SR20 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over on the main SE-R list, somebody who is very influential there ;) stated that the 200SX SE-R is lighter than a Sentra SE-R. I would like to set the record straight with some real-world facts.

George Perinis and I corner-weighted our cars on the same set of Longacre scales a couple years ago. Our cars were virtually identical in preparation at the time (sunroof, AC, stock seats and OE wheels). His 200SX SE-R weighed 2,690 and my Sentra SE-R weighed 2,690. Both weights were taken with driver, and George is about 15-20 pounds lighter than me, and my car had 1/2 tank of gas while his was at around 1/4 tank. With all things being equal, my Sentra SE-R would be roughly 35-50 pounds lighter.

Cliff notes: 200SX SE-R w. 180-lb driver, 1/4-tank gas: 2,690. Sentra SE-R w. 195(ish)-lb driver, 1/2 tank gas: 2,690

So how did this myth about a 200SX SE-R being lighter than a Sentra SE-R start? :D

·
Registered
765 Posts
i always heard the sentra se-r (classic) was lighter than the 200sx se-r. when i went to the track with Limited_Slip from the page, his sentra se-r was about 100 lbs lighter than my 200SX SE-R if i remember correctly. BTW my 200 was right at 2500lbs

·
Newbie? more like Old-bie
202 Posts
In stock solo-prep solo trim my 96 w/sunroof:

stock wheels with 225 kumhos (heavier than old BFGs)
GReddy exhaust (heavier than stock)
1/2 tank gas
no spare/tools

2530 lbs.

before the exaust upgrade and kumhos it was only 2500.

Mark Chiles claimed his 91 in prep trim without driver was 2480. I find that a bit hard to believe since my 96 has PW, PL, sunroof, and probably other stuff his 91 doesn't. I expected his car to be closer to 2400~2420 lbs.

BTW, who is the "knowledgeble" person on the main list who claimed classics were heavier? Maybe their driver's weigh more... ;)

-LM

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SERCA96 said:
2530 lbs.

before the exaust upgrade and kumhos it was only 2500.
Did that tip weigh it down that much? :D

SERCA96 said:
BTW, who is the "knowledgeble" person on the main list who claimed classics were heavier? Maybe their driver's weigh more... ;)
George Roffe said it initially, then Mike Kojima backed it up with: "MVMA Specs a 200SX is supposed to be 40 lbs lighter than a comparably equppied classic."

Like horsepower claims, I want real-world #s to back things up, not specs from a magazine or brochure.

·
Newbie? more like Old-bie
202 Posts
Did that tip weigh it down that much?
Uh, just the cat-back pipes made from super-thick stainless steel.

George Roffe said it initially, then Mike Kojima backed it up
Like I said "Maybe Classic drivers just weigh more than B14 drivers..."

"MVMA Specs a 200SX is supposed to be 40 lbs lighter than a comparably equppied classic."
What's an MVMA spec?

-LM

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
I would like to chime in on this one. I weighed my sister's '91. No sunroof, A/C, cruise(of course), and no radio. I believe she had about 1/4 gas. Also, no mods. Weight = 2484. My can, full loaded, sway bars, N-Tech brace, front and rear STBs, CD changer, 5 channel amp, and X-over. Weight = 2498. My wife's '97 SE-R with front STB and CD changer and a little over 1/4 tank = 2489. And I might add a perfect 50/50 cross weight. This was also on the same set of scales, but not the same day.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I weighed my 92 Classic at the Atwater Pro at 2461 lbs. My car has cruise and AC only and with about 1/2 tank of gas, with stock wheels and 205/55/14 BFG R1's.

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
My '92:
A/C and cruise, no sunroof, no ABS, stock wheels w/V700s.

2600 lbs on Robeling Road's scales, no driver, 6 pt. Autopower cage, full tank of gas.

I think I have the printout in the glove box still. Should be a bit below 2500 without the cage.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
My car by far is the heaviest. 2684 w/o driver...this is with full tank gas, full interior and full size spare, sub and amp and no spare...only options are abs and sunroof. Only other mods are 3 inch turbo back and det engine.

·
VE powered
556 Posts
2417 lbs

My '92 SE-R in Street Mod trim with factory sunroof, A/C removed, no backseat, no spare, 1/4 tank gas, and 14x7 UL Panasports weighed in at 2417 lbs at the Bremerton Nat Tour. I figure I could lose another 80 lbs or so by putting in a set of racing seats, Westco battery, and carbon fiber hood.

Anyone know how much the stock seats weigh? I'm guessing 35-40 lbs each.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: 2417 lbs

autoxer7 said:

Anyone know how much the stock seats weigh? I'm guessing 35-40 lbs each.

Steve
They were 34 pounds on my trusty bathroom scale. :D Corbea Forza w. bracket and "female" end of seat belt was 26.

·
LoSe-R
908 Posts
sorta off topic but how comfortable ( can you even call it that? ) is that corbeau seat?

TIA

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
They are very comfy.:)

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Black93 said:
sorta off topic but how comfortable ( can you even call it that? ) is that corbeau seat?
Not that bad. I drove the car every day for about six months with the seat. The only time they became uncomfortable was on long trips (10-hour trip to Indiana on a Friday then 10 hours back Sunday night).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Trys_Hard said:
I weighed my 92 Classic at the Atwater Pro at 2461 lbs. My car has cruise and AC only and with about 1/2 tank of gas, with stock wheels and 205/55/14 BFG R1's.
WOW, That is odd ...
My 93 with less gas, smaller tires, no A/C or cruise or radio ways 2491 some 30lbs heavier.

Anyone know what the difference between a 92 and 93 was?

Serge

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
My sister's '91 with no AC, no sunroof, stock wheels, and under 1/4 tank of gas weighed 2420. My '96 with everything, amp, crossover, both STB, N-Tech lower brace, rear sway bar, and stock wheels weighs 2498 with ~1/4 tank of gas. I think that if you weigh a '94 with the same options as a B14, except no power window/locks, they will be about the same. The other cars might not have A/C, cruise, sunroof, airbag, and all that stuff.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts