SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, gang;

Today, my Rota SubZero wheels arrived...finally! It took a week for them to get here from Rota in California.
The UPS driver weighed the boxes...24 pounds exactly for 2 wheels, so a feathery 12 pounds each wheel.
Here's all four of my baby's new shoes:

A long shot, in my front yard, of the sinister Flat Black finish:

Rotas come with nice carbon-fiber looking center caps (they included an extra in the box, plus a BUNCH of stickers):

A side view, and you can see that the rim lip is outside of the five spokes:

SubZeros come in the Flat Black (like mine), Silver, or Bronze. Just like the Circuit 8s, which weigh one pound less.

Mounting/balancing to be done on Wednesday, drag racing on Sunday!

BTW...I paid $425 for the set, shipped, from Rota in California

------------------
Greg Perry, '93 SE-R w/ 149,000 miles, JWT pop, header, ProActive
clutch, ST bar, NOS direct-port 75hp, Autopower 4-point roll bar/harnesses.
[email protected] 1/4 mile, [email protected] 1/8 mile, 1.98 60-ft.

My SE-R page, with videos

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1.) They are 15x6.5 inches.

2.) I don't care

------------------
Greg Perry, '93 SE-R w/ 149,000 miles, JWT pop, header, ProActive
clutch, ST bar, NOS direct-port 75hp, Autopower 4-point roll bar/harnesses.
[email protected] 1/4 mile, [email protected] 1/8 mile, 1.98 60-ft.

My SE-R page, with videos

G

·
YOU ARE THE MOTHER F-N MAN!!!!!!!
THose are really NICE!!!
I would love those black rims on my red SE-R!
Why arent they on yet?!!!
Lets go!! Hop to it!!!!

·
You like that, dontchya?
956 Posts
man, those wheels look niiiiiiice. Definitely my #1 next wheel (my 16s got stolen today
).

------------------
Antonio Garcia
91 SE-R w/ lots of stuff
Bay Area, CA

·
713 ways to be a dick!
4,652 Posts
I must say a fine choice. I made the same choice and mine ship out tomorrow. I needed some auto-x wheels and these will be functional AND look sweet! BTW what tires did you choose? I am looking at the falcon Azenis (sp?)

late,
wes

www.wes.nissanpower.com

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wes;

Ah ha....I have the last set of Bridgestone RE-71s that Tire Rack had in any of their warehouses in 195/50/15. I was autocrossing in STS, and it mandated a treadwear rating of 140. Which is *exactly* the rating of the RE71s.
Now I'm in Street Mod, and can go the super-sticky Kumho V700 route, if I like.
I'll probably just stay with the Bridgestones, though. They are/were a fabulous tire, right up until Bridgestone decided not to make them anymore

·
713 ways to be a dick!
4,652 Posts
Yes the Potenza's were a fine choice. I didn't want an all race tire exactly, so that's why I was thinking of the Falken's, as I have heard REALLY good things about them. Not sure what to do just yet, but you can bet I'll be researching them this week. Post pics. when all is done, and thanks for the advice in purchasing them!

late,
wes

·
Registered
92 Posts
Is Rota a good brand? Are they made in the U.S.?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sweet!

I don't understand. What's the deal with the center-caps? Why would they not fit? I think I going to have to order a set in flat gun metal. Just like a Z06
!

·
Registered
312 Posts
nice wheels!
I was looking at the axis VPD wheels myself (www.axiswheels.com) but i was wondering....
you said you bought them directly from rota in california. Do they have website where i can look at all their stuff and the weights etc?

Thanks.
Rick

------------------
92 w/CAI and battery relocation, 10"JL audio sub and sony hardware.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update on the Rotas;

I just finished bolting them on, but because it is now dark, I have no digital pics to post. Will do tomorrow. I like the look of black wheels on a black car, and I really like the look of these on my car.

THAT being said.... I do have one warning to all of you regarding the 'flat' black finish on Rota wheels: It is paint, not powdercoating. No clear over it. It WILL scratch very easily, as mine did so just mounting the tires on the rim.
An easy fix is buying some flat black paint at AutoZone and touching up the spots where the paint chipped/scratched off.

But just beware...you have to be *very* gentle with these wheels in flat black finish, as they WILL get scratches on them very easily.

To answer earlier posts...Rota wheels are made in the Philippines.

Yes, WhiteSER, the center caps do not work as you stated. It appears that Nissan's wheel bearings and caps are just too large in diameter to fit under the cool Rota carbon fiber center caps. On the front wheels, the threaded stem that the wheel bearing is wrapped around is just WAY too long/tall for the caps. On the back wheels...the bearing dust cover protrudes WAY too far out for the caps.

Pics on the car tomorrow (Thursday).

[This message has been edited by SERprise In WV (edited 08-15-2001).]

·
/// God Speed! ///
1,917 Posts
Hey I was wandering does the Rota Wheels like yours come in white also? Wheels look good. I wish I had found those before I bought my Konig's Rated R's.

------------------
91 Classic running 9.6's in 1/8 W/ Header& PR CAI

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SERprise In WV:
Wes;

Ah ha....I have the last set of Bridgestone RE-71s that Tire Rack had in any of their warehouses in 195/50/15. I was autocrossing in STS, and it mandated a treadwear rating of 140. Which is *exactly* the rating of the RE71s.
Now I'm in Street Mod, and can go the super-sticky Kumho V700 route, if I like.
I'll probably just stay with the Bridgestones, though. They are/were a fabulous tire, right up until Bridgestone decided not to make them anymore
</font>
What will you use next?

·
713 ways to be a dick!
4,652 Posts
I did some more research on the Falken Azenis and they look AWESOME for the $$$. I mean they are cheaper than the DUnlop's and from what I hear they perform VERY well. I want some feedback on wether to go with the 205 50 15's or the 195 55 15's. The 195's are like 2 lbs. less per tire, but not quite as wide. WHat's the consensus from all of you experienced auto crossers?

late,
wes

·
Registered
708 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wes:
I did some more research on the Falken Azenis and they look AWESOME for the $$$. I mean they are cheaper than the DUnlop's and from what I hear they perform VERY well. I want some feedback on wether to go with the 205 50 15's or the 195 55 15's. The 195's are like 2 lbs. less per tire, but not quite as wide. WHat's the consensus from all of you experienced auto crossers?

late,
wes
</font>
They are awsome. I have had them on my classic for about 3 weeks now and have autocrossed on them 3 different weekends. They are 90% as sticky as a good race tire like the V700. In races with the top drivers in my class in SoCal I was within .1 sec of winning in San Diego and .3 in LA and they were on Kuhmo V700's.

I have the 195/60/14 and it is a wide 195 pretty close in width to my 205/60/14 Yoko AVSi's.

[This message has been edited by Trys_Hard (edited 08-16-2001).]

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jason92Classic;

Good question. I'm not sure about the 'next' set of tires. I'm in no rush. All I do with my '93 is drive it to autocrosses and to the drag strip. It sits in the garage most of the time. So, tires last much longer for me.

I'd *like* to go the Kumho V700 route possibly, and am talking with a local tire dealer about doing a trade with him (advertising in a publicaton I own in exchange for Kumho tires). He is also a BFG dealer, so the choices become even more interesting. I just heard from a friend that BFG just stepped up with some contingency money in SCCA, so that could be a factor as well. I do plan on running in regional events next year.

I'll literally play it by ear until then.

The Falkens are getting a good rep as a street/autocross tire, and may warrant looking at, too.

EDIT: I noticed yesterday that one Rota wheel and Bridgestone RE71 weighs *about* the same as one of my steel 15" wheels with no tire.
This is just a guesstimate on my part, but carrying the two at the same time, one in each hand, is a pretty good way to get a feel for how light these wheels really are.

[This message has been edited by SERprise In WV (edited 08-16-2001).]

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pics on the car, taken today:

Baby's got new shoes!

Ahh....all black. Sinister-looking. My kinda' car.

Note: I can definitely feel the effects of lighter wheels/tires just driving around town today. Can't wait to see the difference on the track, both autocrossing AND at the dragstrip this Sunday. I'll post a follow-up then.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts