SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lesson #1: If you want something done right, do it yourself...

I gave this simple task of setting my timing to 15 degrees for the JWT ECU to my alignment shop. I did this because A) the car was there, B) I didn't have a timing gun, and C) they should know how the hell to do it.

This was 6 months ago. I've never been very pleased with how the car ran with the JWT ECU. But it did seem a little quicker, I damn sure got better mileage, and I picked one up used for not very much.

This weekend I decided to check it with a borrowed gun from a friend. I followed the instructions on se-r.net and found the timing to be set at ~5 degrees. That's right, five. Onetwothreefourfive!!! 4+1.

Needless to say I am very pleased with the what feels like 10 or so found hp. The car now runs worth a damn when cold too. I wondered why I was ~.2 slower in the 1/4 after the ECU switch. I just assumed it was atmospheric conditions.

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
Matt,

how did you get the engine locked into timing mode?

was it difficult?

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Some hight port motors can be a bitch to get them into timing mode. I haven't had much luck with my '91. I had to guess where 15 deg was.

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
yes, that's what i've heard...i was just wondering if he had done anything special to get the timing set..

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This may have been covered before, but exactly how do you know it's in timing mode? I just assumed if I followed those instructions, I was good to go.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
You know you are in timing mode when the timing stops jumping all around, and the idle is at ~750 rpm. My problem is getting the idle that low. With the TPS connected, its fine, but disconnected, its too high. Some cars require the AAC valve disconnected. Of course if you have a Consult, all is good.

·
Registered
487 Posts
My car's always had a rough idle...even worse with the cams. It seems like I can never get the timing marks to stop jumping around. It just jumps around with the rough idle.

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
eric96ser, i couldnt get my idle that low either... until i put it in gear. I didnt even have to drive it. I just put the clutch in, put it in first, and the rpms suddenly drop down to around 750 from like 1200.

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My timing was not jumping around at all. Idle was ~ 600 rpms with the TPS disconnected. So I guess I had it "locked"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts