Me:
R/T: .740
60': 2.487
[email protected]

Chrissy:
R/T: 1.687
60': 2.391
[email protected]

You can see I got progressively worse from my 1st run, then I sat for a while and advanced my timing to 17 deg. and ran the best of the night. I need work and more mods . I set my rear AGXs to the highest setting for all of those 17 sec runs and I got massive wheelhop. So I put them back for my last run. Set on 5 I got a great launch compared to the rest of the night.

My car setup:

Stock 15s on the front w/ Kuhmos at 25psi
17" Enkies on the back w/ Kuhmos at 40psi
PR CAI
Stillen muffler
Spare/jack removed
17 deg. timing for the last run

------------------
Greg Taylor
Black 96 200SX SE-R
More info on my car

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
you got beat by a girl
hahahahahahahahahahahah

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, ur pullies, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces,stillen lower control arm brace,SMC BAKB, motul 600 brake fluid, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Yeah those times are horrible. I must say I am not your avid drag racer but the first couple of times are rough. But man they were rough for ya. Just with the PR CAI alone you should have better numbers. You need to learn how to drive that car a lil better Greg. I will be going to the track soon so i'll look you up then. Til then go out on a strip somewhere and practice your launching technique and shifting points. You'd be surprised how that can help you next time you go back to the track. Good luck!!

------------------
Peter M.
AIM=NyceP26
97 200SX SER
http://photos.yahoo.com/nyceser

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Ah, Greg, you really need to work on your launches.
The 60' foot time is KEY to drag racing, especially in FWD 4-cylinders. Your run number 5 had the best launch, a 2.487 60'...thats not bad for your first time racing, but it's looks like both your cars are down on power with the 84mph trap speeds....usually a stock SE-R should be around 86-87...

------------------
-Nuke the bastards-

Stormy
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Spings, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), Brembo X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli P700z's

www.WhiteLineRacing.com

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
Hey Greg, your car is looking really great! A lot better than when you first got it. Now you just gotta get some speed to back it up
Anywayz... when my car was totally stock, I ran a 16.5.....

Since you said that you removed your spare and jack, I'm guessing you took out the subs too so that's not why you're running slow.

I'm guessing it's all in your launch technique. I'm not a great drag racer or anything, not even that good, but I've cut 2.35 in the 60'. I hear that if you're good, you can cut 2.2 on street tires.

First of all, your 60' times suck. 2nd thing, you say that you're getting massive wheel hop. That's probably an indication that you're launching at way too high of a rpm and just dropping the clutch. Remember, wheel hop is very very bad and WILL cause your tranny to self destruct. Whatever you do, don't cause wheel hop!

I think the best technique to getting a good launch requires slipping the clutch. So while launching, you keep up the revs so you don't bog but you slip the clutch so you don't over power the wheels. You just let out enough clutch to get a little wheel spin... Once your tires fully hook up, you let it all the way out with your foot to the floor. This will probably net you the 2.2 60' times. Basically, you have to modulate your clutch and throttle until the tires fully hook up. I personally don't like slipping my clutch like that because it'll wear it out faster. Anywayz...

Jay H. had a good write up on how to launch, search for it in the se-r.net archives. Good luck!

------------------
'96 SE-R.... a few tweaks here and there :)

·
Old
744 Posts
Aren't you suppose to put this in the Drag forum there sparky? LOL
Anyway, yeah you got beat by a girl!
My last run felt so slow, I was groggy and about to pass out from a migrain, explains my reaction time. I had to have my bf drive me home I was so bad. But somehow it was my best time ever. Maybe next time I should have someone hit me over the head....
I couldn't stop from getting the wheel hop. My last 3 runs I got it. Then Marc tells me I'm gonna break something...
Thats what I need to work on. Then I should be able to get a better 60' I hope.

·
Registered
756 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Storm88000:
Ah, Greg, you really need to work on your launches.
The 60' foot time is KEY to drag racing, especially in FWD 4-cylinders. Your run number 5 had the best launch, a 2.487 60'...thats not bad for your first time racing, but it's looks like both your cars are down on power with the 84mph trap speeds....usually a stock SE-R should be around 86-87...

</font>
Storm is right. Last wednesday I was trapping at 83/84. My usual is 87/88. My car is fast approaching the 60k mile mark, so I'm going to blame the bad traps on the plugs, cap and the rotor. Which all need to be replaced!

·
SNAIL SQUAD
10,271 Posts
I have been told that ES motor mount inserts will stop alot of the wheel hop. I am going to invest in them very soon. I also get alot of wheel hop when I go to the track. My good friend Serban (fast91ser) has them and he tells me they are awesome.

92 Red Classic
---------------
Primera swap, NOS, PR CAI,MSD, H/S Header ACT clutch and pressure plate , Custom exhaust!

·
NX2K Junkie
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah you guys are right about my launch, etc. Also I do think my car is down on power. I want to run a compression test on it.
Here is a summary of how my car acts:

- Stalled
- sputters during accel
- smelled a little sulfur

here is what I think could be possible probs:

- running rich
- bad cat
- cloged EGR
- slipping clutch

Any input? My car feels like ****...

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SE-Rican:
I have been told that ES motor mount inserts will stop alot of the wheel hop
</font>

IMHO the ES mounts are a *MUST* for anyone with an SR20 that drag races, or just generally drives in a spirited manner. The ES mounts were one of the cheapest and BEST mods I've done to my car. They benefit the car in so many ways.

Also, get the ES control arm bushings, that will help your launches as well.

------------------
-Nuke the bastards-

Stormy
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Spings, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), Brembo X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli P700z's

www.WhiteLineRacing.com

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by borguesian:
Here is a summary of how my car acts:

- Stalled
- sputters during accel
- smelled a little sulfur

</font>
Wow, and you went to the track with that?
Definately have some tuning issues....how many miles do you have on the car? When does it stall? While sitting at a light or while crusing?

Sounds like a tune-up is on order.

·
NX2K Junkie
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ohh yeah... the rotor, cap, plug, and wires were all replace about 10k ago along with the injectors being cleaned.

The sputter is between 3-4k and it feels like the car hits a brick wall for a second.

[This message has been edited by borguesian (edited 09-15-2001).]

·
Old
744 Posts
Hmm...my car stalls at least twice a day when I start it. And if it doesn't stall it idles around 1600. I'm clueless.

·
Old
744 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jerome:
Does the RPM jump around at startup? And then at operating temp it runs okay?

</font>
It just kinda stalls. No matter what the temp or ow long I have been driving it.

·
NX2K Junkie
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Does anyone think my CAT could be going bad? It feels like my car hits a wall and loses everything between 3-4k... I hate it! Then it feels like a turbo hits after 4k.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts