SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a black '95 SE-R this past weekend. Runs well, needs new plugs and wires though, I believe. Little hesitancy when you first get on the throttle. My first question is what is the best plug/plug wire combo for the SE-R?

I've also noticed a slight scraping sound that seems to be coming from my front left wheel. At first, thought it was the brakes, but had them replaced and paid for by the owner before I bought it. After driving it home I noticed the car still makes a slight scraping sound like(kirshhhh kirsshhh) and I hear it the worst when I turn the wheel. I owned a 240sx in the past and had to replace the power steering pump around 60,000 miles for a similar noise. I was wondering if any of you thought this may be the problem because even when I'm off the brakes the car makes this racket.

Just one more question. I have a pretty stiff clutch pedal and kind of a creeking sound when I depress the clutch. It's a stock Nissan clutch that was replaced about 8,000 miles ago, the owner told me. He even had the service bill from the dealer. It grips fine, but the pedal is very stiff, almost like a racing clutch. Any way to soften this up a little? I have a hard time believing the stock clutch originally has this stiff of a pedal feel.

These may sound like a lot of problems or concerns, but that's just me. The car's in really good shape, I'm just a perfectionist when it comes to my ride.

Thanks in advance for any help.

------------------
'95 200sx SE-R

AIM: GTS24v

[This message has been edited by GTS (edited 05-15-2001).]

·
Registered
909 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GTS:
Just bought a black '95 SE-R this past weekend. Runs well, needs new plugs and wires though, I believe. Little hesitancy when you first get on the throttle. My first question is what is the best plug/plug wire combo for the SE-R?
</font>
Stock/Stock Always stay with the stock plugs (NGK) and wires.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Just one more question. I have a pretty stiff clutch pedal and kind of a creeking sound when I depress the clutch. It's a stock Nissan clutch that was replaced about 8,000 miles ago, the owner told me. He even had the service bill from the dealer. It grips fine, but the pedal is very stiff, almost like a racing clutch. Any way to soften this up a little? I have a hard time believing the stock clutch originally has this stiff of a pedal feel.

</font>
Change your clutch cable.
It is a simple job and you can get the part at a number of places for like $40.

------------------
MarC

hood made transparent for your viewing pleasure http://members.home.net/mnmanderson/Publish/
AIM SER96MarC

·
Registered
56 Posts
gts.....i'm the same way. i bought my white auto 97 ser a month ago and i'm still stressin about little noises and stuff. kinda wish i had bought a 5 speed, but i do a lot of intown stop and go driving, so it's cool. it sounds like you did good if the owner had all of the records and stuff for the car. well....enjoy your se-r. later
derek

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses so far, guys.

MarC- Can I pick these parts up anywhere outside the dealer? I'd rather not pay retail costs.

Anyone else out there have an idea of what the sound coming from my wheel area could be? It could be coming from the front general area of the car, but it sounds like it's coming directly from the left front wheel when I have my windows down.

------------------
'95 200sx SE-R

[This message has been edited by GTS (edited 05-15-2001).]

·
_______
2,170 Posts
I would check your cv boots and make sure that one of them hasn't ripped and sprayed grease everywhere.

If the car has been run for too long without lubrication, it will need to be replaced (and will make noise). I think it's pretty safe to say that if it's reached the noise-making stage, it needs to be replaced, rather than repacked with grease.

·
Registered
513 Posts
What does the noise coming from your wheel sound like? A clicking noise is the CV, and metal on metal type noise is the bearing. In my case it was the bearing. Still haven't gotten a chance to put it on ;(

------------------
Kevin
93 Classic
w/ advanced timing & Stillen POP

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, guys. You've been a big help. Gracias.

------------------
'95 200sx SE-R

·
Registered
844 Posts
Hey GTS, if it is a scraping sound you can check the wheel wells. that black plastic that covers the wheel well. my wheels were scraping that because some of the pins came out. the wind was pushing it towards the tire and scraping when I turned. or if you have after market large wheels they sometimes rub it.

------------------
The dirty rain falls in funky town
95ser W/s3,place race CAI,header,catback,JWT ECU,short throw,17" shoguns,kyb,pro lines,strut tower, yadda,yadda...

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
GTS, Hi. My stock clutch is very light. Too much so actually, for my taste. I'll give this some attention soon hopefully. Glad to hear about the wires and plugs everyone. How much do NKG wires cost, and are they worth it? Maybe consider cleaning the throttle body, and setting your timing also GTS.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's not a clicking sound.. it's like a kirsssshhh - kirsssshhhhhh sound.

How much would a bearing cost?

------------------
'95 200sx SE-R

·
Low flying black object
669 Posts
I would probably say wheel bearing...but of course without hearing it, you can't 100% sure..definitely stay with thte NGK plat plugs...and either OEM wires..or NGK wires.

as for the clutch..replacing the cable may help...I would do that and see what happens. Then again, it may be the throwout bearing if they didn't install properly, or forgot to lube it..

------------------
Brad B. 96 SE-R
PR CAI,HS Gen 4,ACT,ES motor mnts,1.8 dropw/AGX's,F&R STB's,17deg timing,91 intake cam,NGK wires,205/40/17 Kumho 712's

·
Registered
909 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GTS:
MarC- Can I pick these parts up anywhere outside the dealer? I'd rather not pay retail costs.

</font>

Get it at either Courtesy Nissan or Cherry Hill Nissan. You can get there phone numbers on www.se-r.net look in the dealers section.

------------------
MarC

hood made transparent for your viewing pleasure http://members.home.net/mnmanderson/Publish/
AIM SER96MarC

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You read my mind, Bennitto.

What did you use to clean out your throttle body/intake area? I'm going to do that before my tune-up, because I don't want to get carbon on my new plugs.

The NGK plugs and wires are great for japanese engines. I especially like the platinum, even though they're expensive. I ran them on the Probe GTS I used to own, which had a Mazda powerplant. Worked better than any others I tried.

------------------
'95 200sx SE-R

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Again, thanks for the responses, guys.

Another question, have any of you cleaned your injectors? I'm pretty sure the previous owner ran regular unleaded on occasion. I can hear a little knocking coming from the engine even though it has low mileage(48,000). I plan on running synthetic oil and cleaning the fuel system, but I read on SE-R.net that fuel injector cleaners are bad for this engine. Have any of you still done this anyway?

Thanks, you've all been a big help.

------------------
'95 200sx SE-R

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
I will be using gumout carb cleaner when I do it later this week. If your changing the plug wires take the slack out of the rotor. It's called wayne cox's horsepower trick on SE-R.net. They say it's good for throttle response, and takes like ten minutes.
Oh and injector cleaner's are bad for our cars.

[This message has been edited by Bennitto Mallito (edited 05-16-2001).]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the tip.

So is there absolutely no way to clean the fuel system?

------------------
'95 200sx SE-R

·
Registered
705 Posts
I knew it..another Probe owner...Dont worry, im just bustin on ya. ClubSi inst Probe friendly usually.

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Matrix FSTB, Stillen GTR grill

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not many places are, rpw.

Damn, I can't believe there's no way to clean the injectors on this car. I'm sure this couple ran 87 octane often.

------------------
'95 200sx SE-R

1 - 20 of 20 Posts