SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Driver
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what does everyone think of NASA vs SCCA?

All of my experiences are with SCCA. I am not necessarily convinced that SCCA is better than NASA and am quite interested in what others experiences have been.

·
wants to go play
2,230 Posts
So what does everyone think of NASA vs SCCA?

All of my experiences are with SCCA. I am not necessarily convinced that SCCA is better than NASA and am quite interested in what others experiences have been.

It's all a matter of opinion and attitude. NASA has the edge in some respects, since you can show up to a NASA event with zero track experience, and they have a program to get you started and a system to move you along as your skills progress. SCCA has almost nothing between solo2 and club racing. You should give NASA a try sometime. There are plenty of SCCA folks around here that run both.

·
Registered
557 Posts
SCCA has almost nothing between solo2 and club racing.
They have the programs in place (PDX, Club Trials, Time Trails, Hillclimb), but not the regions implementing them. I can't find anything local (250 mile radius of Buffalo), but NASA has like 5 different events over this summer. Even the events with races have some sort of HPDE time for beginners.

I have nothing against NASA, but I would like to see my own region get into at the very least Tier 1 events.

I see NASA recruiting the next generation of drivers just because "hey, I lapped with those guys, now I can race with them......"

I would have gotten involved in road racing a lot sooner if someone was more proactive about promoting it.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
for the northeast, comscc.org is the only choice for solo1. fairgentleman z, comscc.org was at watkins glen a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Yes, I know. The date didn't work our for me.

I have been considering Mosport in June. Calaboogie would be nice, but is such a haul.

And COMSCC is not the only choice, there is also EMRA. :)

·
Drinking The H Juice Now
4,216 Posts
NASA in the Southeast is pretty non-existent...

They both do certain things well and do other things poorly.

It's a matter of your preferences and what you are willing to put up with, politics-wise, organizationally, and rules-wise.

·
Drinking The H Juice Now
4,216 Posts
. SCCA has almost nothing between solo2 and club racing.
Now Blair... you should know better than this... this is simply not true.

PDX, Hillclimbs, Time Trials....

·
wants to go play
2,230 Posts
They have the programs in place (PDX, Club Trials, Time Trails, Hillclimb), but not the regions implementing them.

I see NASA recruiting the next generation of drivers just because "hey, I lapped with those guys, now I can race with them......"
I know there is a PDX program, but there is little to no info out there about them. I spent an hour one day trying to find out about it with no sucess. SCCA's page just says "Drive your car on a racetrack!!!" But doesn't say how!

That was my point.

·
wants to go play
2,230 Posts
It's a matter of your preferences and what you are willing to put up with, politics-wise
Now Blair... you should know better than this... this is simply not true.

PDX, Hillclimbs, Time Trials....
Welcome to why I don't like SCCA anymore. It's a long story, but it left a really bad taste in my mouth.

See my previos post about PDX.

·
Drinking The H Juice Now
4,216 Posts
I know there is a PDX program, but there is little to no info out there about them. I spent an hour one day trying to find out about it with no sucess. SCCA's page just says "Drive your car on a racetrack!!!" But doesn't say how!

That was my point.
That's because PDXs are put on by the region, not National. Same as HPDEs with NASA.

I can't go to NASA's site and find info about NASA-SE HPDEs. I have to go the regional site to find it.

·
Registered
557 Posts
SCCA's page just says "Drive your car on a racetrack!!!" But doesn't say how!

That was my point.
I totally agree. I kinda felt cheated that no one was getting me on track. And if it wasn't for hours of internet searches, pro active reading, and more searches I'd still be out chasing cones.

My first event I jumped in blindly (a flat-out day @ Beaver), my second time on a track I was renting a Rabbit GTi for a SCCA licensing school. I wish I had more transistion time, but whatever.

I have been attending my regional mettings just to bring this up. But I don't want to be the "new guy" that is stirring up a bunch of trouble. We have 3 tracks that are closer than the Glen in Canada (Dunnville, Toronto Motorsports Park, and Mosport Driver Developement Centre) that would be perfect for Teir 1 only.

·
wants to go play
2,230 Posts
I can't go to NASA's site and find info about NASA-SE HPDEs. I have to go the regional site to find it.
No, but you can go to the national site and learn what the requirements are, find regional schedules, and learn about the programs. SCCA's page sounds like and ad with no substance to it. being that there are so many more SCCA regions than NASA regions, I think it's a terrible idea to leave it up to the regions to supply all the info.

·
Drinking The H Juice Now
4,216 Posts
No, but you can go to the national site and learn what the requirements are, find regional schedules, and learn about the programs. SCCA's page sounds like and ad with no substance to it. being that there are so many more SCCA regions than NASA regions, I think it's a terrible idea to leave it up to the regions to supply all the info.

:rolleyes: okay.... once again.... SCCA sucks and NASA rules... I'm outta this thread.

·
wants to go play
2,230 Posts
SCCA sucks and NASA rules...

That's not what I said at all. I *personally* don't like the way SCCA does/doesn't do somethings. I also don't like some things NASA does.

·
Driver
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i have been starting to hear a lot of good things about NASA. they do seem to have more ways to get into road racing than SCCA. Even with the racetracks we have around here I haven't seen anything from our regional SCCA about getting started in actual road racing on tracks instead of "chasing cones". i started doing open track days but none of it was advertised or promoted at all by SCCA. HPDE and time trials do seem like a great way to get into it.

what about costs? are they comparable?

also, i have been wondering about the limited number of classes offered by NASA. does that still generate competitive fields of cars?

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
I've been around a while. My thoughts.

NASA: They do alot of stuff right, and alot of stuff wrong. IMO, of course. Here in the east, the events tend to be 10lbs of shizzle in a 5 lb bag. NASA-SE and NASA-Mid Atlantic (formerly known as NASA-Virginia) are very active. SE goes to Road Atlanta, CMP, Roebling, Rockingham and I believe they have a Barber date (I'll be signing up to instruct there). Virginia primarily does Slummit Pt. and VIR, but eah track has several configurations.

SCCA: Old school. They want to race and autocross, and they are very organized and successful at it. If you are SERIOUS about racing, this is where it's at. Name a successful American professional sportscar racer, and I GARUNTEE they got their start in SCCA. A few regions are starting to do PDXs. NCR (North Carolina Region) does several a year. But SCCA tends to be stuck in it's ways and slow to change. This can be bad, or perhaps good. But SCCA has made more changes in the last 2 years than they did in the last 10. They are getting the message.

*IF* I ever start racing I will very likely start with SCCA.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
NASA has a better route for the beginning driver to follow. With SCCA, you have to have a race car and racing licence to drive on the track.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
you are incorrect. pdx? solo 1?
In our region there is none of that. There is no one to run it here I guess. Also Solo 1 requires a rollbar and driver suit etc, more stuff than HDPE.

I have also been to a pdx event, it was not fun. They put lame chicanes all over the track which made it super fustrating to drive. The "instructors" were showing the wrong lines and wrong techniques. You had to drive behind an instructor car for the entire first session which was also driving the wrong line. The broke us up by experiance then made all the people with experiance be sandwitched in between slow cars for some reason. It was the worst track day I have ever experianced.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts