SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, I am just finally getting back to normal after this past weekend. It was a ton of work, but well worth it. I'm sure if I had fun, then everyone else had a blast.

On Friday night, it was good to see people I haven't seen from the '02 convention, or even before that. The Houston folks didn't make it last year, so it was great to see George, Kerry, and of course, Bruce. I also got to meet people from the list, and the sr20 forum. Friday night ended early for most people because of the track event Saturday.

Saturday started out a little later than planned, but everything got going, and went smoothly. The track looked simple at first, but it was soon realized, that there were tricky parts for even the advanced drivers, yet not that bad for the beginners. This was the first time I had the VE on the track, and I was looking forward to comparing it to the DE. I also had new Carbotech pads I wanted to try. The track event lasted until the sun went down. The last group on the track were the workers who sat out there all day, while we had fun. I didn't know until the end of the day, that one of our own was out there working. I thought it was cool one of the workers had a Spec V, until the worker chief said he was one of us. If anyone saw that white van driving around the track, it has 450,000 miles on it, and it was full of cases of Amsoil. I almost fell over when he opened the side, and I saw it was full. The trip back to the hotel was fun. Traffic was a little thick, but we stuck together. A big group of us went to dinner that night, and I don't know who was possessing me, but I tried to bribe the front desk clerk to take us to a place outside their area. I used to be the shyest person, and here I was trying to sweet talk her. No, I had nothing to drink that night. All the running and around and the sun took its toll on me. I started to feel sick and dinner, and went to bed early. I know I missed some fun, but I'll make up for it in May :)

Sunday morning came too quick. After cleaning most of the track dirt off my car, Ben Davis, my wife, and I headed to the park to start setting up. People started to slowly trickle in, and the catering people showed up. That food tasted and smelled so good. I went with that company after one of the locals told me about them. I didn't have a chance to try them out before Sunday, but I was not disappointed. After eating, I snuck away from everything, and wandered toward the parking lot. As I came around the building, it was an awesome sight to see all those cars in the parking lot. I took quick pass around, and voted on the cars. I had a few people come ask about the Matt Kempe award, and I directed them toward George and Bruce. I still remember George describing it in Dallas, and I figured he would be the best to let people know. After the raffle drawing, it was awards time.

Best Sentra SE-R went to Dexter Bayack
Best NX when to Greg Patch - Showed up on Sunday, bought some raffle tickets and joined SERCA. He won best NX (very clean car), and won a raffle prize.
Best 200SX SE-R went to Russell McMullen
Best G20 went to Pat Pruitt
Best Sentra SE went to David Nelson
Best Sentra SE-R (B15) went to Rick LeBleu - A local friend of mine who I convinced to go. Now if you guys can just talk him out of the body kit.
Best Rental/Beater went to Greg Vogel
Best of Show went to Dexter Bayack
Furthest Drive finally went to Peter Jackson - After seeing the look in his eyes when he got the hotel Friday night, I knew he drove a long time.
Matt Kempe Spirit award went to me - My wife asked me about this award, and I explained it to her the best I could. I teared up little also.

Sunday night was fun also. Our crowd was down in numbers, but we still had fun. After dinner, Ray Kawski, Peter Jackson, Justin McClanahan, and myself sat at the bar talking. The bartender remember Mike, and she thought he was lying the night before. Ray got her to leave a funny message on his phone. She had to go to the back room to leave it, since we would have made her laugh. I was thinking that the track event, and picnic were just bonuses for the convention. The real fun is hanging out with friends. I need to fly up to the northeast and so cal sometime. Those 2 groups really know how to have fun. We have the greatest group here. We will go out of our way to help others, and that's what makes us special. A great example of this was getting Chris Scarpulla home. Greg Perry pulled his car off the trailer and took Chris' car to Nashville, so we can swap a motor for him. He left it at Phil LaPrad's house. Phil came down with his 2 sons, and I know all 3 of them. Phil had never met Chris, or anyone outside of the Nashville group before. He let Chris leave his car at his house, no problem. Grover also got Chris a plane ticket home. Someone also went around and got enough money together to buy Chris a new motor. I didn't know about this until afterwards, but my contribution will be putting the motor in.

The convention went by too fast, like it always does. I've spent this week recovering, and missing all the friends I hung out with. May is too far away, but before you know it, will be here. I hope that everyone had as much fun as I did, or even more. I want to thank everyone that helped with the convention, and I now know how hard it is to plan an event like this. I don't plan on doing anything like this for a long time. I now need a new keyboard, because I just wore this one out from typing so much.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I had a great time out there man.. Much thanks to you guys who organized this thing. I was a little shy to go and talk to the older guys like you and Ben and that George guy.... I thought I would sorta feel out of place, because this was my first convention and I didn't know a lot of people there. But, I was surprised at how friendly most of the people there were! A nice guy from up North took me for a ride in his 200sx around the road course.. (I can't remember his name).. He had a green 200 with BRIGHT yellow rims.. and a partial cage in the car. He explained what he was doing as he went around the track.. As I had never been on a road course before. I had a blast.. but after about 10 minutes, I asked him to let me out for fear of losing my breakfast.. :p Thanks a lot for the ride man.. I think I'm going to get into SERCA and start racing. It was fun Saturday night to go out downtown with a few Socal buddies.. and drink a few. Mike K, and Greg V were the life of the party late that night... I haven't laughed like that in a while. I finaly met Frank Orozco.. what a swell guy. :) I'm going through some hard times right now.... and bieng out there for a weekend realy made me feel a lot better. Thanks for the great time, and thanks to the guys that helped put this on! I look forward to seeing you guys next year!
Travis

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was Kieran Lavin. I didn't know you were at the track Saturday. The only time I saw you was at the picnic. You should have said hi or something.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Okay, my thoughts about your thoughts, Eric;

-This was my first SERCA convention (gasp) and I must say it ranks right up there with one of the best-run events/conventions/weekends I've ever been affiliated with. And this is all because of Eric.

-Speaking of Eric, I do believe being the organizer of this event has brought Eric out of his shyness, at least somewhat. You reference it above Eric, and I also saw it. Good/bad/indifferent, you be the judge. I happen to like the outgoing Eric.

-I won a prize! First door prize I've ever won at anything. Too bad I wasn't there to accept it in person while the minions dropped rose petals at my feet, but Scarpulla's SE-R needed my help.

-SERCA is what makes this (mostly) online community so terribly, terribly better than any other out there. We're not just a bunch of cyber-geeks. We're real people, with real cars, and we enjoy running them hard in the presence of others just like us. This is critical. Despite the fact that most of our cars are pushing 7-10 years old, this Nissan community is just beginning to grow and explode. This much I learned in 3 short days.

Let's keep the train rolling.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
eric96ser said:
That was Kieran Lavin. I didn't know you were at the track Saturday. The only time I saw you was at the picnic. You should have said hi or something.
Yeah.. I was a little shy.. :p There's always next year..

·
G-unit
1,132 Posts
I agree with Greg, and the others, you did a fine job Eric. This was also my first convention so I didn't know what to expect. I didn't drive at the track event , since there were only so many trailers to go around. :cool: Had some cool roomates that didn't get on my nerves, I might have gotten on their's but it didn't show. :D Met alot of people from the forum and alot of people I didn't know from the forum. All and all I rate this weekend a 15 out a possible 10.

Travis E.

·
-
3,560 Posts
Great job, Eric. You deserve much more than just kudos.

·
Just LTrain Again..
1,147 Posts
llaprad1 said:
Great job, Eric. You deserve much more than just kudos.
ditto.

·
Charlie Brown look alike
3,825 Posts
eric96ser said:
The convention went by too fast, like it always does. I've spent this week recovering, and missing all the friends I hung out with. May is too far away, but before you know it, will be here.

What is going on in May? :)

·
Bitter Old Man
2,623 Posts
Eric, you and Stephanie and Eric whats-his-name did a great job. That was my fourth Convention and it was just as good as any of the others. I feel your pain, too, having hosted a Convention myself.

I really enjoy the dangerous moments at Conventions.
1999: Eating my first fish taco at Tom Paule's insistence
2000: Tornados in the area
2001: Tornados in the area
2003: Knife-wielding homeless drunk

I look forward to next year's SoCal Convention where the dangerous moment will be meeting Naji.

·
Owned by Maximas!
4,064 Posts
eric96ser said:
Best Sentra SE-R went to Dexter Bayack
Best NX when to Greg Patch - Showed up on Sunday, bought some raffle tickets and joined SERCA. He won best NX (very clean car), and won a raffle prize.
Best 200SX SE-R went to Russell McMullen
Best G20 went to Pat Pruitt
Best Sentra SE went to David Nelson
Best Sentra SE-R (B15) went to Rick LeBleu - A local friend of mine who I convinced to go. Now if you guys can just talk him out of the body kit.
Best Rental/Beater went to Greg Vogel
Best of Show went to Dexter Bayack
Furthest Drive finally went to Peter Jackson - After seeing the look in his eyes when he got the hotel Friday night, I knew he drove a long time.
Matt Kempe Spirit award went to me - My wife asked me about this award, and I explained it to her the best I could. I teared up little also.
no pics = lies ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts