SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After adding an extra ventillation hole to our motor (which saw only 4 laps of total time, stupid used JDM motors...):

We decided to buy this motor that Marty found:

This thing has never, ever been installed in a car... Came as a complete US longblock (with EGR crap, etc) from Nissan. Started, but never installed. The motor, literally, has ZERO miles on it.

Yes, that's inspection paint...

I only cleaned it with some simple green. Didn't even need a brush, the only thing dirty about it was the dust on it. Didn't clean any of the ports or scrape the gasket off the exhaust side. Motor was so fresh, the paper gaskets on the intake manifold, etc, came off in one piece...

·
Guanaco Tuner
3,049 Posts
So are you going to perform a new engine "break-in" ? Or are you going to let the bottom end "break out". :D

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Damn, how did you guys find that?

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When Nissan moved, they needed to unload some of these motors they had sitting there, so they gave them away to schools and Marty's friend somehow got a hold of one...

So yeah, this is the last time you'll probably see a never used high port...

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
Man, you can't get better than that. How'd you find that damn thing?

C

·
Guanaco Tuner
3,049 Posts
We have two of those here (UC Davis) but they are highport P10 "infiniti" motors. We used them for our CAD/CAM Engineering classes. I had to reproduce the exhaust manifold using IDEAS. The whole class was assigned an engine part. Then we were supposed to "assemble" it. I wish I still had the data files.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
I heard about something similar happening when the Sentra line moved from here to Mexico. It was something along the lines of a dumpster full of motors.

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We have two of those here (UC Davis) but they are highport P10 "infiniti" motors. We used them for our CAD/CAM Engineering classes. I had to reproduce the exhaust manifold using IDEAS. The whole class was assigned an engine part. Then we were supposed to "assemble" it. I wish I still had the data files.

What happened to those motors?

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Man, you can't get better than that. How'd you find that damn thing?

C
Oh no you don't C. You got treed, so you need to man up and not delete your post. :)

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I heard about something similar happening when the Sentra line moved from here to Mexico. It was something along the lines of a dumpster full of motors.
Such waste. We could've ventillated those in no time...

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Makes me hope this one was never reassembled...

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
More carnage...

So, I pulled the header off (among other things), and found this still on top of it:

****'ll buff out... :D

And found this on our Gen VI (which I had to remake the 3" section of because it didn't clear the P10 crossmember very well):

I'll have to get a dent puller, pull it out, then weld the hole in.

Looking underneath, you can see some real carnage:

Luckily the girdle and upper pan took most of the impact, otherwise I'd be remaking the header...

If you look, you can see the piston, sans wrist pin casting (we found that on the crossmember). You can also see a really burned up rod journal.

Another shot of the previously posted hole:

So, my theory is the rod bearing burned up from either a lack of oil (maybe got clogged?) or something else and didn't immediately kill the rod; instead the interference pulled the wrist pin casting out of the bottom of the piston (the spark plug on that cylinder is flattened, but not shot to hell) and then the free rod spun around like a labrador's tail and took out all kinds of other ****.

Either way, good times. I'm just glad I could put the car out...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts