SR20 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with MSD Digital-6 Plus ignition control? Or the MSD 6A-L with two step module? How hard is it to install? Much help appreciated...

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
do we even need 'em???

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it can help nitrous applications since there is no 98+ JWT ecu available yet.
(adjustable timing retard only when nos is activated)

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
fred said "I think it can help nitrous applications since there is no 98+ JWT ecu available yet." so here I go again I wanna know too :):) I have talked to some people (no se-r) and have said that it does make a pretty big diffrence in performance. I am going to try out some race plugs when I get paid, probably gonna get some heat range 8s or maybe even 9s or 10s see how that runs. oh, went up to a 70 shot again :) fun, fun,fun,fun,fun,fun times ten enough said

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In addition to the MSD ignition, you can get and MSD rpm activated windows switch. It basically has an on and off switch which uses plug-in chip modules. Good for nitrous, activate nitrous at 3000rpm and de-activate nitrous right before rev limiter. The rpm window switch is like around $76 from Summit Racing. Nice insurance if you don't trust yourself. I'm not sure if it requires the msd ignition, but I'm sure it can be rewired to work with just the nos system if you don't want the msd ignition.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
don't trust myself? ya, now that I think about it, I want one. I have hit the rev limiter twice with the n2o and scared the piss out of me. I do not want to do this again.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hey Fred, I got your email.

Yes I have the MSD, however I do not have the 6AL. (Old technology hehehe) I have the new Digital 6 which is the bomb diggity of MSD's as far as features goes.

Basically it take all the "add on" boxes and includes them inside the unit. They are adjustable with a small screwdriver instead of "pills"

In regards to wiring the MSD I suppose it's all relative. I found it pretty easy.

All you have to do is call JWT and ask for the schematic for wiring an MSD to the factory ignition. (Or maybe I can scan mine if I can find them)

Basically you interupt (cut) a terminal inside the dist and solder a wire to it and drill a little hole in the side of the dist an run it out. That was the old trigger wire for the factory coil. Now you will be sending that trigger to the MSD which will fire your stock coil.

You then have to tap into the +/- leads of the distributor for the MSD, and then interupt the coil wire.

All said and done it's a 4 wire operation. You need the JWT instructions, but someone who REALLY knows what they are doing can just open the FSM as JWT uses the FSM diagram to tell you how to do it.

If you run and external coil it gets even easier as you don't have to interup the coil wires in the dist any longer. However you do have to modify the dist cap for an external coil. piece O' cake.

The Digital 6 will do a timgin retard up to 9* and has a two step rev limit built in, along with few other things that will not matter much. Bascically the two step and retard active whenever they receive 12v+.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Oh and one other thing.

Get an RPM activated switch and have it shut off the soleniod at about 200rpm before factory rev limit This way you will not squeeze up to and past the factor rev limit.

Seen that happen too many times. It's real easy to do if you are not paying strict attention.

If you can't get one, just keep it in mind that when you bang the factory limiter the N2o and fuel will still be spraying.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
cool, I will keep that in mind when I get it soon (I hope) ya, almost peed my pants going well 109 mph down the hwy one time. enough said, engine shut off thought I blew it, and lost a race to a blown maxima (half car:-( )

1 - 14 of 14 Posts