SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
MARCUSMARC said:
I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. Remember guys, this is "stainless" steel.

http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~mikkelmr/200sx/2-10-03/

Btw, the secondaries are perfect, no rust at all, and they get the brunt of the moisture/salt.

~ Marcus

Hmm, thats kinda weird, I havent heard of anyone complaining about that problem so far. Still, it is loads cheaper than Hotshot. Does anyone else have this problem?

·
-John-
690 Posts
Thats dissapointing but no surprise. I've been considering getting one but hear so many bad things and now see another. Here in Ohio there is a lot of snow as well, and the roads seem to be paved with damn salt.

·
stirring but plain-faced
993 Posts
Alot of the discoloration is probly from getting grease on the header when installing it. With stainless it is a good idea to wear clean latex gloves when handling it just before installation. The reason the secondary may not be messed up is that it was not handled as much as the upper portion of the header when you where putting it in. Hey it still looks better than a pacesetter does after 3 months ;)

Edit: 420 posts for me, hahahaah

·
Red line chaser
2,040 Posts
djmayhem said:
Still, it is loads cheaper than Hotshot.
Makes you almost want to put a thermal coating on it. That is wild what is happening to it though especially for a "stainless" piece.

·
The ELITE NX2k Bredren!
5,150 Posts
Nismo654- what other bad thing have you heard that have to do with the Disign?

·
yup
1,208 Posts
NoClassic said:
Alot of the discoloration is probly from getting grease on the header when installing it. With stainless it is a good idea to wear clean latex gloves when handling it just before installation. The reason the secondary may not be messed up is that it was not handled as much as the upper portion of the header when you where putting it in. Hey it still looks better than a pacesetter does after 3 months ;)

Edit: 420 posts for me, hahahaah

ummm.... what he said

·
Bitter Old Man
2,623 Posts
Har har har. You guys musta thought stainless meant inert.

Welcome to the real world where nothing is inert or perfect.

·
My Ass, your face
2,431 Posts
How does it feel to the touch? Doesn't really look like it's pitting or scaling... looks cleanable, at least from the pictures.

But, for the money, at long as it doesn't crack or bust a weld, that's not bad.

Peace Out,
Mark

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
I don't see what the issue is.
I have a complete custom 2.25" stainless steel cat-back exhaust that looks just like that header. In fact it actually looks worse.
You guys didn't expect to see that nice shiny finish stay on there did you? Atleast not for the price.
I have a SS header sitting here in my room right now. It looks real nice, but I never assumed that it would retain that look over time. My concern was more towards the durability of the stainless steel compared to mild steel used on the HS, Stillen, and Pacesetter as well as the durability of the incredible welds on this header.
Your not posting anything that wasn't expected.

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
vladha said:
How does it feel to the touch? Doesn't really look like it's pitting or scaling... looks cleanable, at least from the pictures.

But, for the money, at long as it doesn't crack or bust a weld, that's not bad.

Peace Out,
Mark
I agree! It's stainless steel! Use a brillo pad if you want it to look good. If not, be glad it won't rust away like mild steel.

·
-John-
690 Posts
"Nismo654- what other bad thing have you heard that have to do with the Disign?"

-I wasn't referring to design but the whole argument on how the company is copying other designs and illegit, I'd still like to get one but I will definitely wait till these roads clear up if I do.

·
The ELITE NX2k Bredren!
5,150 Posts
"-I wasn't referring to design but the whole argument on how the company is copying other designs and illegit, I'd still like to get one but I will definitely wait till these roads clear up if I do."

Ok well lets leave that out of this. If anybody has any other PHYSICAL design complaints besides the header blemishes. I want to hear them

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
MARCUSMARC said:
I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. Remember guys, this is "stainless" steel.

Btw, the secondaries are perfect, no rust at all, and they get the brunt of the moisture/salt.

~ Marcus
Oh my god, someone has made a rip off copy of the OBX header! You obviously bought a rip off and will now go to hell for it, damn you. According to some forum experts its imposible for stainless to rust :rolleyes:

Its probably normal rust for a lower grade stainless, like a 400 series stainless. The reason why its rusting worse in the flange area is from some material transfer from the even lower grade of metal on the flange being the nuclus where localized corrosion is starting.

For expensvie stainless fabrication when joining it to a lesser grade of stainless or stainless machined parts, the part is subjected to a process called passivation where its run through a chemical bath to remove the corrosive metal debris.

Don't worry, it probably won't disntergrate and if you repolish it, it will shine right up. If you let it continue, it will get worse. 400 series will last if you stay on top of it. You are not going to get a 304 or 321 header for $150 bucks.

Mike

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
choaderboy2 said:
...Its probably normal rust for a lower grade stainless, like a 400 series stainless. The reason why its rusting worse in the flange area is from some material transfer from the even lower grade of metal on the flange being the nuclus where localized corrosion is starting.

Don't worry, it probably won't disntergrate and if you repolish it, it will shine right up. If you let it continue, it will get worse. 400 series will last if you stay on top of it. You are not going to get a 304 or 321 header for $150 bucks.

Mike

Exactly! Yea it's stainless steel, but 304 or 321? Hell no! That is what a Brillo pad is for, as I stated in my earlier post.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts