SR20 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1994 Infiniti G20. I don't have any proper photos of it yet, but here's the photo from the autotrader ad in which I first saw it:

A couple minor cosmetic issues, and some irking mechanical issues I've gotta work with:

Front center panel and the side backrest panel on leather driver seat are ripped.

A couple of little dings on the door panels, and some annoying dings on the driver's side fender.

Scuffs and scratches on the door moldings and bumper covers.

Yesterday, when I went to change out its plugs, found the plug wells wet with oil. Went in an replaced the valve cover gaskets, including those around the spark plug wells.

Clutch is difficult to depress, and if you press it too far down it comes back up slowly. Any suggestions? I'd like it to depress smoothly, and of course, kick right back up when I take my foot off the pedal.

Gonna try and find myself a repair manual at Powell's Books or something.

That's a long list of stuff, but I really do like the car. Owned a Mazda Protege5 before that, all dressed up by the former owner. Didn't have a soul. ;)

Anyways, if someone has a suggestion for my clutch issue, please PM or respond. I'll post in one of the more appropriate forums about it, too.

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
I've driven a Protege5, and it was a good-looking car and value for the money. The G20 isn't much faster, but I like mine a lot. Plus, it has the SR20DE, which seals the deal. Once you get done with your wish list, you'll be glad you switched.

Second the clutch cable. Not difficult, but it helps to have small hands.

The throwout lever and return spring could probably use a good clean and re-lube, but don't worry about it unless you plan on doing a clutch job. All the manual FWD SR20 cars I've driven have completely different clutch feel - nothing with a cable clutch is all that great, but you live with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The clutch is apparently only 3k miles old. We have the documentation. Any other suggestions? Thanks for the help and comments, guys.

You'll be surprised about the Protege5. Those things aren't much lighter than my G20, but they only put down 103 WHP

·
Big Cheddar fan club
1,466 Posts
I agree with the clutch cable... they may have changed the clutch but, not the cable. This is a common problem and I usually have a spare cable in the car.

·
nissan perfected V-tec
860 Posts
i got one of them forsale, so if you ever need a part, i got it...same color and everything, nice P10 BTW

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So it's been about two weeks since I picked up the G20, and the clutch is alot better now. I think that the lady who owned it stopped driving it for some time, because her husband got her a (pffft) Honda Element instead. So, I'm assuming that's why the clutch was so stiff.

Anyway, here's another picture. It's not much, but there's not much to show, considering that it's all stock. But I got some new Toyo Ultras on there, because the front tires were bald - like, Patrick Stewart bald. It drives alot smoother now.

The car is peppy enough for me, so I don't think I'll be doing any engine modifications any time soon. However, one thing I do miss about the Protege 5 was its handling. Any suggestions for suspension modifications on the P10 G20s?

Also, just for fun:

She's been in the family all my life, and is still running strong. 198X Nissan Van GXE.

·
SE-R Brokanic
232 Posts
likin the G20. damn, that van brings back memories. there was 1 in my family for 10 years, same color scheme. it was a quirky thing, when i'd drive it, my would get warm cuz the engine is right under the driver and the front shocks were blown so it'd always bounce around in the front, lowrider style. that thing was fun:rofl:

·
Proud Italian
1,779 Posts
Nice looking G. My wife just bought a green G20 last night but its an auto.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts