SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang:

Just got home from Geekout #2 at Bens house. We swapped the head, installed the S4's, T25 setup and RC engineering 64mm Throttle body. Timing was set at 15 and everything was lined up. She studders a "TAD" when boost hits, but only in boost. When I get on it gradually it speeds up perfect. When it hits 5000 RPM, its like it hits a wall or the rev limiter / fuel cutoff. Very weird. I hear either a tick or ping at idle when i stand next to the engine too.

I am leading to getting the timing dialed in PERFECTLY. For all you Turbo guys/gals, please give me some input on what I can check to do to adjust this. Chris @ SR20 assured me that I have the S4 program in my ECU that he had delivered saturday, but we all know how that goes. Thanks so much in advance, ( no pun intended there )! :D I have to replace the starter tomorrow too, it died before making the 3 hour trip home! :mad:

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They were the same ones I had before, the stock reccommended platinum NGk's, about 4 months old. Possibility? I know Ben said to change them to a colder copper or something, but I didnt think they would make this happen? Could it?

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
I'm no expert here, but any type of forced induction (super-, turbo-charger, or nitrous) needs smaller plug gaps, John.

I'd try the copper plugs, too. Andreas Mikoleiczik will hopefully chime in here, as he would know much more than I do about turbo plugs.

Bring the gaps down to .030 or less, and see what happens! Just a off-the-cuff suggestion. Maybe it'll work.

-GP-

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wasn't even thinking of that Greg! Damnit. Can anyone give me the NGK copper #'s? Do I need to go colder as well? TIA!

G

·
copper ngk v-power #'s bkr6e stock-bkr5e colder-bkr7e hotter. platinum sucks. BTW, in a DET that a friend and me just installed, started with 5e's and stock boost, then s4's and 7e's and it runs like a friggin top. normally the stock turbo(all this at stock boost, with top mount) kinda wheezes out at 6-6.5k, but these cams RULE with turbo. two powerbands, turbo spool at 3.5k and cam pull at 6k. it's sweet, right as your turbo says bye, your cams say hi. i think the higher lift and more duration allows to turbo to keep going, it pulls, right into rev cut.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just a note here. A heat range 7 plug is colder than a 5 or 6, not hotter. By the way, a heat range 7 should be used for very high boost appliactions only....like at the track. During regular street driving, a heat range 7 will be on the edge of fouling becuase it does not get enough to clean itself of carbon deposits. For best results during average street use, a 6 would be the best heat range to use.

By the way, platinum plugs do not suck.

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
v8killer2001 said:
Just a note here. A heat range 7 plug is colder than a 5 or 6, not hotter. By the way, a heat range 7 should be used for very high boost appliactions only....like at the track. During regular street driving, a heat range 7 will be on the edge of fouling becuase it does not get enough to clean itself of carbon deposits. For best results during average street use, a 6 would be the best heat range to use.
Unless you live in AZ :D Don't take my word for it, just ask Louis, Ryan, Shaun, Terry, etc..... :D

·
vincit omnia veritas
1,085 Posts
plats are great for mileage. thats about it. not like a big power increase between the two, but i can tell a difference using copper vs. plats. try bouncing off the rev limiter. real soggy with plats, nice and sharp, faster recovery with coppers. i don't know why, maybe cause copper conducts electricity better than platinum, and the electrode surface area on a copper plug is bigger. i still stand by my earlier saying that platinum sucks, unless is hanging around your neck

·
Registered
178 Posts
HotshtSR20 said:
platinum conducts better than copper, as does silver and gold.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Silver is first, then Copper. Platinum is no where as good, but it's used in plugs because of it's long life.

Silver has a slight edge over copper at 1.63 x10 -6 ohms/cm vs 1.70 x 10-
6 for copper. Gold is next at 2.44 x 10-6 and platnum trails way back at
1 x10-5.

I think this is for room temp. I am not sure if this still applies at high temps like in the engine, but I would think so...

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
when i used to dick around with R/C cars all the time, Silver did indeed conduct the best, next came gold, then platinum or copper (i cannot really remember, you may be right) . but if copper conducts better, is the only reason for platinum use because of long life and gimmickery? what other advantages does platinum offer, other than the bling bling factor? more accurate spark?

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
what is the advantage of iridium plugs? or is it a gimmick just like the split fires? flux capacitor?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Well gang, I frigin found an open vacuum line today as I was going through the iginition system trying to find out why it wont start. Its the one tht connects the the stock intake boot, almost directly under it. its about a 3/16 or 1/4 inch hose, it was just hiding behind the intake manifold, where the other end connects. Once I can get the car to start, I am sure that will cure my hesitation and no power above 5000 problems! Running rich is a bitch! :D

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Yup that could be part of the problem. We went over the engine atleast twice but then again our eyes were tired and been looking at that engine for too long. So didnt really see too much wrong, kinda like proofreading your own paper. but you went pig rich at WOT as i said driving behind you.

good luck with it tho, i still want a ride sometime, its the only payment i ask when working on cars, same for greg :D

oh yea you suck john, i think im sick. im sitting here shaking right now under this blanket, think its about bed time

·
GUPAMF 4 Life
1,240 Posts
Yup, copper conducts better than platinum. It just detiorates faster. I'd rather run coppers and replace them and have fresh ones more often, than have expensive plats that last a long time but dont work as well at the end of their life. Know what I mean? IMO, the only reason the stock plugs are platinum is the selling factor. Who wouldn't want a car that requires a tune up after 100,000 miles? You can only get that if you had platinum plugs. Does it mean its better? Nope. BUT, as usual, YMMV. Mike Kojima likes the platinums better. As for me, at $1.50 each, you can't beat the price on coppers.

Terrin
92 SE-R

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
good point about the plat's. I don't have a periodic table handy but that may hold the secret to what conducts better. still no word on iridium?

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
its the only payment i ask when working on cars, same for greg
Kevin, you're welcome to a ride in my car any freakin' time, buddy. I wish I could have stuck around last weekend, so that you could experience the nitrous for yourself.

When the T28 goes on, you've got dibs on first ride. Promise.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.