SR20 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
VE powered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that the new Kumho Ecsta V700 is available on the tirerack site. Does anyone know how these tires stack up against the "old" V700s?

In the 14" diameter they're only offering two sizes: 195/55/14 and 225/50/14. Nothing available in the 205/55/14 I currently run. My guess is with the 225 there might be some fitment issues rubbing against the struts, so it looks like I'll be running the 195/55/14 next season.

Steve

·
Baby Blue VVL
3,202 Posts
i couldn't tell you about the old ones but i have had the new ones 205/50/15's for about 3k now and i will tell you this, i will run out of nerve far before i run out of grip...

just my two cents
O

·
Newbie? more like Old-bie
202 Posts
i couldn't tell you about the old ones but i have had the new ones 205/50/15's for about 3k now
I think Steve's asking about the race tires Kumho Ecsta V700, not the Ecsta 711 or 712. These Kumhos have only been available for a few weeks (if that).

Steve, I've heard they're a lot like the hoosiers for about $50 less each tire. I don't have any experience on these yet, but that's what I've heard.

Someone also told me that they might need to be shaved, which is true of the Victoracer V700s.

-LM

·
VE powered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SERCA96 said:

Steve, I've heard they're a lot like the hoosiers for about $50 less each tire. I don't have any experience on these yet, but that's what I've heard.

Someone also told me that they might need to be shaved, which is true of the Victoracer V700s.
Someone on our local autox list also posted they were similar to Hoosiers... lighter, faster wearing, not as good in the wet as the "old" V700. I'll probably get a set... gotta be worth a couple of tenths.

Steve

·
Registered
708 Posts
At our last event at Buttonwillow there was an FSP Corolla there with the new tires on it. The first thing that I noticed was how much tread there was on the tire. Much beefier than the Victoracers. Made me re-think about moving to STS since it looks like a set of these could last the entire season. But no I've got the mod bug now and there is no going back! STR maybe but only if it becomes a national class. The driver who is one of our local Toyota Drift Driver hot shots says they feel very similar to the original V700, but expected them to get better as they wore down a little. I'm sure if you got a new set for the nationals you would want to shave them.

Art

·
Newbie? more like Old-bie
202 Posts
Made me re-think about moving to STS since it looks like a set of these could last the entire season.
I doubt they'll last that long if you plan to run more than 1 event a month. I went through 2 pairs of front tires on my ES car this year in only 5 months. So about 1.5 sets (rear tires are still the same ones). Many of those runs were on concrete at Divisionals (peru, Oscoda, Toledo).

The new ones are supposed to be stickier, which is always a tradeoff for treadwear. They will wear faster. So don't expect to get more than 25-35 useable runs out of a set.

Be aware the new tire may suffer the same problems as the Victoracer in it's performance window. Those tires would suck until you got about 25-30 runs on them, or shaved them and put 8-12 runs down. Then, they'd work good for about 35-40 runs before fading away to a slow death.

-Larry MacLeod
looking to get a new solo ride next year

1 - 6 of 6 Posts