SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Possible? Not sure. All I know is my car has a monstrous mid-range (relatively speaking) since I installed the 91 intake cam. Especially around 5500-7000rpms. I had JWT S4's in this same car with mostly the same mods about 2 years ago but I swapped the stockers back in, then put the 91 intake cam in a week ago.

I'm not saying the JWT S4's don't make more power - I'm sure they do, at least up top. With the S4's, I really didn't like the LAG that I felt before they started to make power, it sucked. I have no proof like a dyno or track times, but I'm really loving this mid-range power! :)

·
I need me SE-R
1,930 Posts
Most likely because you got low power back. That makes the difference in 'feeling' faster. My friends old 92 Teg with a 94 JDM LS motor, intake, header, exhaust...felt a SHITLOAD faster than mine. He'd always pull on me in first and second, but I always walked by him by 3rd gear by a car or two.

My car is faster, but his feels faster. So, that may be it...

·
Original Owner
1,045 Posts

·
Baby Blue VVL
3,202 Posts
I lost almost 7whp at 3k rpm on the dyno switching from '91 intake cam to s4 cam.

Jordan i felt my s4's were dragging until i found that my timing was set at 12 degrees stock. I now have timing bumped to ~17 and the car is as smooth as it can be sounding like a big block ;)
O

·
SNAIL SQUAD
10,271 Posts
I have a few friends that have stock cams in there SE-R's. They start to pull on my at first but when I hit about 5500 rpm's I fly past them like if they were standing still. Like mentioned above since the car feels peppier in the low end to the mid range it feels faster.

·
Yes Dear.
2,503 Posts
SE-Rican said:
I have a few friends that have stock cams in there SE-R's. They start to pull on my at first but when I hit about 5500 rpm's I fly past them like if they were standing still. Like mentioned above since the car feels peppier in the low end to the mid range it feels faster.

theres nothing like hitting 60mph on 2nd gear before redline.. then switching gears at 65
going to 3rd.. hehe. then taking third till 100.. switchin to 4th.. OMG.. im cray i just hit 135.. and still climbing

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
I was not aware that the S4s lost so much in the low end...from dyno charts it looks like it's only 2-3 hp behind stock at any time.

Maybe those with S4s need to fool with cam gears as proposed by Mike Kojima, to get some midrange back.

According to the results from the new HS gen 6, S3s and HS gen 5 vs. S4s with gen 6 should yield the same low end and midrange with a much superior high end with the S4s and gen 6

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
nizzan4u2nv said:
At stoplights I get smoked by minivans, HAHAHA. Im gonna look into getting some cam gears and c series springs to go hand in hand with my nitrous setup.

Yeah, it basically comes down to this with the S4's: Hold up traffic while you drive normally taking forever to get moving, or step on it, make a ton of noise and get pulled over.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Storm88000 said:
Possible? Not sure. All I know is my car has a monstrous mid-range (relatively speaking) since I installed the 91 intake cam. Especially around 5500-7000rpms. I had JWT S4's in this same car with mostly the same mods about 2 years ago but I swapped the stockers back in, then put the 91 intake cam in a week ago.

I'm not saying the JWT S4's don't make more power - I'm sure they do, at least up top. With the S4's, I really didn't like the LAG that I felt before they started to make power, it sucked. I have no proof like a dyno or track times, but I'm really loving this mid-range power! :)
I think there is some other thread where I explained what to do. Make sure you have a really free flowing exhaust, like 2.5" mandrel bent with peforated core mufflers like Magnaflow, make a 2.5" collector for your header. Test your backpressure, you should have 2-3 or less psi.

Then get adjustable timing gears and advance your intake cam on a dyno, your powerband should get broader gaining midrange while not really loosing top end. when the power starts to fall off (should be around 4-5 degrees with S4's, don't exceed 7), go back to your best setting. Then start retarding the exhaust cam until the same thing happens, normaly this is a few less degrees retarded than the intake. Make sure you reset your timing when you retard the ehxaust cam.

You should gain about 3-4 hp at least in the midrange although your idle will be more lopey. Since you can't afford a ECU get a Nismo FPR and a wide band o2 meter, you should pick up power as you lean the motor out to the high 12's like 12.8-13:1 don't go leaner than this and now you have to run premium. Next adjust your timing on the dyno, if you advance the timing slightly, up to 19 degrees, you will gain midrange but your peak will fall slighly and your after peak will improve. If you have a big bore CAI like a hotshot, you might actualy have to up the fuel pressure 4-5 psi. The hotshot makes the best power of all the CAI's once you up the fuel pressure.

Dyno time and tuning are the cheapest power you can get.

The S4's should yank pretty hard if you do these things.

Mike

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
choaderboy2 said:
Dyno time and tuning are the cheapest power you can get.

The S4's should yank pretty hard if you do these things.

Mike

Mike, thanks for your detailed response! Unforunately I bought the AEM CAI a couple years ago when everyone was raving it made more HP than the Hotshot/Place Racing.

I will consider the S5's though this summer. How much are JWT's adjustable cam gears?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.