SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my car warms up, it losses lots, and I mean lots of power. Going from a tire
spinning ability when cold, to a very noticeable lag, the car completely changes.
The engine feels like it has no torque, the sound is noticeable more high pitched,
and the once had power disappears. I know this is a fast car( I can tell when
it starts up), but this is killing me. I tried a new O2 sensor and that didn't
do anything. It's a '95 200sx se-r with 85k miles and no mods. I bought it a
couple months ago. Any help would be great. Don't let a good SR20DE go bad!!!
Thanks.

·
_______
3,640 Posts
Could be your timing. Have you checked it yet? Most SR's are set to 13deg or around that from the factory. You should bump it to 17 and it will be alot better.

Mike

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about that, but would it explain why my car is plenty fast when it starts up and is cold?

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Well when the car is cold, and the O2 sensor is cold, it goes by a different set of rules. And the advance on the timing is probaly higher cold, i dont know for sure but it would be a good guess. Just remember if you bump it up to 17 you should put 93 octane in. I am living with 15 degrees and 89 octane. Its still plenty peppy and cheaper to operate. My car used to be really crappy warm, dont remember cold that much but I think it was better. My timing according to Eric was like near 10. When I did it I could have swore it was at 15. And after/while you are setting your timing, you probaly will have to set the idle too.

------------------
Thats my opinion and I could be wrong

93 classic
Aztec Red, Automatic, POP, STB, OEC battery tie down, AD22VF's, Pirelli P4000's

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
the ecu is in closed loop until around 600 degrees is read by the o2 sensor. it goes into a mode where it runs richer than normal, to avoid any kind of screw up that might happen when cold. it might run a little too rich when super cold, not give enough timing advance, and cause detonation, so more gas, and timing is there. probably

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, ur pullies, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces,stillen lower control arm brace, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap not really worth mentioning

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
oh, and mine is slow too, so nothing to feel bad about

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, ur pullies, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces,stillen lower control arm brace, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap not really worth mentioning

·
SR20GE P11
433 Posts
Brian, explain what you mean by SLOW? Though my cars an automatic I have some of the same mods you have and my car has somewhat a slow acceleration, but thats it. My cars alot quicker with mods than without.

Nigel
95G20t/AUTO
Stillen/header/intake JWT/S3cams/ecu Greddy/MX exhaust.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
just not up to par. what I think it is capable of. oh well, I got a trick up my sleeve having to do with my income tax money

------------------

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is a thanks to all that helped. I found out that my timing was set between 0-5. A little low me thinks!!! The car is great now.

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike Gosselin:
Could be your timing. Have you checked it yet? Most SR's are set to 13deg or around that from the factory. You should bump it to 17 and it will be alot better.

Mike
</font>
screw 17 degrees, put it at 19, my car loves it!!! did it at salt fest and i love it. very noticable. definately helped low end and throttle response. just gotta be sure to use 93 octane, heh.

------------------
Ryan Walsh...1st 97 owner ever to succesfully mount a 98SE exhaust to a 97SER!
relaxing after a quiet ride home from SF2K1. first day without an exhaust in a long time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts