SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Long Time SR Enthusiast
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it has begun...

I just got a long block with a slight rod knock from a buddy. I decided to go this route so the coupe wont be sitting on stands for 10 months like last time, ha ha. Anyways, plans are a full build (well mostly full). This includes: Aftermarket rods, aftermarket pistons, new oil squirters, new oil pump, new water pump, new timing set, new crank pulley, race bearings, ARP main studs, new seals, boring .020 over, hone, line hone, decking, hot tanking, metal head gasket, greddy head bolts, tomei 260 in/ex (12mm of lift) cams, tomei solid lifters, tomei valve springs, JWT valve guides, possibly a port and polish job on the head, and anything else I can fit in the budget.

So here are a couple of pics of the beginning!

Just to update for those who don't know, I currently have a Full Race GT3071R Twin Scroll setup on my car currently. It's just bolted to a completely internally stock Redtop SR20DET (stock cams, head gasket, everything). So far, running 20psi, I managed to run a 12.30 @ 114mph (and a 12.33 @ 117mph) on an unprepped smaller track and on MT 255 drag radials. Here's are some recent pics of the engine bay as it is now:

·
Long Time SR Enthusiast
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice ! looks very promising do i see low 11s in your future?
I'm hoping to go well into the 10's to be honest. There's a guy on Zilvia with my current setup except for he has cams and an intake manifold, and he's running 11.8's. That's on 20psi, and I should be running about 28 psi on a fully built motor, lol. We'll see what happens! Can't count my chickens yet! ha ha :D

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I'm hoping to go well into the 10's to be honest. There's a guy on Zilvia with my current setup except for he has cams and an intake manifold, and he's running 11.8's. That's on 20psi, and I should be running about 28 psi on a fully built motor, lol. We'll see what happens! Can't count my chickens yet! ha ha :D
:biggthump

im not much of a rwd guy yet ;) but i like where your going with this did you decide on which rods and pistons your going to use?

·
Long Time SR Enthusiast
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The shop who's building the bottom end (only work that I'm not doing myself, lol) is suggesting Mahle for both. While their rods are fine, the pistons have had clearance issues in the past with the oil squirters, so we are trying to figure out if this has been fixed. Mahle pistons are way lighter than most of the competition, which is one huge bonus, but I don't want to run the engine and find my squirters at the bottom of my oil pan, ha ha. I was originally going to go with JE pistons and just Eagle rods. We'll see though, lol. I am going with an 86.5mm bore with the pistons.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
im curious about the mahle pistons my self might use them in the future ive experienced some piston slap with je pistons in the past but they hold up well.. i wasnt aware mahle makes rods i should look into that

·
I ride the deer!
921 Posts
What issue? Fatigue cracking or something?
The piston skirts hit the squirters

With a 30r, I would strongly suggest the following:

1. Ditch that stock IM
2. Ditch the Tomei 260 cams in favor of Jim Wolf S4's/C1's or HKS 264 Step II's (all require springs, get them from JWT)
3. Using CP pistons

Other than that, it should run good. At 22psi on your old setup, it should have been trapping much more than 117 though...consiering at 20psi on my 2871r .64 i trapped 120 on slicks too.

Keep us updated :D Ask away if you need any help

·
Long Time SR Enthusiast
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The piston skirts hit the squirters

With a 30r, I would strongly suggest the following:

1. Ditch that stock IM
2. Ditch the Tomei 260 cams in favor of Jim Wolf S4's/C1's or HKS 264 Step II's (all require springs, get them from JWT)
3. Using CP pistons

Other than that, it should run good. At 22psi on your old setup, it should have been trapping much more than 117 though...consiering at 20psi on my 2871r .64 i trapped 120 on slicks too.

Keep us updated :D Ask away if you need any help
1. It's on the list!
2. Why? They have almost a half inch of lift (pretty decent for an import cam), and they are for the solid lifters. I need cams that have the ramp characteristics for the solid lifters
3. I was thinking of JE pistons, lol.

I wasn't running 22psi, lol. And remember, I had a shitty 1.9 60 ft, so I wasn't going to have my best results, lol. And, my tune is really shitty! I'm running way too rich! Oh, and I shift at about 6k with the stock cams...

·
Nismo King
645 Posts
JE or CP pistons hands down in the SR
And HKS for the Cams - Step 2's staggered for the 30R and Larger Turbos.

Local shop to me made 469 whp and 398 tq on a 86.5 mm bore built SR20 with GT3071R at ONLY 20 lbs !!!

·
Long Time SR Enthusiast
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I got my throttle body over the weekend. Q45 90mm throttle body!

·
Long Time SR Enthusiast
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A little update! Last night I put the builder on the stand finally! This morning I woke up and went to work in my pajamas, lol. Just did a little work, nothing too crazy!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts