SR20 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(grab a snickers, theres a story to read...sorry) ok, so i just put in a JDM in my nx. while they were swaping it out, the shop said that my clutch (which was the 2nd clutch on the 116k car) had burn marks on it and i'd be needing a new one soon. so figured might as well get it while the car's apart. well, i finally got it back and was more happy than ever ( i had only owned the car for 3 months b4 it broke) needless to say with new tires on it as well, i went out to have some fun. One day, and i was taking off hard, i noticed that when i shifted, it couldnt grap 2nd until it had calmed down to 5k RPM. i thought maybe it was somthing i did. but then later on it started doing it more and more. so i asked my dad and he asked some guys at his work (works at ford) and they said i needed to break my clutch in for 5k miles. didnt know that. so now i have been driving painfully slow and what not to hopfully save the clutch. but i was wondering if there is any way else to do this, to make sure the glaze thats now in there comes off. so if any1 has any ideas, lemme know. thanks (sorry for the long story)

·
The ELITE NX2k Bredren!
5,150 Posts
IT also depends on what kind of clutch you put in there. If you put one thats equivelant to a stock clutch, it will slip whenever it gets really hot. But it will go back to gripping when ever it cools down.

Stock clutches are made to last long but not grip hard

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
don't baby the pedal.......just rev-match it with quick pedal action, there is no transition between being engaged and disengaged , treat the pedal the same way...

....it gets alot more fun with a light FW and a ceramic disk....

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
.....Mr. wangwang is right.... if your looking for a little bit more bite than stock but really easy on the pocket Advance auto carries our size in 'Ram Clutch for around $60 it might take a day but it's better than a week...the PP's are all new stampings so they aren't refurb'd. they're organic/copper disks will set in about 100 mi. too...

.... good luck..

·
Registered
163 Posts
was the flywheel turned when they replaced the clutch? It will take alot longer for the clutch to "break in" if it wasn't. I replaced a clutch in a 240sx I used to have and diddn't bother having the flywheel turned it took about 6 months of driving untill the clutch would grab as hard as it is supposed to, but yea give it some time to wear in before thinking theres something wrong. You don't have to baby it just don't try to do any dragstrip style launches in it for a while. good luck...Nick~

1 - 7 of 7 Posts