SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you want a 3" exhaust from the turbo to the exhaust tip. Mike Jez got a custom 3" downpipe made that I will be getting from him. I would like to get the 3" exhaust made before I put the turbo on if at all possible. But I want to have a sleeper, well, a not loud car anyways cuz I had a loud car before (2 chamber Flowmaster on the stock exhaust of my 3.8L Olds V6) and don't want one again. Think I'll follow Naji's guidelines and get the longest glasspack muffler I can get to quiet it down while keeping it 3" all the way back. I *hope* there's a GOOD custom exhaust place in town that will do this for me.

Any other knowledge on what I should look for in a turbo exhaust? Do I seem to have it down pat?

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
getting 3 inch exhaust to quiet down? that is just like asking a civic w/ a $50 universal muffler not too sound too ricy. more than likely, not gonna happen.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Get the cop pulling me over:

"You got a muffler on that thing?"

Yup. :) (cop looks, sees the muffler there)

"You got a cat on that thing?"

Yup. :) (cop looks, sees the cat there)

"Uhh, why's that little car so damn loud?"

(Ben pulls out his dyno chart and best timeslip from the glovebox, shows to cop)

"In THIS THING? REALLY?"

Heh :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Ben, your turbo should help quiet things down a bit - the impeller should cut up the exhaust pulses into more managable slices.

The heavier the gauge of your exhaust pipe, the quieter, and more costly, it will be.

A long resonator is a good idea. Also, keep the tip at 3-3.5" to minimize the megaphone effect(and visual impact).

G

·
0 Posts
As others have said, the turbo does quiet the exhaust a bit. Besides that the longest perforated core resonator you can get and I've found that a resonated tip helps too. Get a 3" tip!

Ryan
95 200SX Turbo
392hp, 367torque @ the wheels

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't even hear my stock exhaust, but I can hear my open airbox which I like :)

Anyways, with all the POWER I will be putting out I was just assuming it would be generally louder, but we will see. At first I will be running a 2.5" custom downpipe to the stock cat, stock b-pipe, and stock muffler. I want to eventually have a 3" free flowing exhaust, but I'm just afraid of it being annoyingly loud. Mike Jez's car with that same custom downpipe and Greddy exhaust was pretty quiet to ride in, MUCH quieter than my open airbox. Just from experiencing his car, it seems that turbo intakes are not noisy. My open airbox will be missed :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts