SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. My gf has a 1998 200sx with the 1.6L engine coupled to the 5-spd tranny. She was driving it today and the clutch "popped" at a red light and would not come back up. She said she even pulled it up with her foot, but it would sink right back down.

When I got there and peeked under the hood I noticed the clutch cable was all slack and the rubber holder had also popped out of place. I put those back in place, but it would still not engage the clutch and the pedal felt as if it still wasn't attached to the cable. When I looked under the dash to see if the clutch cable has busted or popped out of place on the clutch pedal I could not really see anything since it was so cramped under there. I could feel the cable though, it is holding on to something, but I can't see what.

Is there a diagram that shows how the clutch cable is connected to the clutch pedal somewhere since I can't see crap down there. I am assuming this is the problem right now since there is no tension in the cable at all at this time. Any help or suggestions is very appreciated!

Arman G.

·
SR powered S13 coupe
6,728 Posts
The clutch cable broke... not to common, but does happen. To get it off the pedal side, just reach up there, and push up on the cable where it meets the pedal. There is a small hook that the cable sits on, just keep playing with it until it pops off.

I have a new nissan clutch cable for a 1.6L B14 (the model car your girlfriend has). I got it on accident and if needed can ship it out tomorrow if needed.

If interested just PM me, if you need it done faster just stop by the local nissan dealer, they should have one in stock.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help! The car is parked in a bad spot right now, sitting on a spot on campus where they check the area for cars parked in the zone for more than 2 hours. I would get it from you if you were local, but I need to get it out of there quick.

How hard is it to run a new cable to the pedal? One person job?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much for the link and help. It turns out the cable had snapped in between the firewall. I am getting a new one today to replace it.

Only one last question. You know how the cable attaches to the transmission end? There is a lever looking arm on the tranny that the cable attaches to. I was trying to moved it by hand, but it wont move at all. I was hoping the cable did not snap because of internal damage making that arm get stuck. Maybe it's much harder to try to move it by hand than by foot?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it on there in about 10 minutes surprisingly. The pedal has never felt this good, no more squeaky noises either. The only thing now is that the clutch grabs really high up, but doesn't slip. I will have to see how to adjust that part once it cools down today. This forum was to great help with friendly members!

·
SR powered S13 coupe
6,728 Posts
To get the clutch engagement lower just loosen up the cable a few turns at the clutch arm... the big nut you adjust with your hand. Just make sure to retighten the little nut on the other side so it doesn't back off over time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts