SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
So. Cal is expesive!
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be moving from Long Beach to somewhere around Washington D.C.

What can I look forward to car wise? How are the emission rules out there etc. Is here a lot of road salt in the area? being here I have been spoiled by bolts that never rust, sun year round and 5 race tracks with in a 4 - 5 hours drive with most of them being 3 hrs or less

·
Im Not A Chick
4,217 Posts
ok if i was you the first thing i would do is buy a couple of cans of undercoating cause your going to need it because yes they use alot of freaking salt around here...2 emission rule sin mD suck as but you comming from cali should kno better then that right?? 3. def dont have sun year around so prepare for a gray winter lol...4. as far as tracks i kno there is about 2 around were i live that are about 30 minutes away and since your about 3 hours away or so from me then your just abour the same distance as when you were in cali.... but i dont kno your area so there might be something a lil closer....5 there are plenty of sr's around MD and have meets all the time...

other then that welcome to maryland lol... if you do come

·
B13/P11
2,091 Posts
Capitol raceway shouldnt be more then an hour from you.. And traffic really sucks around dc.

·
starting over
667 Posts
Count on having 4 seasons worth of weather every year, with cold but bearable winters and hot hot hot summers.
The road salt isnt that bad really,but if you can grab up a cheap beater that would be your best bet.
I dont think that the emissions are that bad and if for whatever reason you are afraid you would get pinched, register your car in Richmond and you wont have to worry about it.
Summit Point is about 40min to an hour or so from dc depending on what part you live in.
VIR is 4.5 hrs but worth driving 7 for.
Good luck with your move and let us know when you get here, we can do a welcoming party.

·
wants 2 dry hump chriscar
5,188 Posts
when we all ****in show up to meets.....theres quite a few of us and we'r all pretty good friends.

by race tracks.......yes we have p,enty of 1/4 strips but no leguna secas. VIR is just a few miles down the road from DC tho (no more than 2 hours max, very likely less than 1 hour depending on traffic..........and traffic ohhhhhhhhhhhhh the traffic:squint:

summer is humid as balls, winter is dry as piss. road salt all depends on the winter we are having. if its a heavy snow winter ironicly enough they dont use alot to try and save it. however is we have a relativly "snow free" winter like last winter they go ape **** with the stuff when it freakin sleets:rolleyes:

·
So. Cal is expesive!
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like the move is going to be a reality

egh traffic, im used to it. I lived in Santa Monica for a short while. Also all of my commuting has been done on the 405 so im battle tested. At least there is semi decent public transportation.

I have a sentra with no egr. Can I pass @ some friendly smog stations? Also im debating on bring my sentra out there. How easy is it to find another? Right now I have a rust free all the bolts look new 91 se-r. Is it worth it for me to drive it out there or should I just sell and get another out there?

·
wants 2 dry hump chriscar
5,188 Posts
you wont find another one like that on this side. i suggest bringing it over and make sure you keep it clean.....if you do bring it you will take my self proclaimed title of cleanest b13 owner:rofl:

passing emmisions wont be a problem when you have a $50

·
G20 Newbie ;)
887 Posts
Looks like the move is going to be a reality

egh traffic, im used to it. I lived in Santa Monica for a short while. Also all of my commuting has been done on the 405 so im battle tested. At least there is semi decent public transportation.
I would say the most comparable, worse, traffic is the 405 by Wilshire and the 5 through the Boyle Heights interchange.

Moving for work or school? Nevertheless, best of luck.

·
Breakin necks 1 at a time
1,861 Posts
Dude you're gonna love the east coast if you just give it a chance. Everyone I meet from Cali is always comparing and saying how great everything is out there. My company is based in LA(which is a complete **** hole that I hate) and to me there's nothing special about it except the weather is nice. We have beaches and bars and clubs and incredible seafood. We have great sushi and beautiful women that are accually nice and arent complete ****ing morons like most Cali girls I've met. We've got great bud along with anything else you want. Baltimore,Maryland,DC are all very cool places and I'm sure you'll have a great time. Just don't leave DC between 1:45 and 7pm and you'll be fine...

·
So. Cal is expesive!
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would say the most comparable, worse, traffic is the 405 by Wilshire and the 5 through the Boyle Heights interchange.

Moving for work or school? Nevertheless, best of luck.
Dang.. Thats he worst of the worst.. lol I'm on the lightest section of the 405 doign the Long ebach irvine trip. Owell, I'm looking to to try and find a place close to the job so I can take the metro.

I'm going out there for work. Food and Drug Administration. I'll be flying there on the 6th to check it out. And hopefully moving the following week.

My b13 is far from clean. Right now it is in peaces through out my garage. When it will make the trip it will do so without a transmission. Speakign of do you guys know of any good shops? I planned on doign it myself but I will need the engine to be finished hooked up, a tranny swap/rebuild to my welded case and flywill and clutch install.

·
Breakin necks 1 at a time
1,861 Posts
They're are alot of good shops around,but to be honest most of us do our own work or help each other out. You won't have a problem putting together a geek out to get done whatever has to get done...

·
huh??
3,452 Posts
I'm going out there for work. Food and Drug Administration. I'll be flying there on the 6th to check it out. And hopefully moving the following week.

witch location?

·
Nostalgic for Classics
189 Posts
chrisc4me - Wow, that sounds like a pain to have to deal with the move, new job location, AND putting your transmission in. For the price of moving your B13, you might be able to buy one here for the price of shipping the car over... even though the whole rust issue comes into play, but that's part of being an East Coaster. :)

·
So. Cal is expesive!
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
chrisc4me - Wow, that sounds like a pain to have to deal with the move, new job location, AND putting your transmission in. For the price of moving your B13, you might be able to buy one here for the price of shipping the car over... even though the whole rust issue comes into play, but that's part of being an East Coaster. :)
Yae its a pain but a very doable one. Transporting the car isnt much of a big deal because I have to drive my f150 cross country. With the gearing and the bad gas mileage I already get, a trailer doesnt make much of a diffrence.

I was looking for a shop because right now I dont even know where I will be living so i'm not sure if i will be in a place that is car friendly or if we will just rent a house.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts