SR20 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Misc. parts

Would it be fair to say that for this swap onto a SR20 Roller Rocker .....

the only missing (non-reunuseable) parts would be

1) the intake manifold (upper and lower)
2) water pump (noticed u didnt re-use the RR one)

obviously the vvl activation is from scrath.......

·
Guanaco Tuner
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Yellow4g63 said:
Luis did you change that brass T out? I spy with my eye a pain the ass waiting to happen.

It's not fun to get the threads out after it breaks :( ask me how I know lol.
I didn't change it. I have had stuff break in there, but it was always the 1/8NPT to 1.8BSP adapter. I re-threaded that hole to be 1/8NPT and all is well. I have had that setup on my turbo car for two years without any issue. Maybe I'll switch to a steel one jik.

And one small update, the car is running! I'll have to talk to you about your calum maps. I'm gonna start tweaking mine soon.

·
'The Sleeper'
491 Posts
Awesome write up...

I am considering doing the same thing but on my turbo motor, simply for the better head flow that the VE head has.

Here's the thing though...

What cams would I be best using, as I have S4's in their at the moment, but is there anything similar to that for the VE's.

I know that the SR16VE cams has more duration, but less lift.

Or am I just best to go with an O2 manifold, and stick with the high port.

Cheers

Dave

·
Guanaco Tuner
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
NissanSpeed01 said:
To do this on a RWD SR

I do the same thing right.

I think I also need to swap over the timing cover, crank pully, CAS, and water pipes??
That sounds about right..

*update*

I activated the VVL solenoids this weekend, and it works! And no valve piston clearance issue (as expected).

·
No longer a member
6,093 Posts
Very nice work. BTW, if anyone knows of any more cheap VE heads, I seriously want to buy one.

·
Deviled Egg!
6,321 Posts
VE head swap has always been on the back of my head... If I could do it for 400 dollars bang bang!

I don't want to take my motor out again though... :(

·
Enemy of the stupid
4,727 Posts
Ninety-Nine SE-L said:
Very nice work. BTW, if anyone knows of any more cheap VE heads, I seriously want to buy one.

Haha you made a funny. Cheap VE head lol, no such animal my friend it's gold because everyone wants it.

·
'71 240z, a REAL classic
225 Posts
thanks a TON for the write-up, here's mine, sr16ve head on s14 sr21de+T [forged] :) block
haven't bought the fittings yet, i'll wait on that till i get my turbo...

excuse the dirtiness, i just got the block this week...

i believe i'll need to drill/tap the other little bung on the oil block for the turbo oil feed correct? ive never seen a stock sr20 turbo setup...

here's the vvl timing cover/oil pump on an s14 de block

doesn't exactly line up... maybe i'll drill/tap another hole for that...

[here's a little suprise custom plenum w/ q45 TB
, [its not gonna be made from cardboard]]

·
The DET is in!
2,025 Posts
This is badass. After seeing how easy it is, I want to do this instead of turbo!

Anyone know what the CR would be with NA VG30DE pistons in an otherwise stock bottom end plus a complete SR16VE head (sr16 cams too)? We only have 91 octane here but I think it would be a BEAST! Also would I need new springs and retainers... I remember reading that they might hit or did hit in payu's car?

I have to get my block bored either way, so if the NA's are too high compression, what would the compression be with the VG30DETT pistons with the same aformentioned setup.

·
Guanaco Tuner
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Lunar240z said:
thanks a TON for the write-up, here's mine, sr16ve head on s14 sr21de+T [forged] :) block
haven't bought the fittings yet, i'll wait on that till i get my turbo...

excuse the dirtiness, i just got the block this week...

i believe i'll need to drill/tap the other little bung on the oil block for the turbo oil feed correct? ive never seen a stock sr20 turbo setup...
Just put a tee on the same fitting you will be using to feed the VVL solenoids. Just like this:
And run your turbo oil feed from there.

·
'71 240z, a REAL classic
225 Posts
i was thinking of that. might do that by getting some little plates machined and connected via -an fittings or just cut a hole in the firewall... and this is in a 240z not an 240sx.

·
The DET is in!
2,025 Posts
Anyone know what the comp ratios for a DE block with 300ZX NA pistons would be with a VE head and SR16 cams? What about the compression DE block with the 300ZX TT pistons, VE head with SR16 cams? Reason I ask is because the best fuel around here is 91 octane.

41 - 60 of 171 Posts