SR20 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
SE-R enthusiast
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help,

I have searched and read most posts regarding this topic on several boards. Most people are content to live with a little chain noise after trying to work the simple fixes for this problem (i.e removal of upper chain guide, new tensioner)

I have already removed the upper chain guide and replaced the timing chain tensioner (twice), and now have the newer model tensioner with larger oil sump. The chain slap continues.

I am suspecting something wrong with the guides or chain itself.

Under close inspection I have found significant ( .25 inch) lateral movement in the timing chain (even while under tension) and lateral movement between the groved tensioner arm and the chain guide.

Two questions:
1. How much lateral play should there be between these components?
2. Have people had to replace their guides or chains, and what was the nature of the failure?

·
Original Owner
1,045 Posts
How many miles on the engine? I think you're probably right about the chain. I had the same noise, but it disappeared after I replaced my chain tensioner with the new redisigned unit.

·
SE-R enthusiast
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The engine is a young 120k mi. I have read that there was a TSB issued against the GA motor for problems with the chain guides. We might be having similar problems with the SR.

·
Registered
SR20DE stock G20 p10 highport
75 Posts
Can anyone comment about the SR20's timing chain guide (slack side) and the lateral movement I see at its pivot bolt?
With the chain off, I can move the guide front to back, which is to be expected, but there is also horizontal movement at the pivot bolt. I am thinking this extra movement may have put more stress on the tensioner and caused it to fail. Not really sure about that, which is why I wanted to ask.
I am aware that in the later SR20's, Nissan changed the slack-side guide and its bolt, which makes think it was for some specific reason.
In my case, at some point years back a mechanic rounded out the Allen head. I have pounded a 1/4 inch bit into the bolt's hex hole and used an impact driver to try to loosen the bolt but was unsuccessful.
It will not turn at all, loosen or tighten.
The bit does not spin or move at all when I attempt to loosen the bolt, which is good, but the bolt won't budge.

Should I be concerned about the horizontal movement of the guide at the pivot point on the bolt?

I appreciate any feedback.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts