SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I finally got around to installing my Momo wheel into my car. It was much easier to pull and replace then I thought. My wheel comes with horn buttons and wires, but I have no clue how these would wire into the harness that was originally in there for the airbag.

Should I get an aftermarket horn and rewire the entire thing? If so how would I do that? I just want to get my horn working! Help please.

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
This was just covered (again) a couple weeks ago. There is information in the archives on how to get your horn to work. Its pretty easy once you see the procedure.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was on the thread where they talked about the pen trick. I do not see what parts I would do that do or what wires from the harness in the wheel I would splice into. Also if it a pressure thing, my wheel has buttons on it, not a pressure item. The wheel has two wires coming from the buttons.

I have a Momo Thunder wheel, here is a pic from a catalog of the wheel. I will post some pictures of the install later today or tomorrow.

Really I am interested in just wiring in something aftermarket I guess. Any help would be great guys.

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
The wire you need to tap into is in the yellow sheathed airbag harness. I don't remember exactly what color it is though (I think it has a green stripe on it). You need to cut that wire and run a jumper wire to the back of the stalk. They you use the pen spring and contact in the hole on the front side of it and that will make contact with the copper surface of your hub. Its been a couple years since I did mine so its a little fuzzy but thats the jest of it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has anyone installed an aftermarket horn? Like one of those PIAA set ups to replace everything and you wire in a new horn. That is what I am really looking for, I search other forums and the web and I cann not find anything.

·
AWD owns me
4,167 Posts
dude just take the old horn wire from the stock wheel and connect it to the one(s) on the new wheel. I have the momo race in my NX. horn works

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The problem is that I did not have the stock wheel in there when I got the car. It was an older Nissan wheel put it after an accident that made the airbag go off. So they replaced the wheel with something else.

I do not know what wire from the yellow wire harness is for the horn. Also, I have two wires coming from the Momo wheel, and then one wire was in the Momo Hub. I am assuming one wire from the wheel should match up to the wire in the hub (ground wire right?) and then the other wire would go to something, but I don't know what.

Maybe if I drew this out I could understand it better and others can help more. I just want to go beep beep... I have not had a horn in this car since I bought it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright... maybe this will help. I know this is a rough diagram (I made it quickly). Let me describe what I have:

My MOMO wheel has two horn buttons on it. They are wired together and from the wheel come two wires, a black one and a red one.

The MOMO hub has one wire coming from it, a black one. It seems to be grounded to the metal ring in the hub. There are no holes in the hub to allow me to pput wires through it.

I have a yellow harness coming from the steering column. I took the connector piece off the end that went to the OEM wheel I am assuming. There are I think four wires in the harness.

Here is my quality diagram:

Here is a shot of the hub on the car, and the wires from the wheel.

Any help would be great folks. Once I get this done I will post all about it. I just would like some help with wire matching and any other tips people might have.

If this does not explain my problem well enough maybe once I get it apart again I can take more pictures and post those. Help please?

Thanks!

·
AWD owns me
4,167 Posts
just ground out the wires one by one until the horn sounds, splice the two horn wires from the wheel and connect to the horn wire. bingo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts