SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally picked up a BOMZ WAI off of ebay and installed it with only needint to make a few modifications to the adapter bracket for the MAF sensor.

After I installed it my car was running like **** though and the mileage was about half. So I left it on for a week and babied it but it only got a little better so I took it out and really compared the 2. I noticed that the 2 bigger lines coming off of it the vacuum line and the other one were about half the diameter of the stock one. So I put the stock one back in and left the filter on it. I then pinched the vacuum lines and noticed that it made the idle dropped and figured that was the problem.

So anyway I spent a few months driving around with the WAI filter on the stock piping and it worked pretty good but my mileage was still not quite as good as stock but I was getting power gains so I wasn't to worried about it. However I'm never satisfied so I put everything stock back on and drove it for about a month like that. Everything power, and mileage was back to normal, boring normal.

Anyway so last week I was annoyed and the weather up here in canada was pretty good so I felt like tinkering again and put the WAI filter back on the stock tubing. But this time, thanks to advice on here, I flipped the MAF upside down. Holy **** did that make a difference. Mileage with the WAI filter on is better then total stock and the but dyno is definitely reading higher then with the MAF the normal way.

Next thing I'm going to do is take the tube I got off ebay and put the propper size tube lines off it and put that back in and see what kind of difference 3" of smooth piping will make.

So basically what I'm saying anyone that put a WAI and is wondering why their mileage is gone to ****, first flip your MAF if you haven't and second make sure that all the lines coming out of the intake tube are the same diamter as your stock one was/is.

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
That's good to know!

hey you're from kitchener, maybe we'll have a meet this year, you should join us

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts

If the WAI that you bought looks like the one in the pic above, I've had that on my car for over a year, and not once did I have any issues with it, be it with the gas mileage or the MAF getting screwy. I used the stock pipes in conjunction with the ones that came with this "kit", if I could to call it that. The install was quite simple as well. Here is how it looks in my car:

I think regrounding your MAF should help you with resolving the issues you had when using this intake.

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
^^^^

I don't understand what you're trying to tell me dude. :confused:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It does look like the same one you have posted. However the air lines are about half the size as the stock on my 99SE. And if I pinch the stock ones it runs like it was with Ebay tube on...ie idle starts to drop off and the car runs like crap. So it's possible that the tube i got was for a 1.6 and not a 2.0 as it was supposed to be, or there is a difference.

At any rate, I can't see why a re-ground of the MAF would help since it runs fine stock, and with the WAI as it is. I was also extremely carefull when disconnecting the harness since I didn't want anything damaged.

Once I finish fixing up the pipe with bigger air lines on it I'll put it back in and see how everything works, my guess is that it'll work as good, if not a little better.

That said though I'll check the MAF voltage when I get a chance out of curiosity anyway. As it is though everything is running fine idles at 7-800 and the milage is currently normal or better with stock tube and cone style filter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts