SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HEY GUYS!

I'm a new member around here. I drive a Honda Integra R and and begining to build my new SE-r for the Track... My question is I have a 94 classic, and was wondering if It would be worth while if I converted the induction to High Port induction like the 91 and 92 models. The reason I ask is I would like to get the new Jim Wolf Cams and have been told by a friend that they were designed for a SR20DE with high port induction.

Thanks for all the help!
~Neeraj

------------------
1994 SE-R red
2000 Integra R Black
Both fast as hell (Kinda)

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
just go turbo. ya, it depends on what cams you put in there, but the big ones have only been really seriously tuned with a hig port head, but you never know what could happen with proper tuning, not just throwing in and playing with timing.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Vtec, you were sort of told wrong. Let me explain.

There is evidence that the low-port SR20DE's (1994+) actually like the S3 and S4 cams better. Those are much milder though than the C-cams, which so far, have been proven to work better on the highports. Not enough data to do a complete comparison.

And oh yeah, it's probably not worth taking out your low-port and putting in a high-port. The few extra HP isn't worth all the money and time. Just get a turbo

------------------
-Nuke the bastards-

Stormy
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Spings, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), Brembo X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli P700z's

www.WhiteLineRacing.com

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Not for track use personaly I wouldnt go turbo without MAJOR cooling and other things. If you were planning on changing heads, what I would do is just swap out for a JDM sr20de get the higher compression and bigger cams stock. Then possibly S3's or so in it. dont know about the c series in a high compression motor.

the 94 low port is one of the better low ports since it was the first step of making the cams milder, so its not as bad as 95-97 and alot better than 98-99. you could go with s3/s4's and probaly be happy. Just make sure you get some pullies since its going to be a track car.

LOVE those integra R's....98 is my fav flavor

·
/// God Speed! ///
1,917 Posts
I would first off change your user name to something other than a Honda trade mark.

Just a thought

Darren

------------------
91 Classic running 9.6's in 1/8 W/ Header& PR CAI

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Storm88000:

hahah. I was gonna say that too...
</font>
Hey guys, I was just trying being humurous. I thought that Vtec on the Nissan board and Sr20de on the Honda board would be funny names!!! Anyway, Thanks for all the help. Definatly going to turbo it... the question is when??? next year... probably!

thanks again!
Neeraj

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
I really have some concerns about reliability of turbo kits on cars that were not intended to be turbocharged. If you are going turbo, I would not get an aftermarket kit, get an honest to goodness SR20DET.

If you want a good, reliable track car, I say put a 91-93 intake cam in your '94, leave the head alone otherwise, and do the usual bolt-ons: suspension, header, cold air, ECU, cams, etc.

I beat the hell out of my bolt-on '92 on track. Only a blown brake caliper seal has ever let me down.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

·
Hi Officer, how ya doin'?
438 Posts
Reliability really shouldn't be a major concern for us because first of all our blocks are very stout with very strong main caps and internal webbing. Have you seen the rod on a SR20? It's as big a small block chevy's pink rod! The weak link is our cast pistons.
Second, as long as we have proper tuning that manages the air/fuel ratio correctly, the engine will live a long life. Using a JWT ECU will ensure that!
Third, our engines basically are built for turbocharging based on how closely the DE and DET are. The DET offers oil piston squirters and beefier rod and main bearings.
These both can be incorporated in a build up of a SR20DE.
Lastly, how do I know a stock SR20DE can handle boost? I've been turbo'd since '97 with a stock motor running 12's in the quarter and looking for 11's!

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Hey Matt, don't we both have low ports on ours? Mine being a 91 yours being a 92.</font>
If the TB is low, it's a high port. If the TB is high, it's a low port. We have high port SR20s.

Vtec, when you say track, you mean what? Drag strip? Road course?

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

·
They're just cones!
1,941 Posts
You don't need your car any faster than it is now. It's not like some guy is going to show up with a 200sx and lap you or anything. Or maybe I will...

------------------
-=Matt=- 97 SE-R 94,000smiles+, POP, custom 2.25" exhaust, ACT, Shifter, ST sways, AV22VFs (new!)

·
too many toys
386 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Big Boost:
Reliability really shouldn't be a major concern for us because first of all our blocks are very stout with very strong main caps and internal webbingB]</font>

My question is: are you still running on your first transmission? That is the weak spot...

Aaron

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Driven97:
You don't need your car any faster than it is now. It's not like some guy is going to show up with a 200sx and lap you or anything. Or maybe I will...

</font>
Um, Yeah, I don't think so.

Anyway, I think the trans was rebuilt by the former owner (Driven97's sister). When I say track I mean road course all the way... but even if i take it to the drag strip, it will be faster than a certain 97 SE-r that I know... AHEM.....

So I think next year's mods will be ECU, CAMS and Full suspension. that ought to do it.

Oh yeah, My sentra has a custom 2.5 inch manderal bent exhaust and HS cold Air induction so far!

~Neeraj

------------------
1994 SE-R red
2000 Integra R Black
Both fast as hell (Kinda)

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">When I say
track I mean road course all the way</font>
Cool. Then I must vote for you to stay away from forced induction for track. With the standard bolt-ons (i/h/e, cams, ECU, pulley, GC coilovers, etc.) I really think you'll have a car that is more reliable and still very fast. Just my $.02. I've seen too many turbo or supercharged Miatas, Civics, Integras, etc. blowup on track to recommend it to anyone. Daily driving is one thing. Track driving is quite another.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[/QUOTE]

Cool. Then I must vote for you to stay away from forced induction for track. With the standard bolt-ons (i/h/e, cams, ECU, pulley, GC coilovers, etc.) [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was thinking of Turbo, but then all the advice from this board is great... also, Driven97's 97 SE-R had boilover in his coolant reserve with a N/A engine... so What now... Bolt on's or Variable valvetrain?...
About suspension GC.. what rates do you recomend? 300, and 200, rear and front?

thanks!
Neeraj- who thinks that Nissans are more durable than hondas.... (something is wrong with my honda's transmission right now!)

------------------
1994 SE-R red (Cat-back and HS CAI)
2000 Integra R Black (Cat-back and Vtec...that's enough!)
Both: Faster than Driven97
ooooooooooh

·
They're just cones!
1,941 Posts
My resevoir boilover occurred after only a very short lap session, something like 10 minutes of driving or less. It happened repeatedly, even after long cool down periods. In SCC articles Mike reccomends using the radiator cap from a 300zxTT because of its higher pressure. Would this help?

Check out the topic "Ground Control People" in the General Forum for a good discussion on spring rates.

Dude, Vtec, I hate to say it, but what has happened every time I've driven your car? Oops, I go faster...

... And I'm still mad you got the Sentra and not me...

------------------
-=Matt=- 97 SE-R 94,000smiles+, POP, custom 2.25" exhaust, ACT, Shifter, ST sways, AV22VFs (new!)

[This message has been edited by Driven97 (edited 09-26-2001).]

G

·
Actually you will get more power from the JWT cams w/ the newer induction in 94+. Proven by test results in the June 2000 Sport Compact Car. Here's the results.

JWT s3's w/out JWT ECU on 91 - 93 SE-R's
-1.0 Average Power Gain 2100-4400RPM
5.7 APG 4400-7100RPM

JWT s3's w/ JWT ECU on 91-93 SE-R's
-0.7 APG 2100-4400RPM
5.9 APG 4400-7100 RPM

JWT s3's w/out JWT ECU on 94+ SE-R's
-2.2 APG 2100-4400RPM
12.5 APG 4400-7100RPM

JWT s3's w/ JWT ECU on 94+ SE-R's
-1.9 APG 2100-4400RPM
12.7 APG 4400-7100RPM

JWT s4's w/out JWT ECU on 91-93 SE-R's
-1.9 APG 2100-4400RPM
6.0 APG 4400-7100RPM

JWT s4's w/ JWT ECU on 91-93 SE-R's
-1.4 APG 2100-4400RPM
6.2 APG 4400-7100RPM

JWT s4's w/out JWT ECU on 94+ SE-R's
-3.1 APG 2100-4400RPM
12.8 APG 4400-7100RPM

JWT s4's w/ JWT ECU on 94+ SE-R's
-2.6 APG 2100-4400RPM
13.0 APG 4400-7100RPM

There you go. I will say this. The article states that the every-day driveability, esp. at idle is horrible on the s4's w/out jwt's ecu, and it's pretty obvious by the results that the jwt ecu is a bargain at $430.00 if you use their cams. Just a note too. At 7300 RPM (sr20de capable of 7700RPM fule cutoff w/ JWT ECU) a 94+ will make an additional 31.7 ponies, HOLY CRAP!!

-----------
94' SE-R; HKS cat-back, HS Header, JWT POP, a few other little goodies.

G

·
Ohh yeah, also. My 94 SE-R is on it's third clutch. Last one a performance model from Clutchmaster. No tranny probs. yet. 94+'s have a reworked tranny w/ slightly stiffer components. I drive my car like hell too!!

-------------
94 SE-R; HKS cat-back, HS Header, JWT POP, a few other goodies.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Driven97:
Dude, Vtec, I hate to say it, but what has happened every time I've driven your car? Oops, I go faster...

... And I'm still mad you got the Sentra and not me...

</font>

You wern't faster at Gingerman last month in my car. I guarentee it!! hee hee

------------------
1994 SE-R red (Cat-back and HS CAI)
2000 Integra R Black (Cat-back and Vtec...that's enough!)
Both: Faster than Driven97
ooooooooooh

1 - 20 of 20 Posts