SR20 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I cruise @ your top speed
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

I'm thinking about replacing my stock ignition coil for a MSD SS blaster unit. Has anyone used these on the SR20VE/DE/DET engines? If so, is it really worth installing without the MSD 6A?

When I searched,I came across a couple threads relating the stock coil as being better then the MSD unit. But the thread was inconclusive from 2003.

If anyone any any new information/install pics and tips,please pass it on:biggthump

Thanks!

This unit....

·
Is an SE-R/VE a VE-R?
2,262 Posts
Yup, but with their fancy ignition (digital 6+) on my ve. Don't know how it would be separately; together, fantastic. Damned thing increased 200revs at idle (and that was on a virtually new (7500 mile) ve. But I'd bet much of it was the ignition.
Jer

·
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, but with their fancy ignition (digital 6+) on my ve. Don't know how it would be separately; together, fantastic. Damned thing increased 200revs at idle (and that was on a virtually new (7500 mile) ve. But I'd bet much of it was the ignition.
Jer
Ya I hear ya. But anyone hear that this coil being underpowered?

·
AWD owns me
4,167 Posts
It made my tach less bouncy, more smooth rpms it seemed. I guess that would be a good thing?

·
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is that just the coil only?

·
AWD owns me
4,167 Posts
yessir

·
Hostile Aberration
4,820 Posts
No reason whatsover to upgrade the ignition with a DE and bolt-ons. The stock ignition is plenty strong.

I don't know about DE-T, nor VE.

·
SNAIL SQUAD
10,271 Posts
I use that same coil on my VE. Out of all honesty I bought it back when I was using a Digital 6. I am now running the OEM ignition system with the blaster coil. Out of all honesty like Shawn mentioned I don't think it will give the car a noticable difference.

I used it again because I already had it.

·
Registered
394 Posts
got a msd blaster ss. when i first installed it, i thought there was something wrong so i did a tune-up plugs,wires and its works great due to all the extra spark/voltage.

·
Is an SE-R/VE a VE-R?
2,262 Posts
I'd agree. Haven't heard anything about the msd coil being 'weak', and I certainly have not felt or seen in the consult any issues in my ve setup, but a stock ignition with no problems should be perfectly adequate. In truth, the only reason I'm running the 8207 and 6520 is for the adjustable rev limiter; Miko's JWT ecus had the limiter removed. I'm guessing that it was the multiple spark of the 6520 at lower revs that made the VERY obvious difference (200 revs at idle) - not the coil by itself (unless the old stock coil was weak, dunno).

·
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
got a msd blaster ss. when i first installed it, i thought there was something wrong so i did a tune-up plugs,wires and its works great due to all the extra spark/voltage.
Well thats good to hear.

Im guessing that the connector in behind the coil needs to be cut? Because there ia only to wires to attach to the new SS coil. Positive and negative.

Looks like a snap. Where did everyone bolt the coil to? Firewall?

·
Is an SE-R/VE a VE-R?
2,262 Posts
Well, it's excessive:
http://photo.angrylabs.com/main.php?g2_itemId=121
Once I made a place for the 6520 by using one of Serban's teeny batteries, the tray was a reasonable spot. Closest spot for you probably the firewall. Looks to be enough room there. Because of vibration and the lack of strength of the little rubber mounts for the 8207, it'd be nice to mount it vertically rather than horizontal, but I don't see a spot for it that way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts