SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading a mag and the dynochart read 177 hp at the wheels with a JWT Turbo. I'm hearing stories on here about Type C Cams making 170+ hp to the wheels. What the [email protected]#$ is going on why is a turbo going to make 7 or less hp then a N/A car? And if the Type C Cams are all what everybody says they are, then why on earth would you want to deal with an unreliable ass turbo kit? Turbo=Lag N/A Power=Impressive ****!![with a fourbanger]

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
Well, those C cams aren't cheap! Plus I believe you have to get new valve springs. With the turbo, you'll probably have a lot more torque too. I'm speculating on the torque but I'm pretty sure that's right. They'll have different driving characteristics. I'm guessing that you won't get much power until up high with the NA motor where you'll have a lot more power down low with that particular turbo setup.

------------------
'96 SE-R.... a few tweaks here and there :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
with most bolt-ons, including the c cams, are cars could pull maybe low 14's in the 1/4 mile on street tires.

with the turbo, like a det swap, at stock boost (6 psi), you could run mid to high 13's in the 1/4 mile on street tires.

i think it depends on what kind of driving you do....

-drag racing, street racing, etc. go turbo, for little money compared to na you can hit 12's

-autox, track days, thrashing around corners, back roads, go for the na route. nothing worse than having to deal with turbo lag when punching it coming out of a corner :).

my .02 cents

·
SE-R Nut-in-Training
161 Posts
Another thing to think about is the JWT turbo is going to be CARB legal. C series cams aren't. And I believe, like any other wild cams, that you're going to lose some bottom end with those. The turbo should be small enough to be pretty well lag free. It'll be invisible, just feeling like a larger engine. Not like the on-off switch in my old XR4Ti.
Jason

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nupinpanty:
I was reading a mag and the dynochart read 177 hp at the wheels with a JWT Turbo. I'm hearing stories on here about Type C Cams making 170+ hp to the wheels. What the [email protected]#$ is going on why is a turbo going to make 7 or less hp then a N/A car? </font>
6.5psi, no intercooler, T28 turbo, '99 SR20DE (G20)... I actually think 177hp is pretty good considering the variables.

--Andrew Phan

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spdracerUT:
Well, those C cams aren't cheap! Plus I believe you have to get new valve springs. </font>
Even if they are not cheap who cares,N/A Power is the way to go!!! I'ts much more of an accomplishment to get really good N/A power out of a 4cyl,right?

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Yes it's more spectacular to get 177hp going NA....but it will be much, much more expensive to do so. If you have the money, fine, go ahead and spend it all.

Or, you could buy a turbo or nitrous setup for little money and have at it.

Either route is reliable, as long as you know what you're doing. It's just as easy to blow up a NA engine as it is a turbo or nitrous engine.

------------------
Greg Perry, '93 SE-R w/ 149,000 miles, a proud customer of Nitrous Oxide Systems, Inc.,
[email protected] 1/4 mile, [email protected] 1/8 mile, 1.98 60-ft.

My SE-R page, with videos

1 - 8 of 8 Posts