SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i just bought a 200 ser for a good price. the bad thing is it has the tapping problem . ive search on this and found that it could be that the lifters need bled. the mechanic that i bought it from said that he opened the valve cover before.
he says i need new lifters and cams. i also need to replace the front main seal cuz it leaks. and fix the mushy clutch pedal feel. is this a bad clutch or something else that can be a quick fix?

i have a few options. someone is giving me a lowport motor with good head but bad bottom. i hope this works out cuz i have to drive 3hrs to get it,but this might not be a definate .

the other option is buy a jdm sr20 from a place that sells jdm motors for 650. or buy a highport motor out of a nx for 300. the mechanic owns the nx and it is stripped and has been sitting in his back yard for a while, but he said that the guy he got it from said it fired right up and ran good.

i need to get this thing fixed cuz the tapping must be robbing the car of alot of power. what are your suggestions? i was gonna open the valve cover myself but wasnt sure what to look for to see which parts i needed to save some money.

thanks

·
JDM BOOST WHORE
3,772 Posts
just buy another jdm highport and swap it in with a new clutch since you'll have everything out , swap everything from old motor to new motor and slap everything back in.........done.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can i still use all my lowport setup? newb question, do they have both highport and lowport jdm engines? ive searched on here about the differences of hp and lp but didnt read much about the jdm motor. andcould i just buy the clutch disc? or would i need another pressure plate? thanks

·
4th sr20 and counting..
2,949 Posts
how many miles on this? please post pics of your cams! to me, i dont feel you need to replace the motor yet, cams and bleeding lifters are easy!! only a few hours, and if you really "need" cams why not just get a used set of JWT's from the forum?

visit JWT's site on there cam install. its really simple, once u get that VC off and the motor to TDC, you can press on the rocker and feel if the lifter needs to be bled! if its mussy, you'll need to remove the cams and bleed the mushy lifters. if there rock solid, let it be..
JGYCustoms.com - Install Rates

1/2 way down on that link is a breif info and picture of what your looking at once you pull that VC.

is your clutch slipping? is it oem still? miles? sure the cable might not just need to be adjusted?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the motor only has 116,000 miles which aint that bad. im wanting to just do what was posted above and just bleed the lifter and be done and maybe throw a highport cam in there. im not sure why the mech is telling me this other stuff, he specializes in nissan and is trustworthy. the clutch is oem. a friend had a similar problem with his clutch in his sr 240 and said his just needed fluid but we couldnt find a resovoir on mine. ive never adjusted a clutch before. it doesnt slip though ,so im not sure how to adjust the cable. thanks

·
RE-F/ING-TIRED:)
1,318 Posts
a friend had a similar problem with his clutch in his sr 240 and said his just needed fluid but we couldnt find a resovoir on mine. thanks
thats because you don't have a hydraulic clutch...cable actuated only

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
i did not know that. .

is it easy to adjust ? is their a link i can go to that explains how?ill try and search for it here

thanks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well it looks like im going to just get a jdm de and just have it swapped in . not sure if i should get the highport or lowport jdm. i would get the lowport but i didnt want the roller rocker. im probably getting it from all japenese engines. has anybody bought a sr20 from there?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts