SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Gone V8 Hunting Lately?
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really but it is acting like it is. Yesterday I went to school and came back home for a hour break and when I go to leave my car won't start. The starter clicks one time when you turn to key over and then it does nothing. The battery is good, I have 12+V when the key is on. I even tried boosting the car from another battery and still won't turn over. Today I go out and buy a new starter and put it on, still doing the same thing. I got some buddies to come over and we push started it and it ran fine. Turned it off and it won't start back.

We took the signal wire and touched it to the power wire going to the starter and nothing happened. It should have spun or something but nothing happened. From being under the car I am pretty sure that the starter is kicking out but not spinning. I don't think it is the selinoid(sp?) clicking.

Any of you have any ideas or suggestion what I should look for? Sorry for the long post.

Thanks

·
SE-R Mana
759 Posts
My starter just crapped out this morning. I reconfirmed it when I got to work. I'm going to have to kick start it to get back home and then I'll get my brother to replace the starter as he's somehow has done it fairly easily a few time before.

·
Registered
617 Posts
This sounds like an issue with your solenoid as I had this exact same problem once - and the solenoid was the dirty scoundrel......however you've replaced the starter already so wasn't the solenoid a part of it??? Or is the solenoid a seperate part and re-used in Nissans when changing over the starter?? (The car I had a problem with was an Isuzu, don't think I've ever even looked at a Nissan starter motor). The cylinder on the side of the starter motor should be the solenoid as far as I know.....

Confused yet?!?!

·
Gone V8 Hunting Lately?
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the new starter came with a new solenoid. It is just weird that it starts and runs fine and then I let it set for 45min. and nothing but a click. I would have thought that it would have gave some kind of worning that it was going out.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Harry! It's NOT the starter. It is the positive battery cable/connection. Of this, I am almost 100% positive (pun intended).

Remove the positive battery cable, and hit it with battery contact cleaner. Get all the corrosion out of there. Also...scrape the INSIDE of the terminal connector to remove the buildup there, too.

Re-attach and fire it up.

I was forced to do this yesterday on the wife's NX in a convenience store parking lot.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
either that or the electrical part of the key cylinder, but I have never seen those go bad on b13's, just Altimas and Maximas (ironically enough use the same one)

·
Gone V8 Hunting Lately?
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GP I have the battery in the trunk. I checked the voltages with a multimeter and I have 12 volts at the starter connection. I could have a bad ground? As for the ignition switch, I am not sure. When I turn the key to the start position I get one click and then the starter draws current in ( voltage dips to ~10.9V). I have racked my brain tring to figure it out. I am going to work on it again tonight, if worse comes to worse I will hard wire the starter to a switch. Someone has mentioned to me that the factory alarm may have messed up and triggered the starter kill. Although my doors still lock and unlock.

·
Registered
498 Posts
AHH, sorry i didn't see that you had replaced the starter. one thing real quick though--was it NEW, or REMAN? I've seen remanned starters go bad that quick. And did you get that 10.9 AT the starter terminal itself? If so, then the battery connection is not the issue, because if it was, the voltage across the terminal would be the drop, and then at the starter you would hardly see anything. With the battery in the trunk, you have the original terminal grounded to chassis, right? I guess basically what you've gotta do is remove the starter and use jumper cables and the battery to see if it even spins--take the car out of the picture. Or you may be able to do it in the car...probably not. It just doesn't seem like it could be anything else.
I could be wrong(cyoa).

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Humor me, Harry. Remove the positive battery terminal and clean it. Re-attach. See what happens. It only takes, like, 15 minutes. Might save you some trouble.

·
Gone V8 Hunting Lately?
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did remove the terminal and it wasn't corroded or anything but I rubbed it with a bit of sandpaper and put it back on. Nothing. I am going to try and hard wire the starter with another battery. If it works then my battery isn't putting out enough amps or I have a bad connection somewhere. I need to check my ground wire on the engine. Since the battery is in the back I just bolted the negative factory terminal to the chassis. Maybe it isn't a good ground anymore? I have a few different things I want to try but they will have to wait till tomarrow because I have to go to work tonight.

·
FWD PWNAGE IS HERE!
2,570 Posts
SERprise In WV said:
Harry! It's NOT the starter. It is the positive battery cable/connection. Of this, I am almost 100% positive (pun intended).

Remove the positive battery cable, and hit it with battery contact cleaner. Get all the corrosion out of there. Also...scrape the INSIDE of the terminal connector to remove the buildup there, too.

Re-attach and fire it up.

I was forced to do this yesterday on the wife's NX in a convenience store parking lot.
EXACT same thing happened to me. Everything tested just fine but the inside of the connector was just dirty so it would just click and not do anything. Give what Greg said a try to see what happens. ;)

·
No D E T.
1,436 Posts
i second greg on this one. it may show the 12v under virtually no load, but when that starter draws the amperage, the connection maybe crappy and not allow the full amount of power to flow. then it show the same symptoms of a low battery charge. check and clean your connections/terminals.

BTW this is how i got my first car, my next door neighbor went to start his car and it wouldnt start, he got all pissed and came over and said, this thing wont start (my dad is a car mechanic). so my dad goes over there and talks to him, my neighbor said, ah screw it im buying a new car, this thing always has problems. my dad offered him 50 bucks and he took it. my dad shook hands and then shook the (+) battery cable and started the car right up. my neighbor couldnt help but laugh.

i was a proud owner of a 1984 Chevette! The lay-down-brown with the red/orange/yellow pinstripes! it was such a fun car. 4 speed manual. it wasnt bad for being 16 years old. i finally parted with it after doing a 120ft burnout and while shifting into 3rd i broke the differential. the end gears were missing half of their teeth and 1 spider gear broke in half. my dad didnt think the car had enough power to do that.

ok, you may have your thread back.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
My 92 ser was doing the same thing until i fixed it today. I had to take my positive battery cable and cut it about 4" back then strip it and get a new terminal, then it worked fine. It was all coroded inside the cable. When i tried to start my car it would just click but it would push start fine. If i were you id check all of your grounds and (+) connections. Good luck!

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
[email protected]$t9d7 said:
I did remove the terminal and it wasn't corroded or anything but I rubbed it with a bit of sandpaper and put it back on. Nothing. I am going to try and hard wire the starter with another battery. If it works then my battery isn't putting out enough amps or I have a bad connection somewhere. I need to check my ground wire on the engine. Since the battery is in the back I just bolted the negative factory terminal to the chassis. Maybe it isn't a good ground anymore? I have a few different things I want to try but they will have to wait till tomarrow because I have to go to work tonight.

DUDE!! NO SANDPAPER, it wont work! Do what Greg said, I have had this happen before also. Do this, it may be easier for you, but its basically the same thing GP said. Get 2 cups, fill one with some water, the otehr with water, and stir in a BUNCH of baking soda. Take off your battery terminals(may as well clean both). First dip the terminal in the bakingsoda/water cup and swossh it around, you will be able to see stuff coming off. After that, dunk it in the water only to clean it off. Then dry. Make sure you dont get the baking soda water in your batery if its not sealed, it could go boom. That will make them spick and span again, and I'm willing to be tyour car will fire up after that.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts