SR20 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay this forum is dead so I'm going to post this up, typically I wouldn't b/c I wouldn't even consider these to be *real* passes. I took the car out to the Motorplex Friday night to see what it would do. Well, besides blowing off i/c pipes constantly the car was strong. The smoke you see in the video is caused by oil in my i/c pipes being burned off. The oil seals on my last turbo went and I just got my upgraded turbo put on about an hour before heading to the track. So lotsa smoke. :) Also I weighed in at 2650 with me in the car (i weigh 190lbs); this is with full interior and a spare. Okay I'm going to post this all up w/o my slip in front of me, so I'm going off memory :

1st run :

This was the first time out to the track in the SE-R. I decided to take it easy on the 1st pass to see what it could do. Boost set to 13lbs; actually it was set at 12 but it kept spiking to 13 and staying there. Oh well. I slipped the clutch at 2000rpm, which got me an awful 60ft time. No biggie, just a test pass. As soon as I shift into 2nd the car swerves right at the wall. Holy hell, I nearly pissed my pants. I get both hands on the steering wheel and correct the problem, shift into 3rd a little early, then end the run in 4th. Times from that pass :

60ft : 2.6 something
1/8 : [email protected]
1/4 : [email protected]__mph

2nd run :

The lines were moving fairly quickly so I figured I'd do another test pass. I again eased it off the line w/ a 2000-2500rpm slip, but this time as soon as I hit second gear I had torque steer from hell. You'll see it in the video. Unfortunately I concentrated so much on controlling hte car that I bounced off the rev limiter and blew off an i/c pipe (where you see the huge puff of smoke, and then the constant smoke..a lil before 1/8th or a lil after). Ended up running a [email protected] hahaha .. then I spent 30 minutes trying to find someone with any sort of tools to help me get that pipe back on. Note to self - always take tools from now on.

Anyway I cleaned the i/c pipes so the car doesnt smoke anymore. I'm also going to invest in some wider tires. Here are my modifications :

Car :
'92 SE-R

Engine and mods :

U13 DET
U13 FMIC
T25 w/ a Super 60-1 wheel and 360* bearing
2 1/2" dp (sucks)
3" exhaust
Walbro 255lph hi flow
E-manage (highly untuned)
es torque mounts
maybe more but nothing that really makes a difference.

Suspension and tires :
KYB AGX
stock springs
stock rims and tires

http://www.dallasimports.net/pdr/pdr.wmv

Right click, save as. Anyway nothing much really, just helping this forum along. :)

·
Registered
434 Posts
How different does this upgraded turbo feel from before? How much did the rebuild/upgrade cost? Did they install the 60-1 inside your original T25 housing? Did you need to make ANY mods to piping when you reinstalled the turbo? Thanks ~josh

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's like night and day from the stock T25. The T25 had NO power up top, but this does.

My price is different from everyone else, so I'll just give you the general cost. It is $510 from http://www.dallasturbo.com. They do a great job. They sand blasted my manifold and turbine housing and coated it.

The 60-1 is a Turbonetics wheel, but yes they installed it inside the original T25 compressor housing. The wheel is much bigger. :D Everything bolts up to the U12/U13 manifold just like stock. I ended up upgrading to Earl's braided lines, but all the stock lines fit just fine since they do only touch the internals.

Best modification I've done to date. :D

·
Registered
746 Posts
cool video. you need to invest in a set of slicks. makes a world of difference. thats what i'd like to see more of (videos of b13s drag racing).

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I'll have plenty of them to come in the near future. I think it would really help if I got an alignment done and fixed the toe and camber. You can see in the second run how the car is all over the track.

There were 4 SE-Rs out there, and 3 of them were Spec Vs running some massive mid 15-sec times. Most SE-R guys around here like to auto-x. I'm a rebel.

·
stirring but plain-faced
993 Posts
Damn patrick that was some crazy torque steer on that second run, go get an alignment ;). I think the car should be running alot better now that we fixed that little vacuum line problem. We need to hit up the track when i get back into town for the summer.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I appreciate the tips. I never knew where that was supposed to run. :D Let's go to the track and run. You at 8psi and me on 13psi. Should be fair..sortof.

·
BAD FKR
352 Posts
pdr said:
Most SE-R guys around here like to auto-x. I'm a rebel.
Not every SE-R likes to auto-x. Then again, I am not from that area exactly. Perhaps someday I will show up there to meet up with you guys.

Here in Abilene this coming weekend they are having a battle of the cities. All surrounding cities are invited and all cars. The only thing is that the track here is only an eighth mile and I have not decided if I am going to race yet. Can't stand the 1/8th.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I'm not a huge fan of the 1/8th, either. It's just good practice for the 1/4.

tensecond240sx lives out in Abilene, right? If you see him tell him I said whatsup.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very cool. Haven't seen him since the dyno day.

Anyway I'm going to try and get some drag radials and then go at it from there. I also need to stiffen my rear suspension. I just noticed that it's really dipping on the launch and shifts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts