SR20 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
FWD PWNAGE IS HERE!
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I decided to go with the summit kit

but it doesn't say what gauge wire the positive is. I am assuming it is 2 gauge? And then I am not sure what gauge wire the cars positive is if anyone knows please chime in. All and all I was thinking of useing this distribution

which has 1 0 gauge input and 2 4 gauge outputs. Or maybe something like this will work with a built in fuse...

This thing has 1 0gauge input, 2 4gauge, and 2 8gauge plus an lcd display of the current or something. Plus 2 anl fuses but don't know the size.

The main concern I have is for the fuse. I cannot find anywhere for the life of me exactly what size fuse to use and how people hooked it up inline. I've read 175... 200.... 225 so I am all confused. Also if I am going to be running a sub as well does the fuse size matter for that?

Maybe something like this would work for the fuse?

·
utahnissans.com
5,051 Posts
Re: Need help finishing my battery relocation kit... fuse size, preferred wire size etc..

That big-ass post and no replies, maybe this should be in the technical section or in the general forum. TTT

·
<>< Jesus is the Answer
5,518 Posts
Re: Need help finishing my battery relocation kit... fuse size, preferred wire size etc..

its a 2 guage setup if i remember right.

Ill take pics of my fusebox in a min if you want but for now here are my pics. check em out here: http://shift-dc.com/pics/Blair/battery box/

·
<>< Jesus is the Answer
5,518 Posts

give me a lil bit we had rain all day today and i just got home. Ill try and take some tomorrow.

Blair

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

I have the fuse holder similar to the one with the LCD but just doesn't have the LCD. I have a 250amp fuse in it. Nothing is hooked up yet so I don't know if it works how I hope it will. Let me know how yours works.

·
SR powered S13 coupe
6,728 Posts

For your fuse, anything over 100A (120A or higher preferrably) should be fine. I have been using a 80A breaker for quite some time with no problems.

Something like this is what you should use, save yourself the cost of fuses (the cost adds up fast) http://www.audiooutfitter.com/cgi-bin/store/GCB120.html

·
Registered
2,315 Posts

I bought a JL Audio 2GA Amp kit from the local audio place, thought it was $100, it came with plenty of 2GA, a gob of 4ga, a large fuse block with the wafer style 200amp fuse, and a distribution block that worked PERFECT to tie the oem wires into the new 2GA circuit.

Not the cheapest route, but I know its done right and its pretty :p

Chris

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts

I would highly reccomend using a sealed box instead of a cheapo marine box. Also If you use a fuse instead of a circuit breaker make sure you carry a spare. I used 2 gauge welding cable, Moroso sealed box, and a Phoenix Gold 200 amp circuit breaker for mine. There is more info in the archives if you want more info.

·
FWD PWNAGE IS HERE!
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

McCoy said:
For your fuse, anything over 100A (120A or higher preferrably) should be fine. I have been using a 80A breaker for quite some time with no problems.

Something like this is what you should use, save yourself the cost of fuses (the cost adds up fast) http://www.audiooutfitter.com/cgi-bin/store/GCB120.html
That circuit is only 120A though. Doesn't the inline fuse/circuit breaker need to be 250A?

·
SR powered S13 coupe
6,728 Posts

No, the starter does not pull that much current... even when the temp is -25F (I know this for a fact). Ask yourself what else is going to pull 250A from the battery? You can go with a 250A breaker if you want, mine was given to me and have had no issues with it. My battery was located in the trunk (hatch area) with the fuse 6" from the battery, then 7' of 4gauge wire to the original battery location. Also note that I am running no aftermarket amplifier or stereo in the car.

·
FWD PWNAGE IS HERE!
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Well I will be running an amp.. 1000W so about 500W RMS. You think the 120A would be ok to use still?

·
SR powered S13 coupe
6,728 Posts

What is the fuse size for that amp... 60A? I still say a 120A is OK, but for your own personnal satisfaction you could go with a 250A.

FWIW, I did run a Punch 4080 amplifier for a while with my above mentioned setup with no problems. I believe that amp was rated at around 320W rms and used a 60A internal fuse.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts