SR20 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
broke, busted and rusted
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my wife owns a 99 jetta mark IV, the pretty one.
It has 100,000 mi on it and is very rapidly falling apart,
I just put it in the shop today and here a list of what needs to be replaced.

timing belt
timing belt tensioner pulley
water pump
(getting the above 3 fixed today)

valve cover gasket
front struts
front pads and rotors
power steering hose
tune up, sparkplugs airfilter blah blah
(going to fix the above stuff myself)

lower control arm bushings in the front

this all basically happened at the same time. We just had it in the shop a couple months ago for a once over. And this is for real because we put it in the shop for alot of strange noises coming from the front end.

so do I sell the car or keep it? its still worth 5K - 6K private party (even with the problems) and my wife still owes just under 5K on it. Should I sell it and get something newer or keep it until its paid off?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
what would be the value of it when its in great (mechanical) condition? The above repairs shouldnt cost you over 1k dollars... if the value of the car in great mechanical condition is worth more than the repairs, then repair it, then sell it and make some cash.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I don't see how that is falling apart, those are general maintnence items except for the p/s hose, the t/b needs to be done at 105, and the struts do go bad over time. Just replace the parts and keep on driving it for another 100k :)

·
vincit omnia veritas
1,085 Posts
SELL! SELL! SELL! My personal experience with new volkswagons (worked in a vw shop for 8 months in 2002) is that they start falling apart as soon as they start rolling around. Seriously had more 95+ cars than 65-95 cars on a regular basais. Parents also had a 2002 bug 2.0, after the rear brakes went out at 13K miles and the dealership wouldn't do anything (even though volkswagon has a recall on them now because the 'valving' that controls the bias in the MC makes the rear brakes work too hard... and their fix is to install a harder compound pad so they don't wear as fast or bite as hard... I guess it is cheaper than fixing all MC's but still makes me worry, personally) - combined with the fact that the MAF went out three times by 32k, and we had to order a maf from canada (car was down for three weeks) because VW usa had a limit of 2 per customer because they were having so many problems with them... and the oil leaks... and the syncros grinding on anything but a 3 second shift... we sold the damn thing. Sour experience but... maybe I just had to vent :)

sell it, don't get another VW.

·
Is that wrong??
2,118 Posts
I have a friend with a 2001 or 2002 Jetta, it's in the shop 40% of the time..

·
broke, busted and rusted
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ick..... PNWser's description sounds just like my wife's car.
It grinds gears all the time. The tranny is leaking somewhere, the valve cover is leaking and the head gasket may be leaking as well. still im my experience its never a good sign when lots of stuff starts going bad at once.

Just wanted to see what you guys thought. Maybe an excuse for my wife to buy a TC now.

Oh And I found out that the 1st year run of this 2.0 motor had piston clearance issues. They were gapped too wide and have serious blowby. My wifes car blows blue smoke after shifts and needs 1 - 2 quarts of oil before 3000 mi.

think it might be time to sell after getting this batch of parts fixed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts