SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm new here. I've been doing some research on working on my car this summer, and a friend turned me onto this forum. I've got a '96 200sx.

She's a good car, but I'm looking at doing some work on her this summer. The body is starting to succumb to rust.

So I'm going to try to fix the rust and repaint the car. I'm wondering if anyone has run into this body damage before, and if they have any tips on fixing it.

rear wheel

drivers door

passenger door

underneath not so good either

Are there replacement brackets for the fog lights? Or after market lights?

Any ideas on the best way to go about handling this?

On top of all that, I'm looking at doing a 2.0 turbo conversion on the car. I'm looking for a project to keep me busy this summer, and it will be easier to paint as a shell anyways. So what I am looking for is a little more understanding of the process, from what I've found a bluebird from JGY customs, as well as the 2.0 transmission, is the way to go.

I'm not looking to go all out, but just be a fun daily driver. I was wondering if anyone here has any tips on the conversion process, I found this guide but it leaves a lot of details out... I've never done a motor swap before, but I know my way around a wrench and have a lot of connections to mechanics.

I guess I also want to know if you all think it is worth the effort. I'm hoping to keep the project reasonable, around $4000 if possible. I work at an auto parts store, so any stock 2.0 parts, radiator and so on, I can get fairly cheap. Looking to install it all, as well as any mods that are easier with the engine/tranny out, like a short throw, this summer leaving things like suspension to later, stuff I can do without dropping the motor and tranny again. ANY advise on this type of project will be wonderful. Thanks in advance!

-glahti

·
What of it!?
64 Posts
GL, Search around the forum, you'll find any and everything you need to know about doing the swap and various other plans you have, As far as the body work... Good luck

·
Warp-drive engineeer
609 Posts
WOAH THERE!!!

Okay, man. There's enough rust on that car as well as other issues for me to politely suggest that you just buy an SE-R and turbo it for that $4000. There are plenty for sale on the board here that would be worth doing it to, and you wouldn't have to hassle with other short comings fo the non-SE-R's as well (IE rear brakes)

·
Registered
605 Posts
the 1.6 to 2.0 conversion is alot of money and as far as work goes,its pretty simple,as long as u have all the **** u need,and if its automatic,that even more work.there a huge write up on that hole swap somewhere.and u defiantely need to get rid of those headlgith for some stock ones.and as far as that rust goes,ya thas realy bad.ive never seen that much rust on a b14 in my life lol.but goodluck with the whole thing and keep us updated on everything.anf for the motor,u dont want a bluebird motor,reason why is the trannys they come with are all wheel drive,u want the sr20det motor,either u12 or u13.and jgy is the best palce to roder from but there expensive but its good ****.and once again goodluck with the swap.ive done one before and its simple but theres alot of **** to do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, that's what Minnesota does to cars, around here that's not even considered bad... It's manual already, so I don't have to do that changeover. Almost all the SR20DETs I've found come with RWD trannys... so they do me no good. Yeah it's going to be expensive, but where's the joy in just buying the car?

·
SouthPaw
2,022 Posts
member jjkamikaze(or Nismo the Dog, cant remember which name on which forums we are both on) just very recently swapped an sr20ve and 5 speed transmission into his b13. He might have some tips since he just did the swap recently.

My own opinion? Get a new rust free car. Even if you want to do the engine/tranny swap, get a new car. Since your car already has cancer, it is more prone to further rust spots later. You can still get another 1.6 if you are adamant about doing the work, but starting with a 2.0 will make life much easier. Then you can just get a b15/p11 lsd transmission swap and the new turbo hawtness is sr20vet. Swap in a VE and you can get a stock bluebird setup for around 1 grand. The VE has much better flow/hp/and VVL. 3 thrigs that make it trump a standard DE. You may just want to swap pistons for lower compression if you intend to use heavy boost.

Thats my 2 cents, I just hope you consider ALL options before you make your move.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, every site I look at has conflicting information. Will any sr20det bolt up to an SX-R FWD tranny?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts