SR20 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone- Here is the address to my Photopoint album. I just downloaded new pics. Enjoy!

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1497569&a=11327630

------------------
Louis Anaya 1992 Sentra SE-R
13.6 @ 111 mph(Street Tires), Bluebird SR20DET w/ GTiR Pistons,T3/T04E,Deltagate Wastegate (9 PSI) FMAX Manifold, RevHard FMIC, JWT S3 Cams, JWT Ported & Polished Head, 1996 200SX SE-R Welded & Cyro Treated Tranny, ACT Xtreme P/PL & 6 Puck Disc, Cobra MAF, JWT ECU w/ 4 Bar Fuel Program, MSD 50lb/hr Injectors, JWT Fuel Rail, 300ZXTT Fuel Pump, AeroMotive Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Greddy Type "R" BOV, Greddy Profec B, Greddy Boost & EGT Guages, UR 4 Pulley Kit, Powerslot Rotors, Axxis MM Brake Pads, ES Motor Mounts, Topspeed Short Shifter, Momo Cobra Shift Knob, KYB AGX Struts, GC Coilovers (350F/600R)& 17x7 White Tenzo Shu-4's w/ Kuhmo 205/40/ZR17 Tires

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Everyone-
Thanks for the comments!

Mike-
I am having problems with the car sputtering. I ran it this past weekend on 22x8x13 M&H slicks and could only get a best of 12.74 @112 w/o the Drag Launch Program on 1.1-1.2 bar(116 leaded). The timing is set at 15 degrees, I am running Platinum NGK plugs gapped at .020", I have an MSD 6A ignition box w/ the stock coil. I dont understand why the car sputters past 1.1-1.2 bar! I have ran 1.3-1.4 bar on pump gas on the street without problems. It seems to occur past 1.2 bar.I ran the car a few weeks back with an MSD Blaster SS Coil and the car sputtered even worse. I am running a set of old NGK Plug wires right now. Ben and I have talked about a few different things. 1. Changing the Platinum plugs to NGK BKR7E11's gapped at .022-.023". 2. Swapping the NGK wires to Magnecor 8.5mm and then Stock Nissan Wires. 3. Cranking the timing to 17 degrees? We aren't too sure about thins because I have low compression and Ben thinks that Clarke may have already programmed the ecu with aggressive ignition timing fo rteh lower compression. I want to send the ecu back to JWT this week to reprogram it for the Drag launch program, Race fuel Program, and possiblely using the N2O Module for the H20 program later on down the road. The car has teh 4 bar fuel program right now and is programmed for the BB DET. I recently switched the .63 exhasut housing to the .82 housing, but I don't think it would cause the sputtering problems. I can only crank the car up to 1.1-1.2 bar before it starts to pop/sputter. It isn't detonation. I just don't know what else to do right now. If you could email me privately when you get a chance, I would appreciate it.

Thank you!

------------------
13.6 @ 111 mph(Street Tires),12.7 @ 112 mph(Slicks 2.00 60' time), Bluebird SR20DET w/ GTiR Pistons,T3/T04E,Deltagate Wastegate (9 PSI) FMAX Manifold, RevHard FMIC, JWT S3 Cams, JWT Ported & Polished Head, 1996 200SX SE-R Welded & Cyro Treated Tranny, ACT Xtreme P/PL & 6 Puck Disc, Cobra MAF, JWT ECU w/ 4 Bar Fuel Program, MSD 50lb/hr Injectors, JWT Fuel Rail, 300ZXTT Fuel Pump, AeroMotive Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Greddy Type "R" BOV, Greddy Profec B, Greddy Boost & EGT Guages, UR 4 Pulley Kit, Powerslot Rotors, Axxis MM Brake Pads, ES Motor Mounts, Topspeed Short Shifter, Momo Cobra Shift Knob, KYB AGX Struts, GC Coilovers (350F/600R)& 17x7 White Tenzo Shu-4's w/ Kuhmo 205/40/ZR17 Tires

·
Registered
448 Posts
Louis, I had a problem around 17psi with sputtering as well. I ended up doing two things. The main one was going to BKR6 range plugs (7 were running too cold) and making sure the plugs were gapped to .020 TIGHT. In otherwords about .019. Believe it or not that helped out a LOT and I could now go to 20+psi. I used to run them at .021-.022

The other was pull a little fuel out, but my car was set up fat so this will probably not apply to you.

I have a Digital 6, MSD Blaster Coil, Accell 8mm wires (The SE-R specific ones).

Just for "haha's" drop your gap to like .018 and see if it cures it.

IMO these cars are little girls in regards to spark plugs. I end up changing mine every few weeks. (Non plats at $5 a set) The change in top end performance is noticable after only 2 or 3 weeks of hard use.

I have talked to MSD and they really don't have anything "hotter" for the ignition that is also a daily driver type module. The car is not lighting the fire very well. I need a godzilla coilpack or something. Crane claims their stuff will do the job better than MSD. Maybe I'll give them a call.

[This message has been edited by Jay Hass (edited 02-26-2001).]

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Jay-
I have the Platinum Plugs in the car and they are gapped at .020" right now. I had a problm with the Blaster SS Coil a few weeks back so I went back to the stock one. It seemed to be doing fine. I am only running the 7mm NGK wires though, which may be a problem. The only reason why I am running Platinums is by advisement from both Mike K and Mike Smith(JWT). Had to do with the Platinums working better under high cylinder pressures. I used to run the BKR7E11's all the time when I was on NOS and I NEVER had a problem with them. The 7's are the optimum heat range for me to run; I live in AZ remember. It still only gets to 65 degrees on our coldest day. I am going to pick up some BKR7E11's after work today and see how they do. Ben and I have been talking about running the MSD Blaster 2 Coil. We think the stock 95-97 internal coil may be able to produce more spark than the 91-93 external coil(Um, maybe that is why Nissan went with the internal coil in the first place?!?). Mike Smith explained to me that I would need a coil to produce 50,000 volts in order to keep up with the amount of boost I wanted to run. Either which way, I think I may need more spark. I can't crank the timing up too much because, supposedly, the JWT ECU for low compresion has a much more aggressive timing curve. It is getting frustrating dealing with this thing! I know the car has the potential to make 425-450 to the wheels; just getting all the bugs out is the hardest part. At this point, I just want the car to do what is was intended to do; GO FAST!

------------------
13.6 @ 111 mph(Street Tires),12.7 @ 112 mph(Slicks 2.00 60' time), Bluebird SR20DET w/ GTiR Pistons,T3/T04E,Deltagate Wastegate (9 PSI) FMAX Manifold, RevHard FMIC, JWT S3 Cams, JWT Ported & Polished Head, 1996 200SX SE-R Welded & Cyro Treated Tranny, ACT Xtreme P/PL & 6 Puck Disc, Cobra MAF, JWT ECU w/ 4 Bar Fuel Program, MSD 50lb/hr Injectors, JWT Fuel Rail, 300ZXTT Fuel Pump, AeroMotive Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Greddy Type "R" BOV, Greddy Profec B, Greddy Boost & EGT Guages, UR 4 Pulley Kit, Powerslot Rotors, Axxis MM Brake Pads, ES Motor Mounts, Topspeed Short Shifter, Momo Cobra Shift Knob, KYB AGX Struts, GC Coilovers (350F/600R)& 17x7 White Tenzo Shu-4's w/ Kuhmo 205/40/ZR17 Tires

·
Registered
448 Posts
Ah yea I did forget about the AZ thing!

I know you have been running .020, I was just saying be sure it's dead on. I took the time to make sure they were .020 tight and it really made a differnce. I couldn't believe it.

I'm not too crazy about the MSD coil myself, but we thought I had a bad stock coil, that's why I got it.

I have been running the non-plats too with great results...besides at $5 a set it's easy to swap them out often.

I did notice something about your plug numbers that may be the problem. IIRC the -11 plug is the extended gap plug. I ran those once and it caused all sorts of troubles. The extened gap plug makes you bend the electrode at way to far of an angle at .020 and only the tip has the proper gap as the rest is on a severe angle.

I use the non extended gap plugs now.

Those wires probably don't help either.

Good luck.

P.S. Be sure your insulators are not cracked...had that happen to and it drove me nuts for about 2 weeks. It was a hair line crack in the porcelain. DOH!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Last night I swapped out the (BKR7EVX11)Platinum plugs for the (BKR7E11)Copper plugs, gapped them to .020" also and they seem to be doing the job @ 1.1 bar. The only problem I saw on the plugs was the carbon that was on the porcelin seemed to be flaking off, other than that, they seemed ok. The electrodes were good and the porcelin was intact. I also swapped out the NGK plug wires for a set of stock Nissan wires. Mike K told me to get a new cap and rotor also, so I will do that tonight. I am sending my ecu out tomorrow for the Drag Launch program, High octane program, and I am goingto swap out my N20 module for the H20 module, just in case I get H20 injection later on down the road.

------------------

[This message has been edited by APEXSER (edited 02-27-2001).]

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by APEXSER:
Last night I swapped out the (BKR7EVX11)Platinum plugs for the (BKR7E11)Copper plugs, gapped them to .020" also and they seem to be doing the job @ 1.1 bar. The only problem I saw on the plugs was the carbon that was on the porcelin seemed to be flaking off, other than that, they seemed ok. The electrodes were good and the porcelin was intact. I also swapped out the NGK plug wires for a set of stock Nissan wires. Mike K told me to get a new cap and rotor also, so I will do that tonight. I am sending my ecu out tomorrow for the Drag Launch program, High octane program, and I am goingto swap out my N20 module for the H20 module, just in case I get H20 injection later on down the road.

</font>
Louis,

Jay is right about the non extended tip plugs, I forgot to tell you about that the other night. I am very sorry.

Mike

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hey Louis,

Keep posting the board on what's going on with your car and the sputtering problem. I am actually learnin from this topic.

Peace!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts