SR20 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all you SR20 freaks out there! I recently bought a 96 200SX SE-R about 2 months ago. I tried looking for a forum site for SR20 equipped vehicles but failed. Recently I've stumbbled upon this forum and was quick to register. Anyways... I'll list the mods I have and reasons for getting them (Please feel free to give me your opinion for the products I choose and reasons). First off, the tires that came from the private owner in which I bought sucked. They were worn and bald, and would slip a lot during daily driving. I immediately got some 205/50/15 Toyo Proxes FZ-4 (about $250 for all four). Next was the intake, I had my local motorsports call Hotshot for their CAI, but they didn't have them in stock, so I went for Place Racing. I didn't know that PR made CAI for my car until I picked up an older copy of Sport Compact Car and they used the PR CAI on their Project SE-R, and since I seem to trust SCC, I just bought the PR CAI (about $195). Next was springs, I got Eibach Sportlines. I chose them cuz Eibach has a good rep for being probably the best spring manufacturer and the Sportlines were the lowest drop for my car (about $275, maybe I got ripped off???). Finally I installed my HKS Super Dragger cat-back exhaust about a week ago (about $486 from Stillen). I chose HKS cuz they just make awesome exhausts and I'd prefer their's to Greddy's.

Ok, now the questions (sorry about the rambling).

1) Gonna get shocks next for sure. Dad does not approve of the quality of the ride. Since he does drive it once in a while and he did help me $2k to get the car. I was thinking of going with KYB AGX's. I want to know how streetable these are with Sportlines. Is it still a rough ride over train tracks and bumps?

2) After shocks, I'm going for headers. I know there are only three worth mentioning. Hotshot, AEBS, and Stillen. I've heard from a number of sources that the AEBS is a hard install, so that one is out. Which leaves Stillen and Hotshot. I was wondering since the Stillen header is 4-1, shouldn't it make more power than Hotshot's 4-2-1? I heard that the Stillen and Hotshot add almost the same HP. Which one should I get? Which is more reliable and easier to install?

3) Finally, a quick price question. How much does both of the latest generation cams from JWT cost? and ECU? Oh yeah, and also, are the JUN cams any good? (Probably getting cams and ECU this summer!)

Thanks for reading my very long post!
Laters

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SERacer:
I chose them cuz Eibach has a good rep for being probably the best spring manufacturer and the Sportlines were the lowest drop for my car (about $275, maybe I got ripped off???). </font>
The Sportlines were a bad choice. i can only imagine how shitty they ride on stock struts. Oh, and yeah, you did pay too much

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Finally I installed my HKS Super Dragger cat-back exhaust about a week ago (about $486 from Stillen). I chose HKS cuz they just make awesome exhausts and I'd prefer their's to Greddy's.
</font>
Why do you prefer theirs over greddy's? just wondering? Have you had another experience with a Greddy?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">[/b]
1thinking of going with KYB AGX's. I want to know how streetable these are with Sportlines. Is it still a rough ride over train tracks and bumps?[/b]
Hell yes...buy some Ground Control coilovers to go with the AGX's, youll be MUCH happier.

Hotshot, AEBS, and Stillen. I've heard from a number of sources that the AEBS is a hard install, so that one is out. Which leaves Stillen and Hotshot. I was wondering since the Stillen header is 4-1, shouldn't it make more power than Hotshot's 4-2-1? I heard that the Stillen and Hotshot add almost the same HP. Which one should I get? </font>

Why do you rule out the AEBS cuz its a harder install? Are you a baby? Me and MarC did mine, and yes, some parts were a pain, cuz its more involved cuz its a 4-1 as opposed to HS 4-2-1, but ill be the first to tell you i have no problems with the AEBS, i love the gains. And id do it again. Ill install yours if you want me to
The Stillen makes less power then the HS and is of crappy quality compared ot the HS and AEBS. If oyu are goign to rule out a header, the Stillen should be ruled out first, well besides the Pacesetter, anyways

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
3) Finally, a quick price question. How much does both of the latest generation cams from JWT cost? and ECU? Oh yeah, and also, are the JUN cams any good? (Probably getting cams and ECU this summer!)
Laters
</font>
i payed something like 570 for the cams, and the ecu is about the same. Dont buy JUN!! Craig, where are ya?!?!

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Matrix FSTB, Stillen GTR grill

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey RPWSER, I see you have the Sportline/AGX combo. How do they run? I ruled out the AEBS header cuz they were more of a pain to install, yes. I just want a nice and simple install that's all. So which one is better, HS or AEBS (in your opinion)? If the difference is significant, then I might go with the AEBS. BTW would the AEBS pass smog?

·
Registered
756 Posts
I was gonna go with the AEBS, but then I found a great deal on the Hotshot. 375 compared to 315.. I picked the HS to save some money.

·
Registered
909 Posts
There is no real significant difference between the 2. If you want an easy install then go with the HS. I did help Ryan with his install of the AEBS and I will not be going through that on my car. As for the springs the Sportlines are to low. And you paid way too much for them.

------------------
MarC

hood made transparent for your viewing pleasure http://members.home.net/mnmanderson/Publish/
AIM SER96MarC

·
SR20 Enthusiast
480 Posts
There is a slight difference between the two. I have had both the hotshot (gen. 3) and the AEBS. The AEBS is a bit more difficult to install but in my opinion is well worth it. In some parts of the power band compared to the HS it makes like 6lbs of torque more. That is a difference. If you want a quieter car then go with the HS it is a quality piece, easy to install, and doesn't hang as low as the AEBS. As a side not the HS did make better peak horsepower. By only 1 hp I might add. I am referring to the great header shootout for the SR20 in SCC by the way. Anyone have any dyno charts comparing the AEBS on a high port motor and low port motor? The test was done on a high port and was wondering if the torque gains would be better on the low port. Anyone have any info on that same high port/low port set-up for the Hotshot? I would be interested in the results.

------------------
98 200SX SE-R custom cold air by Andreas, AEBS header, Greedy exhaust, JWT motor mounts, UR pullies, Nismo fuel press.reg, JWT C1 cams and JWT gears, Valve springs and titanium retainers, ACT HD/PP, Clutchmasters flywheel,Sprint spring/AGX combo, no cat, custom JWT computer w/cam program, Bored airflow meter, and a best ET of 14.78 @94.8mph on street tires with full interior and no limited slip diff!

·
Registered
424 Posts
1) Gonna get shocks next for sure. Dad does not approve of the quality of the ride. Since he does drive it once in a while and he did help me $2k to get the car. I was thinking of going with KYB AGX's. I want to know how streetable these are with Sportlines. Is it still a rough ride over train tracks and bumps?</font>

Go to www.motivational.net check out the struts and coil-overs

------------------
96 w/ HS CAI, timing @ 17, 92 I/E cams, Naxos muffler, Eibach Sportlines, Front struts: Motivational, Rear shocks: KYB AGX's, S/T sway bars, ES lower control arm bushings and motor mounts, Courtesy F/R STB, APC Clear corners, Stillen grille, and Focus short throw.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Gonna get shocks next for sure. Dad does not approve of the quality of the ride. Since he does drive it once in a while and he did help me $2k to get the car. I was thinking of going with KYB AGX's. I want to know how streetable these are with Sportlines. Is it still a rough ride over train tracks and bumps?</font>
The sportlines are too low, that's the main reason the ride quality sucks. You probably have little to no travel in the back of the car. I would definitely get AGX struts, and also recommend the Motivational ( www.motivational.net ) rear strut mounts. This will recover about an inch of travel in the back and will definitely improve the ride.

paul

·
Registered
194 Posts
Whoa... another SER in Fresno???? That makes like 3 of us. Me, you, and SERvo. You ever go down to the ghetto track man? Its been sucking as of late.

Mel

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You see guys I was going to get some Ground Control Coilovers but decided that I could drop my car and get exhaust instead. The point is...could I still get an alright (not great luxurious Infinti style) ride quality?

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
JUN cams are definately high quality but are very expensive. The gains from JUN's cams are about the same as Jim Wolf's S4 cams. If you want to get some nasty cams get the C2's or the C3's when available.

------------------
Ryan 97 Black SER
advanced timing,custom 2.5" catback exhaust with dynomax super turbo muffler, Unorthodox Racing Pulleys, ES shifter Bushing, Hotshot Header, Hotshot CAI

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
This thread (is that what its called i dunno im new?) was really informative, thanks. Bookmarked the motivational sight hehe. Can you install the rear strut mounts, with like the kyb/agx and prokit setup. Thats what I think i'm gonna get. Sorry mark i skipped your post

[This message has been edited by Bennitto Mallito (edited 04-25-2001).]

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Mel, you in Fresno too?
I do go to the track like almost every week, but I hate it and probably wont go anymore. (Just way too many cars, can't get in decent runs). I have a black 96 2SX SE-R...Maybe you've seen me. What do you have? And SERvo? I see a white classic and a red one like mine out there sometimes... that you guys? Well as far as the shocks go, I will most likely get AGX and the Motivational mounts. Thanks guys for your helpful advice.

------------------
96 200SX SE-R
Sportline Springs, PR CAI, HKS Exhaust

[This message has been edited by SERacer (edited 04-26-2001).]

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey SERacer, do you have a picture of your exhaust? if not, if you could give me your impressions of it..looks, sound..etc..
Thanks!
Brendan

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sure VSPEC,
First no pics...haven't taken pics of my car yet..As for install, its really easy, so easy in fact that I did it myself! The piece is very good quailty and fits perfectly. I didn't know my stock piping was so small compared to the HKS's or any other aftermarkets. As for the sound, its good and deep, its a little bit loud at first but once used to it, its not as loud as other "H" emblemed cars out there. As far as power gains, I did feel a little grunt down low below 3500rpm, as for high end, I don't really know...hard for me to tell.

------------------
96 200SX SE-R
Sportline Springs, PR CAI, HKS Exhaust

[This message has been edited by SERacer (edited 04-26-2001).]

·
Registered
194 Posts
Maybe you should go down with us to Hanford. Smaller groups and they have a kick ass track down there. I'm probably the white classic that you see out there. SERvo has (had) a white 200 but he was in an accident recently and they haven't really said what they're going to do with the car. As far as I know the red one just goes to spectate. The fastest car up here was a green classic but he hasn't been out there in a loooooooooooong time. I watched him take an MR2 by like 3 cars one night. And that MR2 was the fastest thing out here. He won't race our Z though.

Mel

·
Registered
883 Posts
(not great luxurious Infinti style) ride quality?</font>
hehehehe

------------------

Kris94G20™
"clears and stickers, the best bang for your buck"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts