SR20 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
91 SE-R
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have pro-kit springs and AGX KYB struts on hand and ready to install either this Sat or next weekend. I know by part# where each strut goes, but on the springs I have 2 diff types for front and rear, and don't know which goes where (might be apparent once I dis-assemble the old orig springs). I have access to a spring compressor with a short drive with the old assembled set - do I need the spring compressor for assembling the new?

Car is 91 SE-R, spings are 11/99 6316.101, and 27/99 6324.002. The 27/99s have more coils - so I assume they are progressive. Which goes where?

I know to assemble with letters/numbers up. Any good link on install advice? What is the word on duct tape and wiring plastic loam, wire ties etc I read somewhere (and can't find now). Is that for coil overs only? I'd like a quiet set-up when complete.

Thanks much
AC7880 (Dan)

Appreciate any helpfull hints.

G

·
0 Posts
Replace both upper and lower "rubber spring seats", top front "thrush bearings" and you may need new "strut mounting insulators" for the front. "Top paper gasket" is recommended if you are concerned about noise. The springs will only fit there proper shocks, front or rear, so there's no worry of haveing front on rears etc... oh, check the "bound bumper rubber" sleave. If it's falling apart replace it as it protects the shock shaft from dirt and such.

·
91 SE-R
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Storm88000:
The bigger ones go upfront. </font>
Folks, I may be a little slow here but height wise they look the same, diameter wise they look the same, Eibach did not return my call I left on their voice mail. One set of springs is spiral wound with uniform (even ) spacing, the others have tighter coils at the top, then uniform spacing the rest of the way down. Sure would hate to hose up the install and re-do my work. Which goes where? And what about the duct tape etc to reduce "clunking"? Not neccessary on the pro-kits?
Thanks
Dan

·
91 SE-R
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cossie:
Replace both upper and lower "rubber spring seats", top front "thrush bearings" and you may need new "strut mounting insulators" for the front. "Top paper gasket" is recommended if you are concerned about noise. The springs will only fit there proper shocks, front or rear, so there's no worry of haveing front on rears etc... oh, check the "bound bumper rubber" sleave. If it's falling apart replace it as it protects the shock shaft from dirt and such. </font>
I see I will have to get a FSM. The Haynes book I have is basically useless for this stuff. I'll check my local dealer on these parts to see if in stock. If not, I'll take my chances and do the job, inspecting each part, and redoing whatever I have to later. Any of these parts "must do" versus "outta dos"?

Thanks
Dan

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AC7880:
Folks, I may be a little slow here but height wise they look the same, diameter wise they look the same</font>

Ok, well I have the sportlines and for the install the bigger, wider and just overall larger springs went up front.

------------------
Jordan White (Stormy)
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom Exhaust, JWT s4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy STB's, ES Mounts & shifter bushing, PWST X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 17" Borbet Type S's w/ 205/40 Kumhos, Nis-Knacks goodies

·
Registered
466 Posts
Going by the way my ProKitsare on my B14, the springs with the tighter coils are the rear ones. This may be different on the B13s, but I know the fronts should be the same.

------------------
Eric Waterman
1996 200SX SE-R
1997 200SX SE-R
1991 Sentra SE-R

G

·
0 Posts
Hey Dan, I ment no insult. The front coils have a few real tight wound coils and then the rest are spaced further. The rears are about the same though and through. I myself really recommend a factory shop manual. I can source one out for you if your dealer will not. I know some dealers would rather shoot themselves then help someone find something like a FSM.

·
91 SE-R
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NoVTECSER:
Going by the way my ProKitsare on my B14, the springs with the tighter coils are the rear ones. This may be different on the B13s, but I know the fronts should be the same.

</font>
Bingo - correct answer. Eibach tech assistance answered the question and you are correct on tighter wound in rear.

The easy answer is the spring ending with a 1 in the part no (printed on the spring) is front, part no ending in 2 is rear on all Eibach springs.
Hope this helps someone in the future.
Dan

G

·
0 Posts
Wow... been so long since I looked at mine. The post I made has them back words... tight then spaced goes on the rear. Sorry blokes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts