SR20 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I was wondering if the dynomax ultra flow welded universal mufflers had a straight thru perforated core like most import performance mufflers do, which is recommended for the best power gains and decrease in backpressure??? thanks in advance.

------------------
1992 Nissan NX2000
White...fully loaded

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Thanks a lot jayac, that answers my question...by the way, i noticed your from brick, NJ, well, so am i. Whereabouts are you located?? and what are u driving...maybe ill see you on the road sometime....peace.

------------------
1992 Nissan NX2000
White...fully loaded

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
Anyone have any experience with the canister style mufflers that incorporate a silencer? How much is the airflow affected by the silencer? I have a Greddy SP now that has gotten pretty loud. Will I affect the setup of the Greddy Catback by cutting off the muffler and welding on a new one? I can't take the noise anymore. I know at the track I can just take the silencer out but on the streets/freeway ( he,he,he ) will it affect it to the point that its noticeable? Thanks Guys

------------------
Irwin 96 200sx SE-R (w/ a lil sumptin sumptin) photo viewable thanks to Chrissy!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nismo whats up?! I drive a black '91 SE-R. I live off of Jack Martin Blvd., down the road from the hospital. Where are you? Just today I got my dynomax muffler (#17512) hopefully having it put on tomorrow. I also got a sweet ass 3" SS Thermal R&D tip to put on it. If your interested, you can find a nice tip at californiamuffler.com, they have all types.

-jason

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Hey jayac i live off of chambers bridge road near the movie theatre, ill keep a lookout for your car, im in a 92 white nx2000. Sounds like that setup is going to be sweet, let me know how the sound is and what kind of performance gains you yield from that setup, i would appreciate it. I still have the stock setup on my car and it needs to be changed. My best friend in jackson drives a white 91 se-r. (nismoser) Ill see you around dude.

------------------
1992 Nissan NX2000
White...fully loaded

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I have the muffler in, and i have to say its much quieter than i would expect a straight-thru muffler to be. Its hardly noticeable. There is a slight, deep, growl, great if your looking for a "sleeper" muffler. If your looking for something more noticeable, go with the 14" can. I have the 20" and it fits nicely. And its a heavy S.O.B. Performance wise, I feel an increase in low end power, not gobs, but noticeable, mid didnt seem to change, and high end also increased a bit. What I really like is that to me, the power seems to come on very smooth, more fluid like. Sounds weird, but I dont know how else to explain it. But I like it. So in the end, I'd recommend Dyno-max to anyone.

jason

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Jayac, did you put a resonator or a pre-muffler on your car as well?? Yours is probably kinda quiet cuz you got the bigger can which means a quieter flow. I totally understand what you mean when you say it smoothed out the flow and the acceleration. Did you replace the piping as well?? Thanks again.

------------------
1992 Nissan NX2000
White...fully loaded

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well my car already had a resonator on it just behind the cat, I guess around 10". I was thinking about going 2.25" all the way, but decided not to. I just started a new job after a long layoff and I have more important things to spend my money on right now, but it will be done eventually.
Dont read me wrong, I wasnt complaining that the exhuast was too quiet. I knew the 20" was going to be pretty quiet, and thats what I wanted.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nj1266:
There is no such thing as a quiet straight through muffler. You have to make it quiet by adding a cherry bomb. </font>

What you consider quiet and what I consider quiet could be two different things. Compared to the Stillen muffler that was on before, the Dynomax is quiet. Anybody who wants hear it for themselves is welcome to come by my house for a listen.

-jason

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
Ok, let me clarify. When I said Quiet, I meant quiet as compared to a stock muffler.

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist
Fast 1998 SE-R Last of the SE-Rs
Slow 1996 G20 (AGXs/G20t springs, K&N drop in filter)

G

·
0 Posts
I have the same DynoMax 20" can and it IS plenty quiet even with 2.25 piping and the stock resonator. IMHO, anyway.

------------------
'97 200SX SE-R
JWT Intake and ECU
DynoMax Muffler # 17287
UR 2 Pulley Set (in fast red!)
Some other way too expensive Momo crap.

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
There is no such thing as a quiet straight through muffler. You have to make it quiet by adding a cherry bomb. 2.25 inch mid pipe is the way to go for all NA cars. 3" for Turbo cars. Check my write-up for more. Addy is sig

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist
Fast 1998 SE-R Last of the SE-Rs
Slow 1996 G20 (AGXs/G20t springs, K&N drop in filter)

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nj1266:
There is no such thing as a quiet straight through muffler. You have to make it quiet by adding a cherry bomb. 2.25 inch mid pipe is the way to go for all NA cars. 3" for Turbo cars. Check my write-up for more. Addy is sig

</font>
Heh... Both my Borla and Dynomax Ultra-Flo mufflers are pretty quiet... But then again, both cars still have the stock mid-pipe.

--Andrew Phan
1993 NX2000 (Borla)
1998 200SX SE-R (Dynomax)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts