SR20 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished putting back my car together, new clutch disc, pressure plate, TO bearing, clips. The pedal feels right, and when I shift through the gears they all seem to be there so I think I hooked up the shift control rod correctly. When I start the car and the pedal is down it sounds fine and the wheels don't turn (it is still up on jackstands).

But when I let out the clutch while it's in neutral, the wheels move forward. I have no idea why. 1st gear they move forward faster, all the way through 5th gear (the fastest). Reverse works but there is a weird sounds from the tranny, kind of a moaning sound.

Why would it move in neutral? I adjusted the clutch pedal. I don't understand.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure I did something wrong, but what did I do? Could the tranny be bad (I did sort of drop it a little when it was removed)? Or would it have to do with the clutch itself/TO bearing/input shaft/etc?

·
Anti-Search Nazi
1,194 Posts
Its the clutch cable, if you have your cable adjusted all the way to the rear, replace your cable. Same exact thing happen to me when I installed my clutch. I would also check where you mounted the clutch cable bracket that mounts to the block, because if you removed it and put it back on, there is a good chance you mounted it too far forward (as I did).

I had the same symptoms, I would have the clutch in first and it would roll forward, and when I would put it in reverse, it would make a nasty sound.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that was it, thanks! The cable was new, but I didn't have it all the way to the rear. It seems OK there now.

Now on to other problems (missing, stumbling).... ugh.

·
lack of sr20 owner
1,329 Posts
When my car is on jackstands my front wheels roll forward in neutral. I dont have any of the other problems you guys have? And what would a clutch cable have to do with the transmission being in neutral anyways?

·
sellout
1,000 Posts
Most cars with manual transmissions do this. Its hard to explain, but the fluid friction in the tranny will cause the mainshaft/final drive to spin slowly. Its obviously not powerful enough to do anything when the car is on the ground.

·
Registered
310 Posts
what is thata grinding sound when shifting into reverse anyways?? :confused:

i always got that on my old clutch and i still get it on the new one.... when the i stop for a while, and then, shift into reverse i don't get it, but anyother time no matter how smoothly i shift I still get this problem....

i've messed alot with clutch freeplay too btw. i kept it really loose on my old clutch, but i have to use very little freeplay on the new clutch because otherwise i can't get it to dissengage fully...

sorry for stealing your thread robbie. haha. back to you man.

·
sellout
1,000 Posts
Reverse are large, straight cut gears and have no synchros. When they dont line up, the teeth will hit each other and not engage. If you hit the clutch pedal and quickly go for reverse, they will grind sometimes because the tranny is still spinning. If you depress the clutch and wait a second or two, it won't grind. Also, when it won't go into reverse you can either let up a little on the clutch to spin the shaft so the gears line up, or shift into other gears to bump the gearset around and help line them up. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
310 Posts
whitehawk said:
Reverse are large, straight cut gears and have no synchros. When they dont line up, the teeth will hit each other and not engage. If you hit the clutch pedal and quickly go for reverse, they will grind sometimes because the tranny is still spinning. If you depress the clutch and wait a second or two, it won't grind. Also, when it won't go into reverse you can either let up a little on the clutch to spin the shaft so the gears line up, or shift into other gears to bump the gearset around and help line them up. Hope this helps.
yea it does, really good info. never knew reverse had no synchros.

too bad there isn't a way to shift into reverse more smoothly and quickly.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yea, reverse doesn't have synchros that is why when you are moving you can put it in reverse even with the clutch in... you can put it in there far enough so the reverse lights go on and scare any tailgaters. :p

·
Captain Slow
149 Posts
ResidentWarui said:
yea it does, really good info. never knew reverse had no synchros.

too bad there isn't a way to shift into reverse more smoothly and quickly.
Oh, there is. If you're coming to a halt, you can keep the shift lever in whichever forward gear you're in and depress the clutch while you brake. As soon as the speedometer hits 0, you can immediately shift into reverse. The reason this works is when you're sitting still, neither the forward nor the reverse gears are rotating. You can therefore cleanly slide the shifter between the two and not risk any drivetrain damage.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I always thought this was normal for a manual car. I know my front wheels slowly spin when the car was jacked up. Of course, it doesn't pull forward like it sounds like some cars are doing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts