SR20 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
FWD PWNAGE IS HERE!
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was reading around to see what tranny fluid to use and I am getting mixed opinions. I have been using mt90 for the last 6 months and it seems to work just fine but I thought I would try something else while my car is being reworked right now. I've read posts from people using all 3 variations of the shockproof and not sure which to get. I did come across this from a friend saying that the lighter shockproofs shouldnt be used on a tranny with syncros... http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlubricants.asp?pvID=87&prodID=61&subcatID=20

What do you think will work best with boost?

·
Registered
722 Posts
I've been using the lightweight for 3 years now and no problem since. I'm thinking of using the heavyweight next time.

·
fabricator
841 Posts
Heavyweight is the best thing for fragile trannies. It is thicker than latex house paint (250 wt!) and cushions the gears. It doesn't shift any worse than regular stuff.

andris

·
Registered
999 Posts
i have been using mt-90 for awhile now and i have no complaints btw very smooth shifting with it...

·
Registered
774 Posts
How about shockproof? I'm about to replace my t/o bearing and am looking at which redline I should use on my car. It's a 97 200sx se-r w/ GTi-R swap and a bunch of other goodies. Stock t-28.... for now. Welded case and cryotreated gears.

David

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
I have been using MT90 for the past 5 years in both cars with great results. I'm refilling the NX with shockproof heavy when the swap is complete. I figured since everyone always says how much they like it on track driven cars I'll give it a try.

·
SR powered S13 coupe
6,728 Posts
I ran MT-90 in my last car with no complaints. Currently running lightweight, but will probably switch over to heavyweight next spring. The reason for the switch is because the car is now turboed... and I like my tranny :)

·
Tired!
10,149 Posts
My brother has heavyweight in his NX and I really like it. It shifts super smooth. I have been sing MT90 for the last 2 years or so and will be switching over.

Brent

·
SE-R Searcher
1,861 Posts
i have a question for those running the heavy weight.... I would agree that it shifts smooth when the car and tranny are warm, but when you jump in and go do you get a small amount of griding when shifting until the fluid heats up? Mine had this problem in the mornings and i figured that grinding 2nd and 3rd every morning would eventually do more damage than using the lighter oil... i'm just wondering if this was just me?

·
Tired!
10,149 Posts
i wouldn't run it in the winter, like temps lower than 45 or so. But here in MI, it has been in the 50's and I jumped in my brothers car after it sat for a couple days and drove it. Never grinded or anything, very nice shifts.

Brent

·
Registered
722 Posts
goneturbo said:
i have a question for those running the heavy weight.... I would agree that it shifts smooth when the car and tranny are warm, but when you jump in and go do you get a small amount of griding when shifting until the fluid heats up? Mine had this problem in the mornings and i figured that grinding 2nd and 3rd every morning would eventually do more damage than using the lighter oil... i'm just wondering if this was just me?
it's just you. :D

·
Banned
2,886 Posts
i drove chriscars SE-R with heavyweight shockproof and i couldnt tell a difference between that and what is in my SE-R..i think MT-90. We are putting in a new tranny in my car, and i am going turbo in june, and i decided to go with heavy shockproof. A llittle tip for those who are using it...put it in the microwave for a bit before you put it in..that **** is THICK!!!

EDIT...not responsible for guys who ruin Moms microwave! :eek: ;) :tongue:

·
FWD PWNAGE IS HERE!
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anyone looking to order the cheapest place so far that I have found is summitracing.com for $7.95/qt and only $8.95 shipping flat fee. There is no hazardous material handling fee whatsoever!!

·
little Thunder
1,969 Posts
goneturbo said:
I'm running the heavy weight shockproof. No grinding when shifting and no problem so far.

·
utahnissans.com
5,051 Posts
SR20 Inside said:
Anyone looking to order the cheapest place so far that I have found is summitracing.com for $7.95/qt and only $8.95 shipping flat fee. There is no hazardous material handling fee whatsoever!!
Order it then ****. :tongue:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.