SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, gang;

I had a most delightful weekend, drag racing all day Saturday, then autocrossing all day Sunday. Here's the results:
Drag racing, 1/8 mile: Qualified #1 for the Quick 8 Imports, running another 8.953, but this one at 79mph (gotta' change my sig now...). Then, the track owners said, "No Quick 8." Bummer. So, we ran a bracket.
Long story short: I made it to the final, but was beaten on a double-breakout. A kid in his mom's Camry (12.20 sec !!!???) got the win, breaking out less than I did. Walked out of the drag strip with the same amount of money I walked in with. Not bad.
BIG moment: Second qualifying run, I launch her hard, and at the 100-foot mark the SE-R just *DIES*, cold. Tried the gears and clutch, just to make sure it wasn't an axle. No fluids coming out behind the car.....hmmm.
Get to the pits (towed disgracefully, BTW) and lift the hood.....the COIL wire is dangling off the distributor! I rotated the engine without the wire a few times (to vacate any leftover nitrous/gas), then she fired right up. Back to racing. My heart sank for about 5 minutes, though....
Autocross: Since I just added a MSD Digital 6 box to my SE-R (to better control the nitrous when drag racing), I now find myself in the Street Modified (SM) class. Trouble is...I'm the only one in that class for now, which means I'll be 'bumped up' with the A Street Prepared (read: very, very fast) guys for a while. Doesn't matter...having too much fun.
First run is a 1:31, on a diabolical course that featured a slalom section AND two sections where you had your choice of which way to go (a 180 turn and a box with a big cone in the middle).
Second and third runs, I get faster, running 1:28s on both runs. Fiddle with tire pressures a bit.
Fourth and final run: I hammer the car for all it's worth, and am rewarded with a 1:27.2. A nice improvement. Once I get some competition, I'll know how much the improvement is.
Best thing at the autocross? I found a $20 bill in the parking lot while cleaning up, so my autocross was free.
In all, I actually MADE money racing this weekend, for which I am somewhat dumbfounded.
I could get used to this....

------------------
Greg Perry, '93 SE-R w/ 149,000 miles, JWT pop, header, ProActive
clutch, ST bar, NOS direct-port 75hp, Autopower 4-point roll bar/harnesses.
[email protected] 1/4 mile, [email protected] 1/8 mile, 1.98 60-ft.

My SE-R page, with videos

·
Registered
450 Posts
How much do you have to find in the lot to be considered "Pro"

Sounds like a fun weekend! I still have to post the pix from the NE SI open meet this weekend.

Hey $20 you can get more N20!!!!

------------------
Erik, 94 Classic with goodies
"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thought some of you might like to see this:

My 60-ft time was off due to a slight spin off the line. I've hit a 1.98 before.

·
wants to go play
2,230 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SERprise In WV:
Hey, gang;

Since I just added a MSD Digital 6 box to my SE-R (to better control the nitrous when drag racing), I now find myself in the Street Modified (SM) class. Trouble is...I'm the only one in that class for now, which means I'll be 'bumped up' with the A Street Prepared </font>

What class were you in?? and what else is done to the car??

Blair
76 DSP

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blair;

I *was* in Street Touring-Street Tire (STS). However....the addition of an ignition box (MSD) isn't allowed in ST (either S or R), so the logical jump was to Street Modified (SM), which will be getting full national class status in 2002, from what I've read.
It should also be noted that removing (or disabling) the egr on a car isn't allowed in ST as well, a pretty common mod. Mine is completely removed, BTW.
It appears to be a natural progression from ST, as quite a few other ST guys here are planning on making the jump next year. ST is the largest and most competitive class at our autocrosses (75 cars,usually), and you can throw a 2-4 second blanket over at least 12 cars at each event, in STS. Tight.
DSP just seems like an even bigger money-throwing contest, at least in our SCCA region (So. WV Region).
The car has the usual mods (struts/springs/rear bar/header/intake/rollcage/frt. strut brace).

[This message has been edited by SERprise In WV (edited 07-18-2001).]

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
Sweet, You seem to have a really cool setup. I want to drag race my car as well as auto x and do some road courses. Gotta love these cars.

------------------
97 Super Black 200sx SE-R
Hotshot CAI, custom 2.5" catback with dynomax super turbo muffler, Hotshot header, UR pulleys (2 set), JWT ECU, Stillen FSB, Courtesy RSB, V-Racing Buzz seat with custom seat bracket

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, the license plate is meant as a statement.
Last week at the dragstrip, whilst working my way through the bracket again, I ran against a '70s VW Beetle. The guy that owned it was really cool, and after I beat him by like 10 car lengths (in a bracket with handicapped start, nonetheless...) I asked what happened to him.
His reply: "I mis-dialed in my car. I didn't pay attention to what your dial-in was on the SE-R, either."
Then, he added, "So when you blew past me at mid-track, I saw your license plate and was like, Yeah, SERPRISE! No $hit.' "
Funniest thing I'd heard in a long time. The license plate works

On a similar note: Got rained out at Car Wars last weekend, so I haven't run the car on a 1/4 mile track yet with the NOS Direct-Port setup working correctly. When I do, it should generate my very first 13-second timeslip, of which I will be very proud. It's taken A LOT of effort to get the Old Girl into the 13s.

·
Of Topic Count: 11,684
1,168 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts