SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Bad Banana
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My NX has an overheating problem in the summer because my intercooler is blocking the radiator completely. I have decided to cut a hole or holes in my bumper in between the headlights to improve airflow. This will work great because there is nothing behind the bumper in this spot except the radiator. Now my problem is design of the cutout(s). Below are designs I have come up with using MS Paint. I have shaky hands, so I suck at this ****. You get the basic designs. I also was thinking off adding a Nissan emblem in the grill or between if I decide to go with 2 cutouts.

If anyone has any other suggestions, let me know. Thanks everyone for your help!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I try better fans, if you are still using stockers, go for the slim lines, they also provide better cooling as well.

But if you must cut #1 is prolly the coolest IMO.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I would go for the two rectangles, IMHO, or the single rectangle. It will look pretty bad ass functional. Don't do round ones! They'll look awful.

Doing the shaped cutout (#1) - I don't know what it is, but I just think it looks goofy.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I suppose you have tried a lower temp thermostat and water wetter ?

·
Bad Banana
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
socalnx said:
I suppose you have tried a lower temp thermostat and water wetter ?
No not yet. I have the water wetter and will put it in when the car comes out of storage, but will cutout the bumper also.

·
no..its not my daddys car
1,447 Posts
Ken, you get bored over there in Japan man? I like that....I wouldnt mind doing something like that to mine!

Theres also a guy on here that put a Civic Type R grill in....I remember seeing pics, and it looked pretty good....

Josh

·
Registered
408 Posts
imo , ^^^ that is tasteful

·
mhmmm
1,263 Posts
i like that one, it fits the lines of the car very well, i wouldnt mind clearing some space up in front of the egg with that, makes it look different..

·
Registered
803 Posts
The #1 is exactly what I'm doing to my NX....

·
Registered
532 Posts
Dude, I would install some sort of premade grill, but I would make sure it doesn't sit above any of the lines the headlights make. Otherwise, it looks goofy.

·
Bad Banana
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
b13ken said:

That is an r33 gt-r grill, looks pretty much like your #1 pic.

-ken
That one is nice, but would need molding definately. And I like how you found an old picture of my car. :D Where did you get that?

·
getting close
2,002 Posts
I also think the skyline style 1 is the way to go. I am planning on making some sort of cut out on my car also. Somthing with two openings and a nissan symbol in the middle might look good too, just like the pulsar gti-r's have

·
Bitter Old Man
2,623 Posts
A slotted hood would probably help as much as cutting the fascia and there is at least one CF version out there.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I went down this road and I'll share my experience.

The intercooler was covering air flow to radiator causing high water temps similar to what you've described.

An aftermarket high flow fan was installed with turbo. Not enough.

Added Water Wetter. Not enough.

Ceramic coated exhaust manifold and turbo exhaust housing. Not enough.

Made vented hood in an attempt to allow hot air in engine compartment to escape. Not enough.

Added holes in the front bumper with straight shot to radiator. Biggest improvement but not enough.

Added ceramic coated heat shield to exhaust manifold. BINGO!!!

It seems the largest issue is that the heat is held in the engine bay by the turbo and exhaust manifold. It just sits there radiating heat when you come to a stop. Water temps without any of the changes were fine when moving but when you came to a stop you could just wath the temp gauge climb. The holes expedited the cooling but didn't solve anything when at a stop.

The heat shield was easy for me as I was able to modify the stock one to fit my modified stock manifold that hold an external wastegate and T3/T4 turbo. If you have a log type manifold then you're on your own to fabricate one.

My recommendation is to add the holes and then add some sort of heatshield.

Best of luck

·
Bad Banana
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Actually, mine gets hottest on the highway, not idling or driving in traffic. As soon as I pass 120km/h, the temp guage just rises.

·
Bad Banana
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'll try the creamic coating of the heat shield though. It may help a bit.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 36 Posts