SR20 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
JDM style
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well just recently I was checkin Sport Compact and there was a really small column on Nissan. p.79 may 2k1..
well they talk about the new SR20VET.. imagine that
this engine is gonna come in the JDM Xterra's
The SR20VET has 276 hp @6400rpm and 228lb/ft of torque @ 3200rpm.
But why did they put this engine in a truck? Maybe to test it out for the Silvia? maybe..
Now we all now that once people in Japan start getting them.. they'll slowly make their way over the ocean to the US
so Maybe this forum should change its name from SR20DE to the
SR20(D-V)E(T)
this way we get all aspects of the engine.. lol

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
It doesn't matter where the engine came from. In two or three years you'll be able to source one from some JDM distributor. This engine is so good guys with QR's will be making the upgrade
then

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
Think about how happy we will be in a few years, when we smoke QR guys in our SR20VEt's! I dont think that engine will respond well to lots of boost either. that's just my gut talkin though, based on what ive read so far.

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
Yeah camshafts are good for power, and i think the QR will respond very well with n/a tuning (i guess around 220-230 hp?). From there I dont think it will be receptive to boring out to increase displacement (maybe mildly), or outrageous boost (over like say 10-12lbs). even with the bottom rebuilt.
This is why; The QR is already light (20% lighter than the SR i think), and of large displacement for a 4-banger. That makes the whole engine weaker by necessity. You dont get somehting for nothing. I also beleive the QR has a somewhat long stroker engine. I dont think that type of engine is good for lots of boost correct?
On the other hand ive heard the SR can tolerate like 27 lbs of boost if you rebuild the bottom properly. The SR can get up to like 500 ponies if its treated right.
Time, and people who get pissed at posts like this one may prove me wrong, but I think initially the QR will be a tough nut for tuners to crack. I'll still be rooting for QR's to be popular, and succeed. I think its a wonderful car, and would totally buy one. You asked why, thats why. waddayou think?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts