SR20 Forum banner

161 - 171 of 171 Posts

·
the sinner
236 Posts
Greddy MSS works well in activating the solenoids.

High port pistons will hit your valves hard even with a 1.88 gsket, the safer option is to use DET pistons or the VE ones.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Not going to happen with an S14 block as the oil passage sticks half out over the block.

So, the solution looks like you need to get the head on the drill press table and secure it. Then select a plug that will fill the hole and drill and tap the appropriate threads in it to plug the hole in the face of the head. Make sure that you have drilled it deep enough that the plug will be .060 or so below the surface of the head. Once you have done that turn the head on its side and drill and tap for a -3 line in that boss directly to the side of the return and make sure that you drill all the way in to the oil passage. (In the picture it looks like this has already been done) Once that is done you have to drill and tap the block near the pan rail toward the "back" of the block. (search for this as it has been discussed numerous times) Then you need a -3 90* for the head and a -3 straight or 45* fitting for the block for the oil return line and you will have this modification made in a way that will work very well. This entire procedure is outlined in a number of threads so search and ye shall find.

·
the sinner
236 Posts
I guess no one has really sent the figures on the valve clearance for this build.

Well I hope this helps as this is the result when you use an N1 cam with the DET piston and block.

Exhaust valves will hit the pistons, notice how deep the punches are which should make u think twice even when using a normal 16ve cams.

·
Broke Ass
4,774 Posts
****, I tell people over and over not to use 16ve cams with de or det pistons and no one listens. Sure there have been that have got away with the 16ve cams and some that havent, I have seen it in person. It is way too close to risk it. But people will continue to learn the hard way.......

·
93.5 g20T
46 Posts
Greddy MSS works well in activating the solenoids.

High port pistons will hit your valves hard even with a 1.88 gsket, the safer option is to use DET pistons or the VE ones.
I guess no one has really sent the figures on the valve clearance for this build.

Well I hope this helps as this is the result when you use an N1 cam with the DET piston and block.

Exhaust valves will hit the pistons, notice how deep the punches are which should make u think twice even when using a normal 16ve cams.

I thought everyone knew that you can't use N1 cams with stock DET pistons? SR16 cams yes but not N1's.

I'm glad I read this... I'm building a roller rocker motor with bluebird pistons that have valve reliefs. With this set up can I run 20v cams without the valves hitting?

here's a pic of my pistons:

·
Registered
65 Posts
What sort of bluebird?
Do the valve reliefs line up with the valves? Thats always something to think about when swapping pistons just because they are there doesn't mean they will be in the right place.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I layed the VE/Metal Headgasket on, I made sure the engine was at TDC and put white out on the corresponding line on the crank pulley for future timing fun.

Block is ready. Now for the head.
is this realy VE gasket> i cant see the extra hole corresponding to the head tapped extra hole ...

161 - 171 of 171 Posts