SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so many things right now; angry, upset, frustrated, depressed. The one thing in my life that has never gone wrong, never talked back, always responded is my car. I had to go out of town today and my bro (age=24) took my car to check on my tires (they sent me the wrong ones), and I get back and my mom is all "I have bad news"...what they won't take the tires back, he got in a wreck what? No Marcus was driving through the rain he hit a puddle and it just stopped. "HE HYDROLOCKED MY ENGINE!!!" "Well now he was doing you a favor"...did he have to cross the English Channel in my car to do? Needless to say it won't start, a goldfish could live in my engine. He's not home yet so I haven't talked to him. Apparently he was pretty upset too, but he still has a car that works!!! His was in the garage during this whole storm, while mine was drinking water like an alocohlic guzzles hard licquor. If I'm looky I'll drop a DET, but knowing my parents and everything they'll probably won't to drop a stock engine back in it. My bet is it will have to be replaced. For as much water as it sucked down. Damn thing looks like lake michigan. And my dad being the genius he is won't let me touch the engine, so I have to let a dealer do all this. Apparently he thinks it's the electronics as he walks through the door. Whatever. All I know is my car is dead. ****ing dead. Yeah you go to your friends house, I'll stay here. GOD DAMN IT!

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
As someone I know says, "that sucks major dong."

Once your dad sees the potential dealership bill, he may come around to other options. People here and on the SE-R List can help with suggestions, and might be able to offer some credible persuasion.

Oh, and you live in Tulsa now? I remember your sig saying OKC.

[This message has been edited by JimR (edited 06-14-2001).]

·
Registered
858 Posts
wow sorry to hear about that but for about 1500 you can buy a det.
so it won't be that bad especially with the parents feeling sorry for you also. when they see the nissan bill for repair they will buy the det for you quick.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Dude thats FUGGED UP!!!!!! That must have been some HUGE ASS MOFO puddle. I bet he drove through a covered roadway.

------------------
Jordan (Stormy)
Black 1998 Sentra SE w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys (NI), KYB AGX's, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), PWST X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli's, Nis-Knacks goodies

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE: First and foremost, no blame can be placed on my brother. He was doing me a favor and checking on my tires. He is being extremely helpful and offering financing to fix it.
We took off the oil pan and the metal plate (forgot it's name) water was dripping for there. Took the valve cover off to see if maybe a valve was force open but the cams look fine. The engine will not budge. We tried turning the crank pulley. The engine obviously won't turn over. STarter is fine, electrical is fine.
My friend (age=24)has been through this before and he broke a connecting rod and my car shows the same symptoms as his did. If in fact it did break a rod, we are going to compare rebuild costs from a Nissan Dealership to buying a JDM from SOKO or Watabe.
Chamber #1 Apprx. a cup of water
#2- about 1/2 to 3/4 of water
#3- less than 1/2
#4- damp but no standing water

We did notice a car build up on top of the pistons.

QUESTIONS:
<ul>Will i need a new ECU for a JDM motor?
Is the JDM SR20DE also called a Primera engine?
Will the sensors and what not still work?
</ul>

If anyone has been through this please e-mail me at [email protected] and let me know what you went through, problems and prices that you encountered. We will install the JDM by ourselves.

------------------
1995 200 SX SE-R
PR CAI; ACT Disc & PP; ES MM; Pro-Kits; 17* timing; AGX's on June 20th; Courtesy Front STB; Courtesy B-pipe in garage

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
>Will i need a new ECU for a JDM motor?

Nope.

>Is the JDM SR20DE also called a Primera engine?

Yup.

>Will the sensors and what not still work?

Use the one off of your original motor.

Just do it man. No matter who your hookups are, you can't rebuild for less than what a good JDM motor will cost you. Besides, with the JDM motor you can have your car running by next week.

------------------
David
'98 Super Black SE w/stuff

G

·
0 Posts
i have the old motor out and im putting the new one in today in at 4, ill tell you if we run into any problems that you could avoid. btw, if you dont care about emissions ****, just keep the motor how it is and dont swap anyhting over, besides the japan 's intake manifold is visibly better!

G

·
0 Posts
Why not buy a long block from Nissan? It is only a little more than 4000 dollars! I mean, whats $4000! dollars?

GHB

G

·
0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Greg Bell:
Why not buy a long block from Nissan? It is only a little more than 4000 dollars! I mean, whats $4000! dollars?

GHB
</font>
Quick question, what's a long block?

------------------
Jorge

'96 SE-R

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
A long block is a engine that comes with a head, intake manifold, header, injectors, and what not, its prity much ready to just drop right in the car unlike a short block.

------------------

92 NX2000, kyb agx, intrax springs, jwt pop,
3a Racing muffler with bonzi tip,
17 " mille miglia mm 112, Yokoham avid h4

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SOKO
WARRANTY- 6 months or 30 days ???
PRice-590
Shipping- 85 prepaid (pick up at shipping terminal)
ECU/wiring harness- same

early- tb below runners
in stock

late-tb about runners
out of stock

Watanabe
OUT OF STOCK
COST 550
Warranty 12 mnth 12K
Shipping- 200-250

REBUILD
remanuf block, head, swap it out...hoses..coolants
warranty 12/12K
time in shop- a week
estimate - 4800

If you have swapped a JDM into a Sentra, NX, I don't care, if you have ever done a JDM swap please post so I know you are. I need to ask you some questions. AutoSE-R, I know you have done this, anyone else?
------------------
1995 200SX SE-R hydrolocked SR20DE; possible JDM

[This message has been edited by Toddles82 (edited 06-15-2001).]

·
Not on fire... yet
591 Posts
a JDM primera motor should be around 495 or so or is it 395?.... something around there though

------------------
93 NX2K
some stuff and a DET
"project street mod?"
1988 BMW M3 w/ a few toys

·
Registered
883 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RacerX:
a JDM primera motor should be around 495 or so or is it 395?.... something around there though

</font>

I just got mine from a company called N.I.C. for $450, plus a little under 200 for shipping. Here is the copy of the email they sent me:

WE HAVE SR20DE IN STOCK AND OUR PRICE IS $450.00 WITH A 6 MONTH WARRANTY.
ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE CALL US.(1-800-523-2343 OR 310-324-9110)
TKS+BRDGS

------------------

Kris94G20™
"clears and stickers, the best bang for your buck"
The Beginning.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
***UPDATE***
We removed the bottom pan today and took a look at the rods. 2 bend rods for sure.
Cylinder one wall has been grooved by the pin and has a bent rod.
Cylinder two's rod does the wave. It's not pretty.
Cylinder 3 may be bent but we can't really tell yet.
Cylinder 4 looks to be fine. There was water in the exhaust and water in the bottom pan. We don't know about the top yet.
We are making plans to get a cherry picker and get the engine out. Will probably start that monday. I will keep you guys updated on everything. I will have pics as soon as we get the engine out.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts