SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THIS WAS POSTED FROM JORDAN ON THE MAILING LIST, EXCELLENT RESULTS.

I just went out and bought the June issue of Sport Compact Car, I will
post all the dyno results for the cam shoot out for the SR20 for those of us
unfortunate not to get the magazine:

Company Year Max HP gain - w/ECU Max torque gain - w/ECU
-------------- -------- -------------------------------

Comp72 91 [email protected] - [email protected] [email protected] - [email protected]

Comp72 98 [email protected] - [email protected] [email protected] - [email protected]

Comp68 91 [email protected] - [email protected] [email protected] - [email protected]

Comp68 98 [email protected] - [email protected] [email protected] - [email protected]

Tomei 91 [email protected] - 11.2 @7200 [email protected] - [email protected]

Tomei 98 [email protected] - [email protected] [email protected] - 19.2 @7100

JWT s3 91 [email protected] - [email protected] [email protected] - [email protected]

JWT s3 98 [email protected] - [email protected] [email protected] - [email protected]

JWT s4 91 [email protected] - [email protected] [email protected] - [email protected]

JWT s4 98 [email protected] - [email protected] [email protected] - [email protected]

Stock 91's vs 98's [email protected] [email protected]

The top HP gain came from the JWT s4 cams on the 98 with the ECU (not
currently available for sale) with a max gain of 31.7hp @ 7300rpm!! That's
like having a 30 shot of nitrous! :) And the best part is, you don't need to
fill a bottle to use these things.
Since the JWT s4's are not available yet the highest attainable figure
would be the 25.9 HP gain @ 7000 coming from the 98 without the ECU (since
the ECU for 98's is not available yet but the HP only increases by about 3
with it anyway.)
SCC did not actually declare a "winner" of the shoot-out, they leave that
decision up to the reader. Also note the suprising 15.1 HP gain from the
stock '91 intake cam versus the '98. That is a larger difference than
upgrading from the '91 cams to any of the cams involved in the shootout
except the JWT s4's. Very impressive numbers. In my opinion I would have to
say that JWT had the best numbers overall.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, these are pretty impressive results. My question is, where does the 95 compare to the 98? Are they mildly better or roughly the same?? These are just really good numbers and I want them in my car!! Maybe just doing the 91 cams would be good enough. Any input from people with different cams?? Also, do the S3 cams affect driveability much(idle, etc)?? thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
The 95-97 is somewhere in between the 91-93(4?) and the 98-99. I think the 92 intake cam gained about 6-7hp over the 95-97. With no concerns about idle.
And only about $150 from courtesy. So any 98-99 owners especially who aren't going to do the JWT cams should look into this. It really isn't a hard install, just be careful!

The JWT S-3 cams. Do lope a bit. I have my idle set ~950-1000 rpm and that is pretty smooth, but nowhere near stock. This is with the ES dogbone and firewall motor mount inserts. The cams also have a surging while cruising at steady throttle ~2000-2400 rpm, also not very bad. But the cams and the CAI just kick ass. I am amazed, the car totally rips and wants to go much higher than 7100 (there i go, complaining again).

They affect drivability. I cant stop redlining the car, spinning the tires into 2nd (stock clutch even), and grinning like crazy:) Still get 31mpg.

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudes... I got the s3 cams with all bolt ons in my car and they "lope" beautifully at 750-800rpm. With the GReddy pipes it sounds really smooth from the back side. These S-O-Bs come on HARD at 5500rpm, especially with high octane gas. But here's the deal: In my 92, are these s4s gonna be much better than my s3s? I'm not sure I followed the comparison...

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
oh yeah, I actually grabbed 4th one day! It was awesome: I boiled 'em in 1st and 2nd, ripped 3rd good all the way to, ahem, 7800RPM!! and got a good chirp in 4th. I kinda felt bad for ragging her, but I think she kinda liked it...

·
Registered
194 Posts
I know this sounds like a silly question, but has anybody swapped cams on a mostly stock engine? I know some people have said if you change to a header without freeing up the intake and exhaust, you will won't see an increase in power...well scc did that exact thing with the classic se-r project. And the hotshot header made like 6-7 hp at the wheels with stock intake box and exhaust. I just think it would be nice to hit 7000-7500 rpms in my car and not just here noise! opinions please.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Really how easy is it to install cams? Sounds scary...I have removed the VC before to reseal it and I saw the cams, but all the other stuff around them and how do you know there sitting in there right and turned the right way?

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
nitrous,
I put the JWT S3 cams in my otherwise stock airflow 99 Sentra SE. I had the pulleys, but they dont interact with the cams.
They do make a diffence (was that your question?) Butt dyno says at least 10hp with the cams kicking in about 4500rpm and wanting to tear past redline. Below that the power felt stockish. Then added the place racing warm air intake and got about 5hp more. Then added the rest of the intake. WOO-HOO! Now the cams are really being used.

Did I answer your question?

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
ok, here is the deal, I will get my car dynoed before and after I get the cams....if you pay for em :) jk I am planning on getting my car dynoed soon, and I want to get the cams soon too, so I will let you guys find out what happens.

·
Registered
194 Posts
jacen99se, thanks that did help. I do have the Jim Wolf computer so I can hit 7700. I'm just trying to decide what's the next modification I want to save for. By chance, have you had an emissions test after the cam swap?

·
_______
3,640 Posts
I don't think a set of cams would mess with emmsions on *our cars*. The S3 cams are set up for high lift with little or no overlap. As long as you don't pull the EGR,cat or any of the other sheit off the car it should be fine.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
it must be nice, but then again, I got a buddy that is a state inspector :)

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
What's wrong with pulling the cat? Mine wasnt hooked to anything else and all it did was clog exhaust flow...

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
ya, the cat is pretty free flowing, really good design from the factory, if you race your car alot and have alot of track time and do not drive on the street alot, there is a place in Dallas called Norwood (maybe you have heard of them, they usually build twin turbo ferraris and such)anyways, they make a o2 emulator that makes the computer read that there is nothing out of the ordinary going on with the o2, only thing is they charge $120 for it

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
phew! mine's not obdII so I'll continue polluting... ah the smell of CO in the morning! I hate those damned cats, you shoulda seen mine after 80,000 miles; it looked like a black sponge was inside it (or lava rocks). I couldnt even see through it so I'm not replacing it. It feels great to have straight pipes...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts