SR20 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, by October I will probably have like 5-6k to spend on my car and decided to go w/ a DET swap. I've been searching all over the se-r lists and it seems like there are a couple of possible DET swaps. 1) from the Bluebird or 2) from the Pulsar or 3) from a Sunny. Any differences between these engines? Which one is better and/or easier to install? Any way to check if the engine is in good condition and mileage?

Here's how the 5-6k is going to be spent (please comment
)

SR20DET + ecu/wiring/stuff ..... $3000 (max)
Installing engine .............. $ 500 (max?)
New Heavy Duty Clutch .......... $ 350
Flywheel maybe? ................ $ 300
Motor mounts? .................. $ ???

Do I need a new ECU from JWT? I'm planning on leaving the DET stock for a while and slowly build up from there.

Anything else you guys think I will need? I'm going for reliablity first. I'm pretty sure the stock DET will at least get me in the 14's, which will satisify my speed thirst for awhile.

Also, how long does it take for the DET swap? I think I've told all you guys this before but the maximum amount of days that I can go without my car is about 2.

One more thing... Could I still use my PR CAI and HKS Exhaust on the DET?

Thanks.

------------------
96 200SX SE-R
Sportline Springs, PR CAI, HKS Exhaust

http://photos.yahoo.com/sr20ser

·
_______
3,640 Posts
You'd be better off getting an F-max kit. This way you could be Cali emmisions legal. Unlike with the DET.

Mike

·
Registered
230 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SERacer:
Anything else you guys think I will need? I'm going for reliablity first. I'm pretty sure the stock DET will at least get me in the 14's, which will satisify my speed thirst for awhile.

</font>
You're just shootin for 14's? Man, Cold Air intake, Header, and Exhaust is ALL you need to do it. Mapball did it... 14.8's. You wanna dip a lil lower? get an Ecu, Cams, etc, mid-low 14's for sure. of course nothing can beat the sound of a spoolin turbo and a bov

------------------

·
Fmax Stg II B13
358 Posts
From experience, do like someone mentioned and worry about the exhaust once you have a turbo, and do the 3" route... when I have my exhaust on (HKS) It feels like I'm losing 30+hp easily...

------------------
Brian
AIM: pdxs2000
91 se-r 12.31 @ 117.8mph
00 s2000 14.1 @ 98.6 mph

·
Not on fire... yet
591 Posts
This might help a bit...
Here was my swap if done at "retail" I have accts with the companies so I guessed on what they usually go for.

BB SR20DET..........1600
ACT clutch..........275
JWT ECU.............600??
ES motor mounts.....60
Rod bearings........45?
downpipe and exh.....95

$2675 total
figure $500 extra for install "(its a pretty easy swap)
I would do the rod bearings regardless of mileage (mine was LOW), its really easy with the motor out the car and its worth it , might want to do the water pump too.
entire exh was done by a friend
Used the DE flywheel
already had the JWT ecu and Ben (JWT) wanted an S14 ecu I had so we made a deal.
the clutch is an ACT street/strip.

I dont have to meet emmissions down here though so I didnt do all the EGR stuff just have a Cat.

I think thats it.... hope it helps.

------------------
93 NX2K
some stuff and a DET
"project street mod?"
1988 BMW M3 w/ a few toys

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
f-max kit, don't mess around with a tiny turbo, get a big one, get more power, and you dont have to worry about how the previous owner of the engine treated his car.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the response guys. I've decided probably just to do what SeattleSE-R says and go all-motor (That way I can compete directly w/ GS-Rs and beat them at their own game
). It will probably save me more money in the long run, since I'm only 18 and struggling through college.

------------------
96 200SX SE-R
Sportline Springs, PR CAI, HKS Exhaust

http://photos.yahoo.com/sr20ser

1 - 8 of 8 Posts