SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is all my opinion, but I thought all in all the The Fast & Furious was pretty good.

Pros:

1. Cars cars cars! They are everywhere.

2. They mention "SR20" (although it seemed forced and out of place, I still can't figure it out why)

3. Acting was pretty good, except for the main character (the blond guy, can't remember his name) He was a bit too "calm" in certain situations a normal person would have flipped out (i.e. an Asian gang blowing up his car while he watched) Van Diesel was very good.

4. Loyalty & Morale - there is a climatic showdown between two of the main opposing characters -it was well done.

Cons:

1. Stereotypes. This movie had them all. Asian gangs that participate in drive-bys, Latinos that are in LA gangs. Then they have the white guy who seems out of place in their social scene, and of course it turns out he's an undercover cop.

2. Storyline. Some of it seemed forced. I still can't figure some of it out.

3. RICE. Some of the cars were really clean and good looking, but others were horrendous.

4. Realism - some of the stunts were just too hard to believe.

Well thats my take on it. I'd see it again and it was worth the money. It's a good movie to go to to have fun, nothing more.

------------------
Stormy
Black 1998 Sentra SE w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), PWST X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli's, Nis-Knacks goodies

www.WhiteLineRacing.com

·
Pew Pew Pew
2,829 Posts
Yeah I agree. I thought it was pretty good. Don't go into thinking that it will change your life. Hell it's just a fun way to kill a couple of hours.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Wasn't bad at all.. some details were overlooked and the plot sucks, but if you want an earth-changing movie, look elsewhere. It was a fun show to watch...

Some things that I just couldn't stand...

1) That guys always calling Nitrous Oxide NOS!
2) OK... you're street racing, getting your ass kicked by faster cars... you would be concentrating on shift points, NOT flipping between two laptops!
3) The geeky dude turns his nose up at the wrecked Supra Turbo, then exclaims with joy when he opens the hood, "It's got a 2JZ!". What engine does the Supra Turbo come with again?
4) Wheelstands are cool, as is tire smoke. But please don't tell me that you could ever physically combine the two. If your tires can't keep the car going, how can they lift the front end of the car?
5) At the final climatic scene, where the dude hands the bad guy the keys to the Supra, it's not running. Wouldn't a smart person idle a wunder-modified 10-second Supra after totally beating the **** out of it? Or, in the midst of all those Apexi parts and gadgets, wouldn't someone have thought to put in a turbo timer? Then again, someone did say that the ring leader had gasoline tanks for brains...

Oh well... I'm nitpicky, tired, and way too critical. It was a fun movie to watch... it solidly beat the remake of Gone in 60 Seconds, and overall it didn't do too bad of a job of painting a picture of the import scene. It's not 100% realistic, and it definitely won't win any oscars, but it was fun. I still have a soft spot for Vanishing Point and The Gumball Rally though

·
Zed's dead baby
336 Posts
Well, I liked it. I wish there was more racing and more cars that were shown racing. There were some nice cars in the background. Just before I went to see it, they had a behind the scenes thing on E! They showed how they did that wheelstand with the Charger, it kinda ruined it for me.

------------------
'95 200sx Se-R Stillen Exhaust, Weapon R adapter intake, 17" Chrome w/ Nitto NT 555, Arospeed Adjustable coilovers

·
Registered
846 Posts
Honestly, I thought it sucked and didn't help our image as import enthusiasts at all. I knew it was going to be stupid and that they'd get technical stuff wrong... I was expecting that, but it still could of been a fun movie. Unfortunatly there was really nothing redeeming about the movie at all.

They tossed around a lot of names without any real logic, here are some just off them off the top of my head:

1) (Spoon+Turbo+NOS=Stupid Writers) Yeah... let's take a 12:1 CR motor and throw in lots of boost! Yeah! right.

2) Let's run Nitrous and a Turbo in a S2000! Again, CR?? 100k Under the hood? Huh?

3) Perhaps the funniest is during the big 4 way street race... the blond cop is looking down at his laptop and sees "warning manifold about to fail" or something like that? huh? Putting aside the absurdity of looking DOWN at a laptop in a 4 way drag race... the message gave him no useful information and looked like something that was slapped together for the movie at the last second.

4) Diesel - This guy's whole life is built around the quarter mile and he's running around with a full interior and 300lbs of stereo ****? Huh?

5) The main cast were all a bunch of thugs stealing shipments of electronics to support their street racing fun? Huh? ****, why not just sell drugs... it'd be cheaper and easier (and probably safer). They obviously don't care about the morality of it all. The cop falls in love with the main thug's sister and has to let him go at the end? Huh? He's a low life thug...

6) The Asians were all stereotyped... first they're portrayed as being the false suspects for the armed hijackings... then they blow up the Eclipse... then they do a drive by... then they get chased down and killed by the "good guys" (who just happened to be the REAL bad guys - including the cop who goes bad).

God, I could go on and on... the movie sucked. I heard it being compared to Top Gun and Iron Eagle when I was walking out of the theater. You can say both of those movies were shallow at times and definitely had their technical flaws... but at least they had a sense of morality, of right and wrong... and had good strong characters to overcome the technical flaws. Both movies also helped promote the general image the public has of pilots. I seriously doubt TFnF will do the same for the hobby we all love so much. I guess it's the false portrayal of morality, of right and wrong, that I hate the most about TFnF.

Well that's my review of it. I went in expecting a stupid (but fun) summer movie and walked out thinking that I not only wasted my money but also was a bit ashamed to be driving a Civic/SE-R.

------------------
- Yosho
'96 200SX SE-R
'00 Civic Si EBP

[This message has been edited by Yosho (edited 06-23-2001).]

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">) The main cast were all a bunch of thugs stealing shipments of electronics to support their street racing fun? Huh? ****, why not just sell drugs... it'd be cheaper and easier (and probably safer). They obviously don't care about the morality of it all. The cop falls in love with the main thug's sister and has to let </font>
Stereotype as it may be there is a lot of truth in it. Do you know how a lot of top racers really get their funding. I am not going to say I deefinately do but a lot of them either did or still do illegal stuff to get their parts money. If you don't believe me read this:
http://cbsnewyork.com/StoryFolder/story_085181937_html/#

Turbo Tito. The fastest Porsche that is street driven on Street tires. I don't know about you but I know a lot of so called top tuners who started out very very illegal. Not to say it is right, but it is the truth.
Just like alot of rappers who "swap" lifestyles.

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Honestly, I thought it sucked and didn't help our image as import enthusiasts at all. </font>
Yeah, I agree. But real import enthuiast don't street race. They track drag or Autocross/RoadRace. Only wannabe's who are afraid to post times on the track do it exclusively.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I noticed the part about the Supra not running after being beat to ****. A friend said something about it also. I thought the laptop part was funny too. Did anyone notice that the Eclipse wasn't a OE turbo car? Also, at the beginning, the black Civics were driving fast, yet the blow off valves were loud as hell. Don't those only make noise when you fully let off the throttle, like shifting? I'm just glad there wasn't a single B13, B14, or B15 in the movie. We don't need that kind of negative exposure.

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
Haha, yea it was a non turbo eclipse and they said it had a turbo. Then this non turbo eclipse hit 140 mph. hahahahhaha yea right. And that was before he put on his NAAAAS. A non turbo eclipse can keep up with a twin turbo supra?? sure. the quarter mile times are posted on the website, and it says the eclipse runs 14.1. Whatever, waaay to unrealistic for me. My favorite part was the race with the orange supra and the ferrari.

------------------
97 Super Black 200sx SE-R
Hotshot CAI, custom 2.5" catback with dynomax super turbo muffler, Hotshot header, UR pulleys (2 set), JWT ECU

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 97 Black SER:
Haha, yea it was a non turbo eclipse and they said it had a turbo. Then this non turbo eclipse hit 140 mph. hahahahhaha yea right. And that was before he put on his NAAAAS. A non turbo eclipse can keep up with a twin turbo supra?? sure. the quarter mile times are posted on the website, and it says the eclipse runs 14.1. Whatever, waaay to unrealistic for me. My favorite part was the race with the orange supra and the ferrari.

</font>

The Eclipse was supposed to be Turbo. I thnk when JaRule was looking at the engine one guy looked at it and was saying that I had a T4.

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MikAnchovy:
Wasn't bad at all.. some details were overlooked and the plot sucks, but if you want an earth-changing movie, look elsewhere. It was a fun show to watch...

Some things that I just couldn't stand...

1) That guys always calling Nitrous Oxide NOS!
2) OK... you're street racing, getting your ass kicked by faster cars... you would be concentrating on shift points, NOT flipping between two laptops!
3) The geeky dude turns his nose up at the wrecked Supra Turbo, then exclaims with joy when he opens the hood, "It's got a 2JZ!". What engine does the Supra Turbo come with again?
4) Wheelstands are cool, as is tire smoke. But please don't tell me that you could ever physically combine the two. If your tires can't keep the car going, how can they lift the front end of the car?
5) At the final climatic scene, where the dude hands the bad guy the keys to the Supra, it's not running. Wouldn't a smart person idle a wunder-modified 10-second Supra after totally beating the **** out of it? Or, in the midst of all those Apexi parts and gadgets, wouldn't someone have thought to put in a turbo timer? Then again, someone did say that the ring leader had gasoline tanks for brains...

Oh well... I'm nitpicky, tired, and way too critical. It was a fun movie to watch... it solidly beat the remake of Gone in 60 Seconds, and overall it didn't do too bad of a job of painting a picture of the import scene. It's not 100% realistic, and it definitely won't win any oscars, but it was fun. I still have a soft spot for Vanishing Point and The Gumball Rally though
</font>

I just caught a matinee. It is a good movie. If you expect to watch a movie/documentary about drag racing this is not the movie you are looking for. Anyone who watched Speed will relate to this movie. It is a Speed type movie that uses import race cars instead of regular cars. I would have liked to see the Charger make it and he race it in his fathers memory. What a waste but anyway.....it is good. I will definately get it when it is on video.

Also it is nice to know that 3 SR20's are enough to catch an ass beating for and have 40Weight oil poured down your throat.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I thought it was good. There were so many people revving in the parking lot when it wsa over though.

Good movie though. Makes me want to turbo my SR20

·
Pew Pew Pew
2,829 Posts
I talked with my pop's about the scene with the charger and he told me back in school the muscle car freaks used to come through the parking lot pulling wheelies like that. There's no replacement for displacement.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I just got in from seeing the movie AGAIN, two nights in a row. I went with a bunch of friends that didn't see it last night so it was cool.

Saw a kid in a freaking Hyundai ripping around in the parking lot smack a curb and promptly get a visit from the Colonial Regional cops.

------------------
Stormy
Black 1998 Sentra SE w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Spings, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), Brembo X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli's, Nis-Knacks goodies

www.WhiteLineRacing.com

G

·
0 Posts
The Eclipse was supposed to be a turbo in the movie. In real life, it's just a RS. About the BOV's, I didn't notice any of the cars having BOV's, at least none of the one's I've had experience with. What about turbo timers? Running a bad-ass Supra with no BOV and no turbo timer? YEAH RIIIGGHHHTTT! With all the NOS, no purge seens. Those guys were running close, if not more than a 100 shot, you bet I'd have a 15 foot stream from in front of my windsheild! We won't talk about the under trailer thing! Jumping your car? NO. The two cars that seemed to be the most realistic was Skyline and the Maxima w/the tilt hood. The RX-7 was nice, but a full interior and a killer system in a supposed 10 sec. car? Yeah, blow me!

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
I could have swore i saw a BIG, SHINY TURBO under the hood of that eclipse when they were looking at it before the 4-way street race. i liked the sounds of the BOV's. I wish my SR20 made that noise.

4 NOS bottles in the RX-7? is such a thing possible?

------------------
Is that a honda? What is that silver thing?

·
NX2K Junkie
448 Posts
Why do you guys bitch? It was a MOVIE... Key word here being MOVIE. Lots of movies are overdone and fake. Give me a break, it was good clean entertainment. I loved it and I'll prolly buy it on DVD. If you didn't like the fakeness then get of your high horse and write a completely realistic movie that sells. When you were buying the ticket did you plan on seeing, "The Fast and the Furious" or "Street Racing, a Documetary on Drag Racing in Public Streets". Give me a break

------------------
Greg Taylor
96 SE-R w/ stuff
"Walk tall and carry a big stick..."

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I must say there is a lot of bikering on this topic. Unless you are a major movie critic then STFU.... All in all the movie was good, but with a lame plot. Then again who cared teh plot sucked? I know I didn't and the guys in the back of me making such noises. Is it just me or was the theater you went to go watch the movie full of kids and people not of legal age to even drive. Some kids were saying stuff like "I can't wait to get me a car like that" Even knowing that their mom/dad was outside in the station wagon picking them up and the other group of kids.

Hope you all liked the movie and had a good time laughing at The Realism, but I guess thats what you get.

------------------
Peter M.
AIM=NyceP26
97 200SX SER....now with HS Gen 4 Headers

·
Registered
846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NyceP26:
I must say there is a lot of bikering on this topic. Unless you are a major movie critic then STFU.... All in all the movie was good, but with a lame plot. Then again who cared teh plot sucked? I know I didn't and the guys in the back of me making such noises. Is it just me or was the theater you went to go watch the movie full of kids and people not of legal age to even drive. Some kids were saying stuff like "I can't wait to get me a car like that" Even knowing that their mom/dad was outside in the station wagon picking them up and the other group of kids.

Hope you all liked the movie and had a good time laughing at The Realism, but I guess thats what you get.

</font>
WFT, you're going to tell us to "shut the **** up" because we didn't like the movie? I'm sorry, I didn't know only "major movie critics" could comment on movies these days. ****, and I thought the thugs were bad.

------------------
- Yosho
'96 200SX SE-R
'00 Civic Si EBP

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Yeah pretty much...You guys bicker too much. If the movie doesn't win an emmy who's going to be mad? Not me! I though it was great and I liked it even though it lacked a few components from being a great film, but if they went over board with it how would we react then?

------------------
Peter M.
AIM=NyceP26
97 200SX SER....now with HS Gen 4 Headers

1 - 20 of 47 Posts