SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the other day I was slowing down on the not-so-freeway and downshifted to 4th when suddenly my tranny popped out of 4th. It felt as though I didn't complete the shift. A few seconds later I heard the sound of something being knocked around in my tranny or bell housing. I pulled off the freeway and called AAA to tow me home. I let the car sit in the garage for the weekend.
A few days later my cousin and I pulled off the tranny hoping it was just going to be a broken clutch disk spring but here was the first sign that the clutch wasn't the problem.

When we pulled off the tranny we saw the clutch was looking good so we decided to open up the tranny case. Well here's a pic of that.

You should be able to see a bunch of metal chunks all over and 4th gear is completely torn up. Here is a closer pic.

You guys are probably wondering how the heck I managed to do that to 4th gear. Well here is the answer.

This bolt was floating around when we opened the case. It came loose and got caught between the gears causing them to shatter. I also found its neighbor bolt working it's way out.

Now check this out. Both bolts had helicoil on them which i'm assuming is because the people who worked on this tranny stripped the threads while working on this tranny a while ago.

Now what really sucks is these gears were shotpeened and cryotreated, the case was welded, and it's got a nismo lsd. I'm hoping I can still salvage the lsd.
I'm no tranny expert in fact this is the first time i've ever opened up a case. I was wondering what you guys think I may be able to salvage. Would it be safe to use the other gears if I can clean of all the metal chunks?

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
whats the green stuff??????

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Did it have any kind of warranty from the knuckleheads that stripped the bolts? It sucks if you are out a tranny.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The green/turquoise stuff is the redline shockproof lightweight gear oil. You can tell it works because it really sticks to the gears. I love that stuff. Too bad it's not boltproof.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Setzer said:
Did it have any kind of warranty from the knuckleheads that stripped the bolts? It sucks if you are out a tranny.
I have no idea. My dad bought a car which was previously turbo'ed but still had the beefy tranny in it. Since his car was now NA and mine was turbo'ed he let me swap trannys. I don't exactly know who worked on this tranny before but I have an idea. Since I'm not 100% sure who it is I don't want to mention any names. Looks as though my dad got the better end of the deal though.

·
Big Juice & Big Boost
832 Posts
good thing u stop driving the car after u heard that knocking noise, or els you say bye bye to your whole tranny

·
The Super Mechanic
645 Posts
You can still salvage most of the tranny. I would completely take it apart. Clean all the parts and inspect all the gears. From my view I think you can replace the input shaft and 4th gear. I would check fifth real close. As far as the case goes I would tap the hole to the next size up bolt, or replace the case. since you welded the case I would actually tap it bigger. The diff should be fine just clean it real good

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
celm said:
where did u get the green stuff from?
I bought my Shockproof heavy from www.myoilshop.com
Order online and use dealer code 675421 for 10% discount. I've bought from them a few times, they've always done a great job, and it'll get to you quickly since they're in Pennsylvania.

C

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
chriscar said:
I bought my Shockproof heavy from www.myoilshop.com
Order online and use dealer code 675421 for 10% discount. I've bought from them a few times, they've always done a great job, and it'll get to you quickly since they're in Pennsylvania.

C
yup that's where I got mine.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
supercowboy said:
You can still salvage most of the tranny. I would completely take it apart. Clean all the parts and inspect all the gears. From my view I think you can replace the input shaft and 4th gear. I would check fifth real close. As far as the case goes I would tap the hole to the next size up bolt, or replace the case. since you welded the case I would actually tap it bigger. The diff should be fine just clean it real good
I'm thinking of just buying another tranny and swapping parts over. I've never done any tranny internal work before but I really want to. I have a FSM do you think that's enough to be able to take it apart and put it together myself? Any other tips?

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
Its actually more blue than green. I get mine locally. SOFLA people are so much cooler and dont need to order it online :tongue:

·
The Super Mechanic
645 Posts
SE-R-2-Go said:
I'm thinking of just buying another tranny and swapping parts over. I've never done any tranny internal work before but I really want to. I have a FSM do you think that's enough to be able to take it apart and put it together myself? Any other tips?

Its easier than you think. The only pain in the ass is the linkage. whenyou take the linkage of (3bolts) then take the other 2 stripped bolts out the shafts come apart. then look at the fsm and take it apart 1 piece at a time.

·
master of nothing
2,231 Posts
If they stripped the bolt hole they should have welded them up and retaped them. The right way. I never trust heli coil on sumthing like that

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yup i wish they did weld/retap it. Well I got a stock tranny and slapped that on for now so I have something to drive. I'm gonna get this broken tranny fixed when I have the $. I'm gonna have the holes welded/tapped then too.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've got my old G20 tranny laying around and was thinking of taking it apart for fun. I've heard that stacking the gears on dowels as you take them out is a good way of keeping track of where stuff goes? Anyone have any experience with this? Also just wondering if maybe anyone has a spare 1st gear laying around, when in first my shifter would wobble like crazy so I swapped trannys. But I'd like to maybe replace 1st gear and use it for a spare tranny.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts