SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
_______
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would a MSD 6A ignition box and a coil be good enough for 15+psi? I'm not sure on the coil yet assuming I'm going to get a MSD one witch would be the best?

Mike

·
Registered
782 Posts
All you will ne is an MSD ignition box. Are you running the DET external coil? If you are, it should be good for 300+ hp as long as you have the MSD. I would suggest getting one of the new MSD Digital 6 or 7 boxes. These produce the same voltage (535v)as the 7AL2 but you don't have to worry about streetability issues. With an MSD coil these can produce up to 55000v. The do cost a littl emore, but you will have no more ignition worries. For example, My ignition still cuts out @ 19 -20 psi even with the plugs gapped @ .020".

------------------
http://members8.clubphoto.com/louis419830/439477/guest.phtml

Louis Anaya 1992 Sentra SE-R
349.6 hp & 301.9 ft/lb @ 19 psi, 12.0 @ 118.77, Bluebird SR20DET, T3/T04E, Deltagate Wastegate, FMAX Manifold, RevHard FMIC, JWT S3 Cams, JWT Ported & Polished Head, 1996 200SX SE-R Welded & Cyro Treated Tranny, ACT Xtreme P/PL & 6 Puck Disc, Cobra MAF, JWT ECU w/ 4 Bar Fuel Program, MSD 50lb/hr Injectors, JWT Fuel Rail, 300ZXTT Fuel Pump, AeroMotive Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Greddy Type "R" BOV, Greddy Profec B, Greddy Boost & EGT Guages, UR 4 Pulley Kit, Powerslot Rotors, Axxis MM Brake Pads, ES Motor Mounts, Topspeed Short Shifter, Momo Cobra Shift Knob, Autometer Shift Light, Fiber Images Carbon Fiber Hood, KYB AGX Struts, GC Coilovers (350F/600R)& 17x7 White Tenzo Shu-4's w/ Yokohama 205/40/ZR17 Tires (Street), 13x7.5 White Lenso VPD's w/ Mickey Thompson 24.5x8x13 Slicks(Drag)

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
It should be, but who knows. Jay H. is running the MSD Digital 6 with an MSD coil and he hasn't had any problems with 21 psi. But, Louis was running a 6A with an MSD coil and he was having some problems at higher boost levels with it. I'm not sure if that got sorted out (could have been something other than the ignition). Personally, I'm running the Digital 6 (well, it's going in one of these days
) and all I've heard about this thing is positive comments. If you don't plan on running crazy boost levels (20+ psi) I think you should be fine. I think that even Ryan is running a box with a stock coil, but I could be wrong. I don't see why you would have any problems with an MSD box and coil.

------------------
David
Boosted '98 Super Black SE
Sentra on Steroids

·
_______
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Louis: I'm using my 98 dist with the internal coil on my DET. I'll need to do the coil wire modification but thats easy enough.

David about the Digital 6: I thought they were only for use on ignitions with out distributers? I swear I read that in the MSD catalog somewhere..

And witch coil should I get? I know msd makes a bunch of diffrent ones. Witch would be the best? I still have the DET one around somewhere but I'd rather up grade because Who knows what its been through..

Once I get the F-max stuff..(still waiting for prices..hint..hint.) I do plan on running some crazy boost when I can so I want an ignition that will handle it.

Mike

·
_______
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Louis I was looking at you pictures and noticed your not getting oil from the block behind the turbo like the stock DET dose. Is their a reason for not doing that? I was going to have a custom line made with a banjo bolt fitting on one end and a an fitting on the other. Just wondering if I shoulden't..

Mike

·
Registered
782 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike Gosselin:
Louis I was looking at you pictures and noticed your not getting oil from the block behind the turbo like the stock DET dose. Is their a reason for not doing that? I was going to have a custom line made with a banjo bolt fitting on one end and a an fitting on the other. Just wondering if I shoulden't..

Mike
</font>

I have custom lines made that haev banjo fittings on one end. I am using the stock DET oil tap!

------------------
http://members8.clubphoto.com/louis419830/439477/guest.phtml

Louis Anaya 1992 Sentra SE-R
349.6 hp & 301.9 ft/lb @ 19 psi, 12.0 @ 118.77, Bluebird SR20DET, T3/T04E, Deltagate Wastegate, FMAX Manifold, RevHard FMIC, JWT S3 Cams, JWT Ported & Polished Head, 1996 200SX SE-R Welded & Cyro Treated Tranny, ACT Xtreme P/PL & 6 Puck Disc, Cobra MAF, JWT ECU w/ 4 Bar Fuel Program, MSD 50lb/hr Injectors, JWT Fuel Rail, 300ZXTT Fuel Pump, AeroMotive Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Greddy Type "R" BOV, Greddy Profec B, Greddy Boost & EGT Guages, UR 4 Pulley Kit, Powerslot Rotors, Axxis MM Brake Pads, ES Motor Mounts, Topspeed Short Shifter, Momo Cobra Shift Knob, Autometer Shift Light, Fiber Images Carbon Fiber Hood, KYB AGX Struts, GC Coilovers (350F/600R)& 17x7 White Tenzo Shu-4's w/ Yokohama 205/40/ZR17 Tires (Street), 13x7.5 White Lenso VPD's w/ Mickey Thompson 24.5x8x13 Slicks(Drag)

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike Gosselin:
David about the Digital 6: I thought they were only for use on ignitions with out distributers? I swear I read that in the MSD catalog somewhere..</font>
Nope. You can get a Digital DIS, but the Digital 6 is still for conventional ignitions. This is the ignition Jay H. was running on his car. As far as coils, you can use something like the Blaster HVC and you should have no problems with spark at higher boost levels.

------------------
David
Sentra on Steroids

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Are u sure u can use the DIS? cause i always thought that it was meant for distibutorless ignition systems like the supra or grand national or even the neon...if so how would u im curios cause my brother has his lying around.

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
No no no, understand that the MSD Digital 6 is not a DIS (distributorless ignition system) ignition. The Digital 6 will work like any of the MSD boxes. Now, a Digital DIS box (which is a completely seperate box) is for DIS. Understand that these are two entirely different units.

------------------
David
Sentra on Steroids

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Excellenct choice Mike! What I like the most about this box is the 2-step rev-limiter function that allows you (when you activate the 2-step) to sit at the line and bounce off of a soft-touch rev limit at whatever RPM you want so you can start building boost before you launch. Once the two step is de-activated, everything goes back to normal and you can rev freely to the JWT rev limit. I think this is sort of how the JWT 2-step works also. Nice feature! Jay H. had this on his car and there's a write-up in the list archives of how he had it set up.

------------------
David
Sentra on Steroids

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
I echo the earlier sentiments: GREAT choice on the MSD Digital 6. I just installed one on my nitrous'd up '93, and LOVE all the features. The adjustable timing retard is nice. The two-step is nice, just as soon as I figure up a way to mount a button on the steering wheel to activate it. (No, I don't want to go the clutch switch route, like some did on the SE-R list. I see potential for disaster with that one. IMHO.)

I retained the stock coil with my Digital 6, and still notice quite a difference when driving around N/A.

Again...good choice.

------------------
Greg Perry, '93 SE-R w/ 149,000 miles, JWT pop, header, ProActive
clutch, ST bar, NOS direct-port 75hp, Autopower 4-point roll bar/harnesses.
[email protected] 1/4 mile, [email protected] 1/8 mile, 1.98 60-ft.

My SE-R page, with videos

·
_______
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dose anyone know how to wire one of these up to a 95+. What wires need to be taped/cut/connected etc.. I got the D6 from the UPS guy today along with the blaster 2 coil. I'd like to hook it up on Sunday. I looked in the arcives...heh found nutin.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
I do! I do! I do!

Actually, I know how to hook one up on a '93. Which I imagine isn't too far off a '95+ car...

Basically, you're cutting the connector that goes into your coil, Mike. That gray connector has two wires going into it: (On '93s) a Green w/yellow stripe wire (+ positive), and a Black w/red stripe wire (- negative). These two wires are the ones you'll be cutting.
Important Part Here: You need to leave enough wire coming out of that gray connector, as you'll be hooking up two wires (from the MSD D6) to it. There's not much slack in those wires, so working space will be tight. YMMV. Look at my setup, so you know how close you'll cut the wires going into the connector that attaches to the coil on the bottom:

Use the instructions in the MSD box for General Import Wiring, and you'll have a great idea of what goes where.

As for colors/what matches up to what (again, this is for a '93, but should do fine):
MSD Black wire ---> Black/Red wire going into the connector.
MSD Orange wire ---> Green/Yellow wire going into the connector
MSD Red (not the power wire for the box, the thinner-gauge one) ---> Green/Yellow wire on the wire-only side of the cut you made.
MSD White wire ---> Black/Red wire on the wire-only side of the cut.

Again,your car may be different, but probably not by much. If you can't figure out which wire is + or -, just guess and hook it up. If the car doesn't fire, then switch connectors on one side of where you cut. Try again. If not, switch on the other side. Eventually, you'll get the right combination, as the car will only fire when all is right.

You'll like the MSD D6 a lot. I do.

I hope this is of help. It was bitch figuring this out all alone when I did my install, and know that some help is better than no help.

If you need any more info...just email me: [email protected]

------------------
Greg Perry, '93 SE-R w/ 149,000 miles, JWT pop, header, ProActive
clutch, ST bar, NOS direct-port 75hp, Autopower 4-point roll bar/harnesses.
[email protected] 1/4 mile, [email protected] 1/8 mile, 1.98 60-ft.

My SE-R page, with videos

[This message has been edited by SERprise In WV (edited 08-17-2001).]

·
_______
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HA! I might monkey around with it! The 95 + ignition is totally diffrent. No coil. Their is a 4 pin connector that plugs into the dist itself and also their is a seperate 2 pin conector that plugs into it. Hmmm. also my box didn't come with any instructions.. The coil did tho. I also need to find out what has to be madified on the cap...

Edit N/M: I downloaded the general wiring instructions from their site.

Thanks,
Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike Gosselin (edited 08-17-2001).]

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Well, dammit. At least we've got the directions now on THIS forum, for future referrals. Damn. I thought I had it down.

I don't care much for the '95+ cars, as you can tell from my (lack of) knowledge about their ignitions.

Just a note: I'd bet anything that the 2-pin connector you mentioned going into the 4-pin one on the distributor is *probably* a negative-positive connection.

Then again...I was wrong from the beginning. I'd ask somebody who has a FSM for your year from here on out.

Us Classic guys shouldn't mix with you 200SX SE-R guys

·
_______
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thats what I was figuring about the two pin connector also. It must be the +/- for the internal coil. About the other 4 who knows.. I got a reply from the list from Brandon Fujishige hope fully he can scan the instructions from JWT and E-mail them to me..

Mike

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Mike;

I noticed in the new Summit catalog I received yesterday......MSD offers 2,4,6, and 8 pin 'deutsche' connectors for the D6 box. Don't know if this would apply to your connections, but it may be worth looking into.

Just a thought.

http://www.summitracing.com

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Look, here's the instructions straight from JWT:

Now, I know the quality isn't that great, but they actually look worse in person!!

------------------
David
Sentra on Steroids

1 - 20 of 23 Posts