SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, here is the deal. a buddy of mine at work went to SEMA this last week, and talked to a guy who works at msd and he said that they are making a ignition system just for the sr motors. what is even cooler is the guy said it actually made power somehow and made 4X the stock spark. just a fyi. it will probably be out in the spring.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Do they already make ignitions just for other cars like Hondas and DSMs and stuff? I wasn't aware their ignitions were car specific.

·
_______
3,640 Posts
If they are doing what Brian said they are doing it will probably come with a modified distributer cap that is modle specific. They make distributers caps for honduhs already. It uses the same 6a box or what ever you choose to use,6al,sci,7a etc.

Your lucky if you have a 91-93 SE-R because it has an external coil and you can hook a MSD up to it as is(I think).

Mike wanting a MSD ignition amung other stuff.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Do you guys know how to install and MSD-6AL or DIGITAL6 on the 95+ SERs? Would you guys recommend an aftermarket coil? And if so, how would you modify a dist. cap for a new external coil?

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya, that is what I meant. it will be for the internal coil, even though you can go to an external coil and totally modify it. I will probably just wait unless I just get totally impatient.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Do you guys realize how much of a rip off the modified distributor caps are for external coils?

MSD sells a kit for about $4 to convert it. All you do it drill a hole in the cap, put a long machine screw through it and thread on the terminal. THAT'S IT! LOL

However you do need to modify the distributor wiring to run an external ignition box and coil regardless of whether you buy a cap or make your own.

The MSD is NOT car specific, I have a digital 6 and can tell you if you buy one without big boost you are wasting money. Our ignitions are one of the most powerful stock ones out. 50,000 volt coil from the factory, what the MSD Digi 6 does is increase the current to the coil to make a hotter spark, but not a more powerful one.

Again, there is NO power to be had with aftermarket ignitoins on a SR20 running less than 13psi or so.

Jim Wolf has the schematic on what wires need to be cut and a lead soldered and run outside of the distributor to trigger an aftermarket ign box.

Oh and BTW if you do modify the cap for external coil be sure to cut the stock coil tower off at the base, and fill the hole in the cap with silicone so the spark does not engergize the stock sleeping coilpack.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ya, I believe that the system will not need an external coil and use the stock internal. did not get any specific details on exatally what the kit does, but heard one was coming out for the internal coil nissans.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts